British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Diet (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/diet-854346/)

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 12th 2015 4:27 am

Diet

Morning all,

The continuing semi-boredom of the new role leads me to feel the need to share with you happy bunch.

Mid-Jan mr mrs was continuing to bang on at me (in a nice, supportive way) about losing some weight.

I don't enjoy the gym, well, not in our building - it's too small, too busy and full of knob-jockeys. Like most gyms then. I won't go running, it's boring, shit and makes my tits jump around too much. Basically I don't really want to do exercise, much rather do sport.

Anyway, she and I were both feeling the nearly-5-yrs-together-comfort-weight quite badly. I'd hit 108kg (17stone).

So, she found a diet which was recommended from a friend, I'd never heard of it - 5:2. Apparently been around for a while but not on my radar.

It's a piece of piss.

5 days - do what I want, drink, eat - the works.
2 days - no more than 600 calories.

First week was dog shit. I hated it.

But now, it's a no brainer. There's a carrot and coriander soup in Waitrose that's 90 calories. I have that for lunch. I drink loads of water and black coffee.

Dinner is Kcal. Should probably do it the other way round (Kcal for lunch) but it's nice to have a meal to look forward to.

Now, I'm sure UKCityGent talked about fasting and things before, this seems easy and probably doesn't count as full on intermittent fasting but by jolly it has worked for me.

Let's say I've been doing it nearly 2 months / 8 weeks. I had two weeks off recently - one in the UK where I ate and drank a lot with family and one where I was ravaged by mandeathflu.

I've added in one 35-45min squash session a week with a mate.

I weighed myself this morning, post-piss, and was 100.8kg / 15 stone 12ish.

Hallelujah. It's a ****ing miracle. I'm having to get shirts taken in, suits adjusted, shorts adjusted.

Reason for the post;
1. To gloat. I'm even better looking without the extra cuddle.
2. If you're thinking about giving it a go, do it, it's not that horrid or difficult if I'm honest.

Scampcanseehiscockagain

shiva Mar 12th 2015 5:22 am

Re: Diet

5:2 works as does random and intermittent fasting.

Add in random maximum intensity short duration workouts and you're laughing.

food: eat in descending order, meat, vegetables, nuts and seeds, some starch, little fruit and no sugar. and avoid grains and all and any processed food.

supplement with vitamin d3, omega 3, calcium and magnesium.

dropped over 20kg in last two years by basically doing **** all

if you want to speed up weight loss add in cold showers or ice baths or for the lazy keep an ice pack on your neck and shoulders for 30 mins a day

Millhouse Mar 12th 2015 5:46 am

weight is 80% food, 20% exercise.
fitness is 80% exercise, 20% food.

What you eat in private, you wear in public.

5-2 diets etc, are ok for starting out but they are not sustainable over the long term.

Lose the weight, then start the exercise. Given your weight, I would do something simple on the exercise front. About 10mins of high intensity exercise a day will do wonders. I can't recommend the app "7" enough for this.

I lost 12kg in about 4 months through improving diet (pretty much just halved carb intake) and starting a 7min exercise program. I've since put on about 5kg, and go to the gym for long hard work outs about 3-4 times a week. The weight has gone on well, and I'm not carrying any fat at all now.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 12th 2015 6:11 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11589897)
weight is 80% food, 20% exercise.
fitness is 80% exercise, 20% food.

What you eat in private, you wear in public.

5-2 diets etc, are ok for starting out but they are not sustainable over the long term.

Lose the weight, then start the exercise. Given your weight, I would do something simple on the exercise front. About 10mins of high intensity exercise a day will do wonders. I can't recommend the app "7" enough for this.

I lost 12kg in about 4 months through improving diet (pretty much just halved carb intake) and starting a 7min exercise program. I've since put on about 5kg, and go to the gym for long hard work outs about 3-4 times a week. The weight has gone on well, and I'm not carrying any fat at all now.

Solid advice.

I think I'm going to keep this up for as long as possible. It's now just part of the routine. I'm going to add another night of squash so two really good run arounds a week.

Then we'll see. I've seen that 7 app before. MAybe worth downloading again. Ta

shiva Mar 12th 2015 6:18 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11589909)
Solid advice.

