Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Ding Dong the witch is dead

Ding Dong the witch is dead

Old Apr 13th 2013, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ding Dong the witch is dead

Originally Posted by Meow
I hadn't realised that the charts had turned into some sort of biased political lesson. Will the BBC be doing this with every other song with a political reference, or perhaps explaining what the latest Justin Beiber wail really means? I assume they think the British public are such morons that they cannot work anything out for themselves and make their own minds up?

And will they play True Blue if it makes it on the back of a pro Thatcher campaign ?

This is the police code name for her funeral btw, they are still in love with her, I guess she did pay off their mortgages though
Old Apr 13th 2013, 11:57 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OleJanx
Indeed! 'Belfast Child' by Simple Minds would no doubt cause some head scratching.
Mostly because its shite sung by Scotsmen If I recall that period of time Simple Minds were singing songs about any cause they could find.

There should be no censorship of the music imo.

one day I will get to hear Cannibal Corpse on the radio with frantic disembowelment, a serious look at the hidden dangers of stomach surgery performed too quickly.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 12:04 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly. There are loads of others too

UB40 - 1 in 10
Tom Robinson - Glad to be gay
The Special AKA - Free Nelson Mandela
US - Sunday Bloody Sunday
OMD - Enola Gay
Elvis Costello - Shipbuilding

That's just off the top of my head, but there must be hundreds.
Of all those you have listed, only Glad to be Gay received any sort of BBC ban, and that wasn't really a ban, as they decided not to play that track from the EP when it got into the singles chart, they played a different track. The ban obviously is not in effect now as the song was sung in the series 'Ashes to Ashes' by the character modelled on Tom Robinson.

You can find the full list of songs that have ever been banned by the BBC here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...C#cite_note-26

There are some very surprizing songs on there as well. Many of the bans were for only a few days or weeks and are now OK, I mean 'Boom-Bang-a-Bang'
Old Apr 13th 2013, 12:12 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Of all those you have listed, only Glad to be Gay received any sort of BBC ban, and that wasn't really a ban, as they decided not to play that track from the EP when it got into the singles chart, they played a different track. The ban obviously is not in effect now as the song was sung in the series 'Ashes to Ashes' by the character modelled on Tom Robinson.

You can find the full list of songs that have ever been banned by the BBC here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...C#cite_note-26

There are some very surprizing songs on there as well. Many of the bans were for only a few days or weeks and are now OK, I mean 'Boom-Bang-a-Bang'
I see Dead Kennedys too drunk to **** on there, I wonder why they banned that and not everything they wrote. There isn't one radio friendly song in their entire catalogue.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tarwild has a brilliant futureTarwild has a brilliant futureTarwild has a brilliant futureTarwild has a brilliant futureTarwild has a brilliant futureTarwild has a brilliant future

Lets be honest, if everyone who has bought the song chooses to play it loudly then the point will be made without the BBC needing to worry, Look at the Sex Pistols fame from God Save The Queen NOT being allowed to be played at the Silver jubilee but being played at the 2012 Olympics!
Results dont always show immediatly!
Old Apr 13th 2013, 12:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
6 months ago the BBC would have just playd the song, no problems, it's just that it has been downloaded so that it charted as a specific anti-Thatcher comment, in 6 months if it charts again then there will be no problems, also the funeral is still to be held, and, although I'm certainly not a Thatcher supporter in any way, I have to agree with the way the BBC is handling a very delicate situation.
well put.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tarwild has a brilliant futureTarwild has a brilliant futureTarwild has a brilliant futureTarwild has a brilliant futureTarwild has a brilliant futureTarwild has a brilliant future

Why, thank you kind person!
Old Apr 13th 2013, 12:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarwild
Why, thank you kind person!
bless - I wasn't referring to you
Old Apr 13th 2013, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
That's the point. It isn't. They are stuck between a rock and a hard place - the song isn't political, it's effectively an attack on a person. If the BBC play it they get slammed, if they don't they will get slammed. So, the four/five seconds seems a good way out (which was my first point about them making a good decision).

The BBC was hardly ever pro-thatcher or pro-right.
So they tried a sorry excuse of a compromise and they get slammed.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

I know, was just joining in!
Old Apr 14th 2013, 5:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Sandboy
This is the police code name for her funeral btw, they are still in love with her, I guess she did pay off their mortgages though
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/u...cle3737943.ece

Don't let facts get in the way of more toy-chucking eh.

If I had a mortgage, my employer would be paying it off for me...so what's different being a copper and the state effectively paying your mortgage?

Let it go...
Old Apr 14th 2013, 6:56 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/u...cle3737943.ece

Don't let facts get in the way of more toy-chucking eh.

If I had a mortgage, my employer would be paying it off for me...so what's different being a copper and the state effectively paying your mortgage?

Let it go...

I suspect Sandboy may be referring to the hundreds of hours of overtime the police had during the miners strike.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect Sandboy may be referring to the hundreds of hours of overtime the police had during the miners strike.

Scamps chucked loads of bait out this week and not had many nibbles, he'll be glad when the funeral's over and he can back to more comfy ground
Old Apr 14th 2013, 7:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Sandboy
Scamps chucked loads of bait out this week and not had many nibbles, he'll be glad when the funeral's over and he can back to more comfy ground
I'm matching you pound for pound in the bait stakes right?

So the miners paid the mortgages of coppers instead of their own?

All of it is kind of irrelevant anyway, celebrating the death of someone is pretty poor. Especially when the majority appear to be younger than me.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 7:35 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Celebrating the death of someone is pretty poor. Especially when the majority appear to be younger than me.
That is the thing that really pisses me off. Anyone mid 30's + from an area that was effected by MT's policy can kick off and sing the said song.

Anyone else is just a cnut.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.