Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Ding Dong the witch is dead

Ding Dong the witch is dead

Old Apr 14th 2013, 7:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Ding Dong the witch is dead

Originally Posted by britexpat76
That is the thing that really pisses me off. Anyone mid 30's + from an area that was effected by MT's policy can kick off and sing the said song.

Anyone else is just a cnut.
Oh I'm massively excludable (if that's a word) from any debate based on personal experience...still, everyone is allowed an opinion.

Suppose if she's to blame for everything bad that happened then perhaps I should be singing the song after the recession caused my parents' bankruptcy and split? Is that how it works?
Old Apr 14th 2013, 7:39 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp

Suppose if she's to blame for everything bad that happened then perhaps I should be singing the song after the recession caused my parents' bankruptcy and split? Is that how it works?
Her haters would think so mate.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 7:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by britexpat76
Her haters would think so mate.
Meh. Blame anyone for anything when possible. I don't really have much of an opinion I just dislike such venemous hatred for reasons that I can't fathom being pinned on one person.

Still, each to their own. I hope that people who consider celebrate the death of someone like this think twice before actually doing it.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 7:56 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I'm matching you pound for pound in the bait stakes right?

So the miners paid the mortgages of coppers instead of their own?

All of it is kind of irrelevant anyway, celebrating the death of someone is pretty poor. Especially when the majority appear to be younger than me.
How on earth could you possibly have come to that conclusion? Please don't be silly and twist the fact.

Police overtime, paid by the taxpayers, meant that many members of the police force received some very large pay packets for a period of time. Nothing partisan about that fact.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 8:00 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Meow
How on earth could you possibly have come to that conclusion? Please don't be silly and twist the fact.

Police overtime, paid by the taxpayers, meant that many members of the police force received some very large pay packets for a period of time. Nothing partisan about that fact.
Yeah, twisting it, but if there was no strike, there was no overtime, no?

Anyway, twisting and shouting aside...if it is nothing partisan then it's not worth bringing up in the first place.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 8:29 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, twisting it, but if there was no strike, there was no overtime, no?

Anyway, twisting and shouting aside...if it is nothing partisan then it's not worth bringing up in the first place.
And do you understand why there was a strike?

At the risk of sounding patronising, it's best to understand the issues before making comments like that.

The unions had got out of hand, but the methods employed against some of them were uncalled for. Most of the miners were striking as they knew they would be unable to support their families and felt they had no other choice. For the majority, a strke is not something they wanted, but felt they had to do to make a point as whole areas were about to suffer mass unemployment. That's a horrible prospect, no matter the circumstances and the politics.

I also loathed Scargill, but the issue of the mimsers strikes is not black and white from any point of view. To suggest otherwise is disingenious.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 8:43 am
Account Closed

And do you understand why there was a strike?

At the risk of sounding patronising, it's best to understand the issues before making comments like that.

The unions had got out of hand, but the methods employed against some of them were uncalled for. Most of the miners were striking as they knew they would be unable to support their families and felt they had no other choice. For the majority, a strke is not something they wanted, but felt they had to do to make a point as whole areas were about to suffer mass unemployment. That's a horrible prospect, no matter the circumstances and the politics.

I also loathed Scargill, but the issue of the mimsers strikes is not black and white from any point of view. To suggest otherwise is disingenious.
OK, but there is no logic to it.

Pit makes no money, it loses money. Demanding pay rises and pits not to shut via strike action is going to do what exactly? Lose the pits more money, alienate large portions of the rest of the population, lose salary and end up with the same result?

Whichever way it went it was going to end up in the same result, businesses or sectors in a business that lose money will eventually close because nobody can realistically run at a loss forever. It's a horrible situation for the men working and the communities that depended on the revenue they put back in but the result was surely quite obvious and the only thing that can alter each individuals outcome is their own actions in response to it.

If the business I work for was losing money month in month out and was standalone with no backing, I'd bust my arse to try and make more to avoid being cut, if that was a struggle then I'd certainly not have the option let alone consider striking to demand my job is safe.

I'm not suggesting it is entirely black and white and there are thousands of different stories that people can tell.

It's blatantly not worth me commenting further. As I said before, I'm clearly excludable.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 9:06 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Apr 14th 2013, 9:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Meh. Blame anyone for anything when possible. I don't really have much of an opinion I just dislike such venemous hatred for reasons that I can't fathom being pinned on one person.

Still, each to their own. I hope that people who consider celebrate the death of someone like this think twice before actually doing it.
I think this is one of the most coherent posts on here. There appears to be too much derision poured onto one individuals head. After all, Thatcher didn't do everything single-handedly; moronic cabinet ministers helped with unseemly enthusiasm.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 9:12 am
Bored liberal

OK, but there is no logic to it.

Pit makes no money, it loses money. Demanding pay rises and pits not to shut via strike action is going to do what exactly? Lose the pits more money, alienate large portions of the rest of the population, lose salary and end up with the same result?