I think I'm going to keep this up for as long as possible. It's now just part of the routine. I'm going to add another night of squash so two really good run arounds a week.

Squash and runs won't hurt but a high intensity work out that's has you at 90% odd of your max heart rate and keeps it there for 5-15 mins will have a far greater effect. Plenty of studies have shown that as little a 4 mins of high intensity a week is as effective if not more so than several hours in the gym per week.

Look up tabata and do a tabata work out of almost any exercise. It'll hurt a lot and it should but damn it's effective

Millhouse Mar 12th 2015 6:19 am

Congratulations by the way. The hardest bit is starting and you've done that.

If you ever want a game of squash, I'm in. Not played for 15 years mind - my squash ball probably have dried out and cracked.

Millhouse Mar 12th 2015 6:29 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 11589911)
Squash and runs won't hurt but a high intensity work out that's has you at 90% odd of your max heart rate and keeps it there for 5-15 mins will have a far greater effect. Plenty of studies have shown that as little a 4 mins of high intensity a week is as effective if not more so than several hours in the gym per week.

Look up tabata and do a tabata work out of almost any exercise. It'll hurt a lot and it should but damn it's effective

Totally agree, the 7 app is basically tabata.

I also love doing 10-15minutes on the punchbag. Broken down in 30s on, 10s off, four times, followed by 30s off - do 3-4 sets of this.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 12th 2015 6:41 am

Trust me, my heart rate for 45 minutes of squash is off the chart.

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11589912)
Congratulations by the way. The hardest bit is starting and you've done that.

If you ever want a game of squash, I'm in. Not played for 15 years mind - my squash ball probably have dried out and cracked.

Thanks pal. I would happily play squash. I'm not great but I enjoy it, only thing is I play at Burj Views which my mate books. Do you have courts at your gym?

Millhouse Mar 12th 2015 6:45 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11589919)
Thanks pal. I would happily play squash. I'm not great but I enjoy it, only thing is I play at Burj Views which my mate books. Do you have courts at your gym?

sadly not, but I think we can blag some at the fitness first in Al Mazil. I'll have a look at it and email you.

What is your resting heart rate? I tick over at about 58 these days, it used to be 70+

csdf Mar 12th 2015 7:09 am

Squash and runs won't hurt but a high intensity work out that's has you at 90% odd of your max heart rate and keeps it there for 5-15 mins will have a far greater effect.

Have you ever played squash? I regularly hit my maximum heart rate playing it. There's a reason it's a sport famous for giving people heart attacks.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 12th 2015 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11589920)
sadly not, but I think we can blag some at the fitness first in Al Mazil. I'll have a look at it and email you.

What is your resting heart rate? I tick over at about 58 these days, it used to be 70+

Don't know, a lot probably.

Just got 84. But I had a fag about 10mins ago.

Originally Posted by csdf (Post 11589937)
Have you ever played squash? I regularly hit my maximum heart rate playing it. There's a reason it's a sport famous for giving people heart attacks.

Uh oh.

Millhouse Mar 12th 2015 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11589941)
Don't know, a lot probably.

Just got 84. But I had a fag about 10mins ago.

Uh oh.

62 - post coffee. You need to get that down mate :)

shiva Mar 12th 2015 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11589909)
Solid advice.

co durham boy Mar 12th 2015 8:48 am

Congrats on the changes , that's the hardest part . As it's been mentioned HIT is best , steady rate exercise becomes useless once your body adapts and it will adapt quickly .

Break it down to short intense session and do everything to failure if possible. Your eating plan will have to change as it's not sustainable plus the more exercise you do the more fuel it will need but the right fuel .

I find people complicate a very basic science with fitness an weight loss , make the training and right food choices part of the change and you will see long term results .

The more you do the more you body will want to do , if you can do 25 press ups the body an do 30 the next time . If you push it the weight will fall off you like a pair of knickers in The York Hotel .

Keep at it and keep it simple ;)

shiva Mar 12th 2015 9:08 am

Originally Posted by csdf (Post 11589937)

yes but theres a reason its not included in any high intensity work out regimen