British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Did You Know? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/did-you-know-633286/)

Autonomy Sep 30th 2009 9:37 am

Did You Know?

Very insightful video on the state of technology and the changing world because of it

Very cool indded

Cow Pie Sep 30th 2009 10:50 am

Re: Did You Know?

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 7977066)
Very insightful video on the state of technology and the changing world because of it

Very cool indded

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PHmwZ96_Gos

Absolutely superb - cheers for that!! The Karl Frisch blog is very interesting too...

MacScot Sep 30th 2009 11:57 am

Some good info for pub quizzes :thumbup:

Jeeper Oct 1st 2009 5:15 am

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 7977361)
Some good info for pub quizzes :thumbup:

Have you lot watched this...? http://www.storyofstuff.com/

MacScot Oct 1st 2009 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 7979707)
Have you lot watched this...? http://www.storyofstuff.com/

Watched it as far as the environment bit...exploitation of natural resources...destroying the environment...so dated and so wrong !

Jeeper Oct 1st 2009 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 7980489)
Watched it as far as the environment bit...exploitation of natural resources...destroying the environment...so dated and so wrong !

You reckon what's going on is wrong or that the presenter is wrong?

MacScot Oct 1st 2009 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 7980522)
You reckon what's going on is wrong or that the presenter is wrong?

The presenter...I'm a professional environmental consultant...and I detest this sort of nonsense being on the internet and fed to people by people who just do not have a clue !

Jeeper Oct 1st 2009 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 7980590)
The presenter...I'm a professional environmental consultant...and I detest this sort of nonsense being on the internet and fed to people by people who just do not have a clue !

The consumerism bit was good though......I mean..take dubai....how many people get a new mobile phone each year (or less) even though there is nothing wrong with the old one.

I was peer pressured into getting a new phone way back in 2005. Back then I had a cheap 100dhs phone from satwa (the basic nokia) and it worked a treat.
But mates would laugh at me.

Got convinced to get a new one. Bought a 1200dhs phone that had camera this and bluetooth that.

****.in thing died after about 8 months. I still have to original basic nokia now. It still makes phone calls and sends texts.

An ex once said to me when I was reluctant to buy a Dubai apartment in 2007 "what else are you doing with your money...counting it?".

Typical....most people think that once you've got a dirham or 2 in the bank you should go and spend it.

I hate the physical act of shopping and can't stand consumerism, fashion, trends etc. Load of tosh.

MacScot Oct 1st 2009 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 7980612)
The consumerism bit was good though......I mean..take dubai....how many people get a new mobile phone each year (or less) even though there is nothing wrong with the old one.

I was peer pressured into getting a new phone way back in 2005. Back then I had a cheap 100dhs phone from satwa (the basic nokia) and it worked a treat.

Got convinced to get a new one. Bought a 1200dhs phone that had camera this and bluetooth that.

****.in thing died after about 8 months. I still have to original basic nokia now. It still makes phone calls and sends texts.

An ex once said to me when I was reluctant to buy a Dubai apartment in 2007 "what else are you doing with your money...counting it?".

Typical....most people think that once you've got a dirham or 2 in the bank you should go and spend it.

I hate the physical act of shopping and can't stand consumerism, fashion, trends etc. Load of tosh.

That was a very good call...many people are suffering now by having bought at the wrong time...when the market was up !

littlejimmy Oct 1st 2009 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 7980489)

Are you saying the environment isn't being destroyed and natural resources aren't being exploited? I'm genuinely interested to know how.

The Dean Oct 1st 2009 3:45 pm

David Evans is my guru on this topic................ a quite brilliant article.

http://sciencespeak.com/NoEvidence.pdf

littlejimmy Oct 1st 2009 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 7981052)
David Evans is my guru on this topic................ a quite brilliant article.

http://sciencespeak.com/NoEvidence.pdf

Whether you believe in man-made global warming or not, I think it's blatantly obvious that humans have had an impact on the environment. No-one can seriously tell me we haven't. Mass extinctions, resource exhaustion, deforestation, pollution...

The real point is, however, what do we do about it...even what can we do about it? In the great scheme of things, in the lifetime of this planet, we are insignificant, and our influence will probably be minimal at the end of the day. We'll just be shaken off like fleas, and those people trying to "save the planet" needn't worry. The planet will outlive us and get over us very quickly.

The Dean Oct 1st 2009 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 7981158)
Whether you believe in man-made global warming or not, I think it's blatantly obvious that humans have had an impact on the environment. No-one can seriously tell me we haven't. Mass extinctions, resource exhaustion, deforestation, pollution...

The real point is, however, what do we do about it...even what can we do about it? In the great scheme of things, in the lifetime of this planet, we are insignificant, and our influence will probably be minimal at the end of the day. We'll just be shaken off like fleas, and those people trying to "save the planet" needn't worry. The planet will outlive us and get over us very quickly.

Yes but it would help if we could all agree on what the 'facts' actually are. For example, I read somewhere that, although the polar ice caps are shrinking in area, they are also thickening. What do we make of that?

And whether it's caused by us or is just the latest phase in some sort of megacyclical jobby is by no means certain.

littlejimmy Oct 1st 2009 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 7981200)
Yes but it would help if we could all agree on what the 'facts' actually are. For example, I read somewhere that, although the polar ice caps are shrinking in area, they are also thickening. What do we make of that?

And whether it's caused by us or is just the latest phase in some sort of megacyclical jobby is by no means certain.

The problem is that too many people are more interested in political dichotomies and posturing rather than dealing in facts. It descends too quickly into left v right and accusations that each side has an agenda. Like you say, there are lots of facts that are pretty certain, and many that are not so clear, but some will argue that black is white just for the hell of it, and some scientists have become as protective and fervent as the religious nutters they claim to be better than.

Confucius Oct 1st 2009 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 7980612)

And also, phones should be microwave friendly...