Whichever way it went it was going to end up in the same result, businesses or sectors in a business that lose money will eventually close because nobody can realistically run at a loss forever. It's a horrible situation for the men working and the communities that depended on the revenue they put back in but the result was surely quite obvious and the only thing that can alter each individuals outcome is their own actions in response to it.

If the business I work for was losing money month in month out and was standalone with no backing, I'd bust my arse to try and make more to avoid being cut, if that was a struggle then I'd certainly not have the option let alone consider striking to demand my job is safe.

I'm not suggesting it is entirely black and white and there are thousands of different stories that people can tell.

It's blatantly not worth me commenting further. As I said before, I'm clearly excludable.

You aren't excludable. I think it's wrong for those of us old enough to remember to say that the views of anyone younger are invalid. If that were the case none of us would have a view on Hitler/Stalin/Mao/Ghandi etc. What is relevant is that people read around the topic and see it from the prespective of the time, not just read one newspaper.

Yes, the pits would probably have had to have closed eventually, but for me the issue was how it was done. The unions and the people were crushed. It could have been handled far more sensitively and far more time taken with a real effort to assist the thousands of people affected. The awful thing is that people in some of the areas affected are still dealing with the after effects.

The role of government is not just financial, it's also pastoral and that was the failing of the Thatcher years. You refer to businesses, but these were nationalised industries not private businesses. If you took the same view the NHS would be fully privatised tomorrow as it makes no money. A government subsidy is not always a bad thing as you have to look at the bigger picture.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 9:24 am
Account Closed

You aren't excludable. I think it's wrong for those of us old enough to remember to say that the views of anyone younger are invalid. If that were the case none of us would have a view on Hitler/Stalin/Mao/Ghandi etc. What is relevant is that people read around the topic and see it from the prespective of the time, not just read one newspaper.

Yes, the pits would probably have had to have closed eventually, but for me the issue was how it was done. The unions and the people were crushed. It could have been handled far more sensitively and far more time taken with a real effort to assist the thousands of people affected. The awful thing is that people in some of the areas affected are still dealing with the after effects.

The role of government is not just financial, it's also pastoral and that was the failing of the Thatcher years. You refer to businesses, but these were nationalised industries not private businesses. If you took the same view the NHS would be fully privatised tomorrow as it makes no money. A government subsidy is not always a bad thing as you have to look at the bigger picture.
I can't really disagree with the bit in bold. Do you think the way it was needed to bring the strike to an end as quickly as possible or would dragging it out for longer made it easier? (That's an actual question not a smart arse statement with a ? on the end).

Good point re NHS, but are they not different entities? NHS is there to provide a service to the public, the mines were meant to make money?
Old Apr 14th 2013, 9:24 am
Account Closed

Bollocks. Commented again.

I must like talking with you Meow.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 9:46 am
Bored liberal

Bollocks. Commented again.

I must like talking with you Meow.

That's 'cos I'm lovely and very rational
Old Apr 14th 2013, 9:49 am
Bored liberal

I can't really disagree with the bit in bold. Do you think the way it was needed to bring the strike to an end as quickly as possible or would dragging it out for longer made it easier? (That's an actual question not a smart arse statement with a ? on the end).

Good point re NHS, but are they not different entities? NHS is there to provide a service to the public, the mines were meant to make money?
Ideally, had the closures been handled better and Scargill not been such a difficult man, there may not have been strikes, or at least not to the same extent. You need to go back to why there were strikes, not just how they were ended.

I think Scargill and his people did his members a disservice in the way much of it was handled, but Maggie and her people are also to blame.

You see, it's never 100% one or the other, but both sides, timing and circumstances.

Blimey, I'm rational and open-minded today.

EDIT - yes re NHS, but mining was a nationalised industry. It was also for the people's benefit. (Theoretically owned by the people, like the gas and water we owned that she stole and sold off.)
Old Apr 14th 2013, 10:08 am
Account Closed

That's 'cos I'm lovely and very rational
I think it's probably more because you're not insulting.

Ideally, had the closures been handled better and Scargill not been such a difficult man, there may not have been strikes, or at least not to the same extent. You need to go back to why there were strikes, not just how they were ended.

I think Scargill and his people did his members a disservice in the way much of it was handled, but Maggie and her people are also to blame.

You see, it's never 100% one or the other, but both sides, timing and circumstances.

Blimey, I'm rational and open-minded today.

EDIT - yes re NHS, but mining was a nationalised industry. It was also for the people's benefit. (Theoretically owned by the people, like the gas and water we owned that she stole and sold off.)
I guess that's what I'm getting at, it's like a mini-war. There is never one factor that creates the win/loss/stalemate, it's always a combination of factors, their timing and their effect.

Still, bleating support or damning criticism are both blind without the measure of reason.

Good post. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.