Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Ding Dong the witch is dead

Ding Dong the witch is dead

Old Apr 15th 2013, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ding Dong the witch is dead

Originally Posted by Meow
What's the pro-Thatcher song? I am now avoiding all related stores in irritation. I've barely been able to read The Times (which I pay for !) for days.

The bias, which the pros are fiercely rejecting whilst perpetrating, is annoying, but it's very hard to change the mind of a bigot, so provided they shut up I (largely) will too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notsensibles
Old Apr 15th 2013, 8:46 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandboy

A band member said "I find it hilarious that Tories have adopted it. The song is a sort-of tribute and sort-of not."

Bandwagon jumping
Old Apr 15th 2013, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

I'm getting bored with it all now. Far too many blinkers all round.

I've reached Thatcheration point...
The blinkers work the other way round too, for those against her, it's hard to change their mind too (to quote another of your comments).
Old Apr 15th 2013, 8:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

does the fact that the BBC played the pro-thatcher song at #35 and didn't play Ding Dong at #2 not raise your hackles just a wee bit ?

not that the song was pro-thatcher at all but DM readers were probably never punks
Old Apr 15th 2013, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
the song the pro thatcher group chose to champion... which the band claim wasn't really pro thatcher at all

anyway, the fact the knackers chose not to play the song has generated way more publicity than it would have had they just played it to the handful of teenagers that might have been listening anyway

and football has overtaken politics today anyway, can't be wasting time arguing with tories when there are skunks expecting to be slaughtered this morning
Old Apr 15th 2013, 8:59 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

It'll be interesting to see the reaction when Tony Blair's time comes. Maggie without a doubt divided people...but surely the war in Iraq under very dubious circumstances has resulted in far more bloodshed?
Old Apr 15th 2013, 9:00 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

the song the pro thatcher group chose to champion... which the band claim wasn't really pro thatcher at all

anyway, the fact the knackers chose not to play the song has generated way more publicity than it would have had they just played it to the handful of teenagers that might have been listening anyway

and football has overtaken politics today anyway, can't be wasting time arguing with tories when there are skunks expecting to be slaughtered this morning
Where's Spugsy when you need him?
Old Apr 15th 2013, 9:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I wasn't having a dig, those two comments just made me laugh. I don't know the song (but skim-read the wiki entry)...it's just classic stuff when things like that are taken and championed and the people who created it are just left a bit blank-faced.

Go forth and hurt the skunks, particularly focus your efforts on Pardew. He's chief skunk.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 9:09 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millsyisland
The blinkers work the other way round too, for those against her, it's hard to change their mind too (to quote another of your comments).
Sure. I don't expect people to totally change their minds, but opening them a little would be a big step. Too many behave as if the sun shone out of her arse and refuse to accept that she did one single thing wrong.

I loathed her, but for example, I have said that action was required in respect of the unions - just not a heavy handedly as it was done. Not everything that was done when she was in power was wrong, but I still object to many of the attitudes. I'm no knit-your-own-muesli type, but capitalism can have a heart. (Nor am I a Labour supporter, despite knowing several of their senior figures.)

You see? Reasonable. Not what I'm seeing from her acolytes, most of whom have forgotten, or have chosen to forget the downsides. Even her surviving ministers have been less than fulsome in their 'praise'....
Old Apr 15th 2013, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Where's Spugsy when you need him?
nah, he's too sensible, doesn't talk shite too often

it's the post 92 keeganites who spent the week talking out of their arse who deserve grief, the same ones who never seem able to get a ticket
Old Apr 15th 2013, 9:27 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
It'll be interesting to see the reaction when Tony Blair's time comes. Maggie without a doubt divided people...but surely the war in Iraq under very dubious circumstances has resulted in far more bloodshed?
I hope he doesn't get a ceremonial funeral either.

I was optimistic when he came to power and sat up until 4am for the results. Such a shame he became a tool (deliberate choice of words) of the Bush administration.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 9:33 am
Account Closed

nah, he's too sensible, doesn't talk shite too often

it's the post 92 keeganites who spent the week talking out of their arse who deserve grief, the same ones who never seem able to get a ticket
They're up there with 80's Liverpool fans eh.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

Sure. I don't expect people to totally change their minds, but opening them a little would be a big step. Too many behave as if the sun shone out of her arse and refuse to accept that she did one single thing wrong.

I loathed her, but for example, I have said that action was required in respect of the unions - just not a heavy handedly as it was done. Not everything that was done when she was in power was wrong, but I still object to many of the attitudes. I'm no knit-your-own-muesli type, but capitalism can have a heart. (Nor am I a Labour supporter, despite knowing several of their senior figures.)

You see? Reasonable. Not what I'm seeing from her acolytes, most of whom have forgotten, or have chosen to forget the downsides. Even her surviving ministers have been less than fulsome in their 'praise'....
Yep, sounds reasonable to me - I think for most uf us it's like marmite - either love or hate.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scamp
They're up there with 80's Liverpool fans eh.
in the 80s they would have supported Liverpool, they just latch onto the next bandwagon
Old Apr 15th 2013, 10:20 am
Account Closed

in the 80s they would have supported Liverpool, they just latch onto the next bandwagon
So now they must follow Chelcity United?

Tossers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.