British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Diamond Lease Won't Replace My Tyres (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/diamond-lease-wont-replace-my-tyres-593139/)

Bison Feb 22nd 2009 11:09 am

Diamond Lease Won't Replace My Tyres

So Ron' The Lancer' Burgundy went in for his 20k service last week, I asked for the tyres to be replaced on the front following advice from the local garage as they are dangerously low on tread (yeah probably my eratic driving) anyhooo, DL said they don't replace tyres until 40k service...

Woman phoned Saturday, saying the car was ready, I asked if they replaced the tyres, they didn't. Instructed them to replace and not call me until they had been done.

Got a call this morning from same woman, "Car ready sir" Did you replace tyres? Yes sir very good sir, ok deliver the car back tonight, "Ok sir no problem"

I receive a call 10 minutes later. "Sir this is manager, you ask for tyres to be replaced?" Yes :curse:

"Sir we do not replace tyres until 40k service" > Get me a gun :curse::curse::curse: Arrrrgh!<

I said look pal, the tyres are dangerously low, I want them replacing, I am renting the car and want it to be safe to drive and not have to worry about having a blow out, so change the tyres. "But sir, we do not change until 40k service sir" Ok I said, keep the f**king car and I'll keep this Galant you have given me which is better than my lancer. "No sir this is not possible" I don't care I said, I'm not having Ron back until he has new shoes on the front.

I am still waiting for them to come back to me..

lionheart Feb 22nd 2009 11:11 am

Re: Diamond Lease Won't Replace My Tyres

Just pay for the new tyres yourself then, like anybody else. They are probably worn because of your exceptional driving skills:sneaky:

Bison Feb 22nd 2009 11:13 am

Just pay for the new tyres yourself then, like anybody else. They are probably worn because of your exceptional driving skills
Why should I, it's a rental car....not my responsibility. If I gave the car back and rented another car the next day it would have decent tyres or I wouldn't rent it?

Also, they lied to me.... No need for that is there now eh?

Charismatic Feb 22nd 2009 11:14 am

40,000k on one set of tires?

Anything under 1.5mm and I'd be telling them to replace the tires ASAP. Deeper tread only really gives you more traction on wet or loose surfaces so in the summer it may not be such an issue.

Bison Feb 22nd 2009 11:20 am

Anything under 1.5mm and I'd be telling them to replace the tires ASAP. Deeper tread only really gives you more traction on wet or loose surfaces so in the summer it may not be such an issue.
I used to go on 2.0mm the limit back home is 1.6mm but why take chances, when it comes to brakes and tyres I make sure they are in good nick always.

Not only that, I am sure the life of a tyre over here is reduced due to the heat with them expanding and contracting, so even if the tread is good, the tyre walls may not be up to standard.

Charismatic Feb 22nd 2009 11:23 am

Maybe time to find an empty carpark and give them a reason to replace them? ;)

You can tell alot about a drivers habits from their tyres :).

shiva Feb 22nd 2009 11:25 am

maximum life of tyre here is 3 yrs due to UV/heat and generally shitty summer conditions, regardless of tread depth. UK recommendation is 5 yrs

Bison Feb 22nd 2009 11:35 am

Maybe time to find an empty carpark and give them a reason to replace them?
Reverse donuts or burnout?

:blink:

Charismatic Feb 22nd 2009 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Bison (Post 7310224)
Reverse donuts or burnout?

:blink:

Can never practice enough for an emergency situation. It's rediculous just how quickly you can stop a car when you practise a lot and can hold the car right on the edge of locking.

MacScot Feb 22nd 2009 11:53 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 7310197)
maximum life of tyre here is 3 yrs due to UV/heat and generally shitty summer conditions, regardless of tread depth. UK recommendation is 5 yrs

My car failed the re-registration inspection..had to get 3 new tyres...two because of small cracks on side walls and one because it was a 2004 tyre...even though it still had deep tread.

Meow Feb 22nd 2009 12:28 pm

According to the RTA driving a vehicle with the tyres in a 'poor condition' attracts a fine of AED 200 and 7 days confiscation.

Bison, please PM me if you'd like me to follow this up for you in The National. This is right up my street, so to speak.

-

commander Feb 22nd 2009 12:37 pm

This is rediculous. They have to change them, its their duty of care to you

Bison Feb 22nd 2009 12:38 pm

According to the RTA driving a vehicle with the tyres in a 'poor condition' attracts a fine of AED 200 and 7 days confiscation.

Bison, please PM me if you'd like me to follow this up for you in The National. This is right up my street, so to speak.
I'll let you know the outcome and if they will replace them or not, if they won't then I will take them for an independent inspection and photograph the said tyres. They have said they would replace them if I pay for them, but I seriously don't think I should have to pay for wear and tear on a rental, I mean I don't have to pay for servicing so..... you must know my mate Phil then if you work for the national, he's a snapper from Canada?

Bison

Spugsy Feb 22nd 2009 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Bison (Post 7310386)
I'll let you know the outcome and if they will replace them or not, if they won't then I will take them for an independent inspection and photograph the said tyres. They have said they would replace them if I pay for them, but I seriously don't think I should have to pay for wear and tear on a rental, I mean I don't have to pay for servicing so..... you must know my mate Phil then if you work for the national, he's a snapper from Canada?

Bison

If it's a rental tell them you want a new car altogether, or you'll go somewhere else.

Meow Feb 22nd 2009 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Bison (Post 7310386)

Bison

I do some freelance writing on financial issues and write the On Your Side column with deals with readers' problems and complaints. I can help with the problem now if you want me to, not after the event. The point of the column is to get issues resolved and I do that on a regular basis.

-