British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Did they try to blow up the Burj? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/did-they-try-blow-up-burj-631015/)

Autonomy Sep 16th 2009 5:24 am

Did they try to blow up the Burj?

Haha...

Report about Iran trying to blow up Burj Dubai not true, top official says...

http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Polic.../10349070.html

lionheart Sep 16th 2009 5:29 am

Re: Did they try to blow up the Burj?

No, just Israeli propoganda.

B Bear Sep 16th 2009 5:53 am

GN is correct in all matters all the time. End of story.

Emerald_Eyes Sep 16th 2009 6:14 am

Come on do you think they would actually disclose it if was true? Talk about bad for business. The truth of the matter is that Dubai is a terrorist target and the Burj Dubai is one of the most high profile targets in the Emirate. Although I would think terrorists would be more likely to target a Western hotel like one of the Intercons or Crown Plazas. These hotels are often on amber or red alert for potential attacks.

commander Sep 16th 2009 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Emerald_Eyes (Post 7935077)
These hotels are often on amber or red alert for potential attacks.

where did you get this information from?

admon Sep 16th 2009 8:42 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7935200)

probably BB..

Emerald_Eyes Sep 16th 2009 9:38 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7935200)

I'd rather not say, but it is someone very close to me who works in the hotel terrorist risk and security industry. They always tell me which places to avoid on a night out if there's an alert. It's usually for an expat frequented nightclub or bar.

littlejimmy Sep 16th 2009 9:44 am

It still surprises me that nothing has happened there, not even one rogue nutter has managed to blow himself up outside a club or mall or something, as happened in Doha a few years ago.

Autonomy Sep 16th 2009 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Emerald_Eyes (Post 7935409)
I'd rather not say, but it is someone very close to me who works in the hotel terrorist risk and security industry. They always tell me which places to avoid on a night out if there's an alert. It's usually for an expat frequented nightclub or bar.

can you give more detail on how the threats are assessed and by which body? also - some examples of a few "targets" recently.

Any detail on the origin of the threat - i.e. who is suspected of planning the attack?

On public forum would be great - but PM me if you wish...

MataHari Sep 16th 2009 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Emerald_Eyes (Post 7935409)

it would have been nice if you would have told people on here where not to go as well...
good thing nothing has ever happened...

Madam Medusa Sep 16th 2009 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 7936506)
it would have been nice if you would have told people on here where not to go as well...
good thing nothing has ever happened...

wow...who knew that we were taking our lives in our hands in more ways than one every time we go out on the town, lol...

MM, xx

The Dean Sep 16th 2009 6:35 pm

I strongly disagree that Dubai would be a terrorist target.

After all, why would you bite the hand that feeds you?

deemi786 Sep 16th 2009 7:01 pm

smoke and mirrors, here comes an attack on Iran and Pakistan.

Security here is dreadful, if anyone wanted to plant a bomb here they would have done it by now..

seven seas Sep 16th 2009 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by deemi786 (Post 7936821)
Security here is dreadful, if anyone wanted to plant a bomb here they would have done it by now..

OR:

Security here is so good, they have managed to foil an unknown number of attempted attacks...

Considering how many people don't even bother locking their cars overnight, I kinda think number two is the correct answer.
Considering how option one is a classic Torygraph comment, now I'm sure it's option two.

seven seas Sep 16th 2009 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 7936751)
After all, why would you bite the hand that feeds you?

(invoke from memory: picture of Saddam and Rumsfeld shaking hands after concluding a bout of rimming each other and swapping torture tips)