British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Dhs1000 Traffic Fine!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/dhs1000-traffic-fine-583297/)

busybee2 Jan 12th 2009 7:58 am

Re: Dhs1000 Traffic Fine!!

i have to endure waky races in ad quite a few times a day, and especially in the morning we have the speedsters. but if i am in the fast lane overtaking the car in the 3rd lane, and there is no where safe for me to go and i get flashed from afar behind me, i will not move over....... i am driving at the correct speed and if the car behind me isnt and i am in the way tough. i will not move over unless its safe to do so, many a time i have been in the 3rd lane, again overtaking the slower cars in the 2nd lane and a car has pushed in front of me because of the flashers in the fast lane, but i have had to slam my brakes on because really there wasnt enough room.....! but i do know that a lot of newbies to this country do get scared and will just pull over without really making sure its safe to do so.

Jeeper Jan 12th 2009 3:12 pm

bison seems to be arguing over a different measure of the speed 'limit'.
W10 and co are saying the urban SZR limit is 100....and that is correct.
bison and co is saying the limit is 120....not correct although that may well be the 'limit' at which the camera is set off.

So is the limit the legally posted sign or do you consider the limit to be "whatever you can get away with before you get fined"???

If the later, then by that logic murder is ok if you're not caught....nice ethics.:thumbdown:

W10 Jan 12th 2009 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Bison (Post 7155056)
Ok whatever, I am never going to win against a woman so I will just say let's agree to disagree.

I guess that makes me a speeder, but I don't get flashed at that speed so I will continue to drive at that speed at so will thousands of other motorists.

Even the police don't seem to care as I have over took them at 160kph on the way to AD many times!

Bison

You guess that breaking the speed limit by a considerable margin makes you a speeder? Well done...really...

You do know that the new digital cameras they have every few km now don't flash.....

expat.brat Jan 12th 2009 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 7157056)
You guess that breaking the speed limit by a considerable margin makes you a speeder? Well done...really...

You do know that the new digital cameras they have every few km now don't flash.....

they do..i have seen them flash a speedster.. was it bison?

W10 Jan 12th 2009 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by expat.brat (Post 7157133)
they do..i have seen them flash a speedster.. was it bison?

They don't have to though...

http://www.thenational.ae/article/20...ONAL/308566679

Jeeper Jan 12th 2009 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 7157056)

They blo.ody well should though.

The purpose is to deter speeding and if a speeder doesn't know that he's speeding (by getting flashed by a camera) he won't know he's speeding and carry on to kill someone 2km down the road.

What's the point in being told you're speeding 3 days after the event?

Alen1 Jan 12th 2009 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 7157246)
They blo.ody well should though.

The purpose is to deter speeding and if a speeder doesn't know that he's speeding (by getting flashed by a camera) he won't know he's speeding and carry on to kill someone 2km down the road.

What's the point in being told you're speeding 3 days after the event?

Good Post!
And there is the crux; are speed cameras installed so as to prevent speeding (i.e. to make the roads safer) or are they intended to swell the coffers of the exchequer?

Duh!

expat.brat Jan 12th 2009 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 7157194)

Oh yes...that govt mouthpiece is always right.

its just a scare tactic.

W10 Jan 12th 2009 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Alen1 (Post 7157355)
Good Post!
And there is the crux; are speed cameras installed so as to prevent speeding (i.e. to make the roads safer) or are they intended to swell the coffers of the exchequer?

Duh!

Well if they properly publicised the fact that they can (allegedly) calculate average speeds and that they also don't have to flash it would cause a lot of people to modify their behaviour. Not know but presuming you have been caught would act as a decent deterrent.

However, as they don't. We can presume its just about the cash.

W10 Jan 12th 2009 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by expat.brat (Post 7157472)
Oh yes...that govt mouthpiece is always right.

its just a scare tactic.

It may well be. But there is a direct quote from a senior police officer, so if it is not true then the guy is quoted on record lying.

expat.brat Jan 12th 2009 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 7157489)
It may well be. But there is a direct quote from a senior police officer, so if it is not true then the guy is quoted on record lying.

bit like the head of emaar then? to paraphrase:

"dubai is immune from this credit crunch. it does not affect us!"

Eva Jan 12th 2009 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 7157489)

Officer Montana perchancity?

Jeeper Jan 12th 2009 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 7157479)
Well if they properly publicised the fact that they can (allegedly) calculate average speeds and that they also don't have to flash it would cause a lot of people to modify their behaviour. Not know but presuming you have been caught would act as a decent deterrent.

However, as they don't. We can presume its just about the cash.

There's a problem with that thought though....what if a driver genuinely thinks he's driving at the speed limit and cameras don't flash?

Example: i was driving on the hatta road past dragon mart. 8 lane dual carriageway....it 'felt' like a 120kph speed environment and I was doing 120 (probably 130 but slowed down for the camera to 120 - i never said I don't speed sometimes). the camera flashed. I was shocked.
Sure enough I looked next time and the limit was 100kph - I hadn't noticed or even expected it to be a 100kph road.

Now...if there was a new fandalged camera there that doesn't flash I wouldn't have known and therefore would never have adjusted my speed until I went to re-register my car up to a year later and found 600dhs 5days a week x 52 weeks = 156,000dhs in fines.
That situation would have meant the camera achieved nothing other than making money. I would never have known I was speeding and for 1 year I would be putting other road users at risk

Of course maybe eventually I would have noticed the speed limit and then checked the website and stopped getting fines after 30,000dhs but hey.

shiva Jan 12th 2009 7:19 pm

people may wish to read an overview of our rather clever new cameras

http://www.sensys.se/Templates/Produ...9-0f5076ad6851

Sensys' fixed speed enforcement system, the Speed Safety System (SSS), is based on the RS240 multi-tracking radar. This wide-beam radar unit, capable of tracking multiple vehicles simultaneously, uses a radar lobe that oversees several lanes up to 150 meters deep. Vehicles moving within the radar lobe are tracked and their movements analysed. Speed is determined through Doppler and checked by distance over time. At the defined report line a picture is taken should there be a speed violation. The fixed enforcement system is non intrusive which means that no devices are buried in the road surface.

High-resolution digital images
» Continuous speed verification by applying two independent methods
» Number plate and/or driver identification
» Secure remote communication and setup
» Local storage capacity of up to 400,000 images (optional)
» Provides information about time, date, location, vehicle speed, speed limit
» Supports front or rear photography, or both simultaneously
» Non-intrusive technology, no devices buried in the road surface
» Uses Sensys' unique multi-tracking radar RS240
» Tracks and measures each vehicle more than 20 times per second
» Triggers at an adjustable speed limit and report line
» Scheduled functionality (only enforced during specified hours and days)
» Possible to take one or two images of the offence

no mention of flash and as it uses radar and infra red it may be that these dont flash at all

http://www.sensys.se/BinaryLoader.as...s&ValueIndex=0

Confucius Jan 12th 2009 7:24 pm

Sensys!!!!
Gotcha...