British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Diamonds as investment (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/diamonds-investment-693144/)

Ethos83 Nov 11th 2010 10:28 am

Diamonds as investment

One keeps hearing people say how they got a fantastic bargain on a diamond ring or earrings in the UAE and which was valued at a much higher price back in the UK.

So that has me speculating whether I shouild buy a loose diamond from the souks here and resell it in the uk for a nice profit when I go home for the holidays. Is such a thing possible?

lionheart Nov 11th 2010 10:30 am

Re: Diamonds as investment

Would you honestly trust a seller of diamonds here?

Kelli28 Nov 11th 2010 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 8975225)
One keeps hearing people say how they got a fantastic bargain on a diamond ring or earrings in the UAE and which was valued at a much higher price back in the UK.

So that has me speculating whether I shouild buy a loose diamond from the souks here and resell it in the uk for a nice profit when I go home for the holidays. Is such a thing possible?

I have diamonds although they are South African diamonds I have the blue print of the rough diamonds and a I got a quality report from the GIA (Gemilogical Institute of America). Not planning on selling them though, love em too much.:D

flares Nov 11th 2010 10:42 am

Must have been a good night if you're considering a diamond purchase.
I'll have to get a new hat Cilla!
:thumbup:

Blue Cat Nov 11th 2010 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 8975225)

yes it is very possible, you don't buy it loose as such but it comes in a plastic folder with all the information relating to the diamond. I can recommend a guy who I have bought diamonds from in the past, I can vouch for his authenticity etc.

Kim67 Nov 11th 2010 11:24 am

My brother came to visit me in February this year and I took him shopping at the Gold and Diamond Park. He went back a few times and bought some diamond jewellery plus some precious and semi precious loose stones. He thought the prices and quality of the diamonds were pretty good, he was especially impressed with the size of some of the yellows. He works in mining in Australia and South Africa so he knew what he was looking at, may not be so easy to pick the good stuff as a layman.

Bahtatboy Nov 11th 2010 1:54 pm

Wife of a former colleague here actually had her own little device which determined whether she was looking at a real diamond or not (I guess by measuring the diffractive index). Now that's gotta be the ultimate expat Christmas present.

Kelli28 Nov 11th 2010 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8975594)
Wife of a former colleague here actually had her own little device which determined whether she was looking at a real diamond or not (I guess by measuring the diffractive index). Now that's gotta be the ultimate expat Christmas present.

It's quite easy with a loupe to be able to see any inclusions or blemishes in the diamonds.

Millhouse Nov 12th 2010 7:17 am

Originally Posted by saudiflares (Post 8975257)
Must have been a good night if you're considering a diamond purchase.
I'll have to get a new hat Cilla!
:thumbup:

oh no! he's got her pregnant

Bahtatboy Nov 12th 2010 11:25 am

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8977222)
oh no! he's got her pregnant

I didn't know he had it in him. Or her.