Dinner

Old Nov 13th 2017, 6:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Dinner

Originally Posted by Made in Sheffield 1
I had steamed chicken in a large Yorkshire pudding (frozen), with mash (frozen), stuffing (dried), peas (tinned) and gravy (granules).

Yes, I feel ashamed.
Apart from the mash, that's how I'd make all that food, don't be ashamed.

Although I did make gravy from scratch last week with the toad-in-the-helmet I made and it was spectacular.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 6:38 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

Leftover roast chicken from the weekend. Always save all the bits of skin too "soggy" to eat direct from the oven first time (the parts from the back, underneath, are the best). Dry fry those pieces of skin on a flat pan until they turn brown and crispy, cooking in their own fat. They are a delicious chewy crispy appetiser (may need a bit of salt but nothing else) full of intense chicken umami.

Then in the same pan, which should now have a slight coating of the chicken fat, toss the torn (not chopped: you need the frayed edges) pieces of chicken meat on quite a high heat with some seasoning - whatever you like but I'm favouring salt, pepper, chipotle flakes and crushed fennel seeds lately. Keep stir-frying until the frayed edges of the torn chicken have started to get brown and crispy. Serve tossed in a salad of avocado (the riper the better), cherry tomatoes, scallions and some crunchy leaves. I like a dressing made from greek yoghurt, lime juice, a little fish sauce and chipotle sauce - you don't need too much of this as the avocado will act as a kind of sauce for the crispy bits of chicken...

Don't ever claim chicken is boring. Two greedy bastards will leave enough from the delicious 1.2kg roast chicken at the weekend to feed two normal people (or one super greedy bastard) for a nice weeknight dinner .

A lively white like a picpoul pinet or gruner veltliner or a verdejo/verdelho is a perfect accompaniment.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

How do you find the time to cook? I don't get home most days till after eight, just enough time to pull together a quick salad if I can be bothered to eat something. In bed by 10 and up at 5:30.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

How long do people take cooking these dishes ??

Since the wife has decided to take residence back to the UK I am back to fending myself .
Old Nov 13th 2017, 6:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
Leftover roast chicken from the weekend. Always save all the bits of skin too "soggy" to eat direct from the oven first time (the parts from the back, underneath, are the best). Dry fry those pieces of skin on a flat pan until they turn brown and crispy, cooking in their own fat. They are a delicious chewy crispy appetiser (may need a bit of salt but nothing else) full of intense chicken umami.

Then in the same pan, which should now have a slight coating of the chicken fat, toss the torn (not chopped: you need the frayed edges) pieces of chicken meat on quite a high heat with some seasoning - whatever you like but I'm favouring salt, pepper, chipotle flakes and crushed fennel seeds lately. Keep stir-frying until the frayed edges of the torn chicken have started to get brown and crispy. Serve tossed in a salad of avocado (the riper the better), cherry tomatoes, scallions and some crunchy leaves. I like a dressing made from greek yoghurt, lime juice, a little fish sauce and chipotle sauce - you don't need too much of this as the avocado will act as a kind of sauce for the crispy bits of chicken...

Don't ever claim chicken is boring. Two greedy bastards will leave enough from the delicious 1.2kg roast chicken at the weekend to feed two normal people (or one super greedy bastard) for a nice weeknight dinner .

A lively white like a picpoul pinet or gruner veltliner or a verdejo/verdelho is a perfect accompaniment.
Sounds delicious, apart from the fact you chose chicken for your weekend roast? I think roasts are overrated at the best of times but roast chicken? MAT I thought better of you good sir.

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
How do you find the time to cook? I don't get home most days till after eight, just enough time to pull together a quick salad if I can be bothered to eat something. In bed by 10 and up at 5:30.
Why so early and so late?
Old Nov 13th 2017, 6:42 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

You and the other Benedictine monks, that is, presumably...
Old Nov 13th 2017, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp

Why so early and so late?
I swim before work every morning. 2.5km. Plus my half hour of faffing around the changing room

Work from 8:30ish till 8 PM. Yeah, long hours. Busy, understaffed, it's Qatar and what else to do. When it's not so busy I still go back to the gym to work out so I still don't get back to the apartment till close to 8:30 most nights.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

You and the other Benedictine monks, that is, presumably...
Too ascetic for your tastes, eh?
Old Nov 13th 2017, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

How do you combine replies in one post like Scamp can do?
Old Nov 13th 2017, 6:50 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
How long do people take cooking these dishes ??

Since the wife has decided to take residence back to the UK I am back to fending myself .
I get home 6ish, change, have a smoke, then start cooking. Generally an hour or so I guess for a proper dinner and lunch combo?
Others are considerably quicker. Quite enjoy it.

I swim before work every morning. 2.5km. Plus my half hour of faffing around the changing room

Work from 8:30ish till 8 PM. Yeah, long hours. Busy, understaffed, it's Qatar and what else to do. When it's not so busy I still go back to the gym to work out so I still don't get back to the apartment till close to 8:30 most nights.
Some of that 8pm finish is choice then?
Can you do that super organised meal prepping stuff so you have all your dinners sorted and just reheat?
I hate eating late, so cooking / starting dinner at 9pm fills me with dread.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 6:54 am
...we killed the flame

Too ascetic for your tastes, eh?
Maybe except for this bit....

Plus my half hour of faffing around the changing room
Old Nov 13th 2017, 6:56 am
Account Closed

How do you combine replies in one post like Scamp can do?
Next to the 'Quote' button is a little square one with lines through it, click that for as many as you like, then hit reply
Old Nov 13th 2017, 7:00 am
...we killed the flame

Sounds delicious, apart from the fact you chose chicken for your weekend roast? I think roasts are overrated at the best of times but roast chicken? MAT I thought better of you good sir.
Oh dear, you are just sooooo wrong. Probably because you are doing it wrong. I've converted my bf from being completely dismissive, and even derisive of roast chicken, to being the one who insists we have it regularly now. Ok, he does then go and buy the most expensive bird from Spinneys every time but it's always delicious. Roasting a few veggies alongside, including simple things like onions and garlic which take no effort at all, just adds to the treat (and to the ingredients for the left-over stir-fry).
Old Nov 13th 2017, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

I get home 6ish, change, have a smoke, then start cooking. Generally an hour or so I guess for a proper dinner and lunch combo?
Others are considerably quicker. Quite enjoy it.

Some of that 8pm finish is choice then?
Can you do that super organised meal prepping stuff so you have all your dinners sorted and just reheat?
I hate eating late, so cooking / starting dinner at 9pm fills me with dread.
Next to the 'Quote' button is a little square one with lines through it, click that for as many as you like, then hit reply
Ah, many thanks.

Well, yes, it's personal decision to work late. I'm usually the only one in the office between 5:30 and 8, which I enjoy very much but the work isn't wasted either.

I do make a big pot of something on the weekend and have that for lunches during the week, along with the broccoli. Never felt the need to have a big / heavy meal at night, hence the salads. Sometimes I don't eat anything at all. Just not hungry.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Oh dear, you are just sooooo wrong. Probably because you are doing it wrong. I've converted my bf from being completely dismissive, and even derisive of roast chicken, to being the one who insists we have it regularly now. Ok, he does then go and buy the most expensive bird from Spinneys every time but it's always delicious. Roasting a few veggies alongside, including simple things like onions and garlic which take no effort at all, just adds to the treat (and to the ingredients for the left-over stir-fry).
Love roasts. My ma makes a brilliant roast chicken. And lamb and beef. And pork with the crackling. Keep it simple, bring out the flavour, don't make it complicated. That's the best approach to cooking, me thinks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.