British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   DEWA - Housing Fees (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/dewa-housing-fees-679377/)

Autonomy Aug 2nd 2010 11:09 am

DEWA - Housing Fees

I've been in the same apartment for 5 years and have never been billed for Municipality Housing Fees.

In the bill this month there is a generic notice slip saying I need to register on their site within a month otherwise they will apply the RERA rate.

My apartment is about the RERA rate - however I'm kind of worried that if I sign up on the site they can work out that I owe them 5 years back dated fees :eek:

Anyone had to sign up for this? Any idea if they back date?

I've no real issue in signing up, but can really do without 5 years back dated...

Any advice / knowledge?

Ta,

Auto

Patsy Stoned Aug 2nd 2010 12:23 pm

Re: DEWA - Housing Fees

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 8746331)
I've been in the same apartment for 5 years and have never been billed for Municipality Housing Fees.

In the bill this month there is a generic notice slip saying I need to register on their site within a month otherwise they will apply the RERA rate.

My apartment is about the RERA rate - however I'm kind of worried that if I sign up on the site they can work out that I owe them 5 years back dated fees :eek:

Anyone had to sign up for this? Any idea if they back date?

I've no real issue in signing up, but can really do without 5 years back dated...

Any advice / knowledge?

Ta,

Auto

They don't backdate it darling. I know they are trying to "catch" all the apartments/villas that don't pay the housing tax yet.
I am hoping because mine is listed as a Local's villa they will miss me :)

Bernard M.A. Doff Sep 13th 2010 11:50 am

The Prisoner's Dilemma

The choices for my fortunate friend who has so far escaped the housing fees, are:

1) Register the tenancy contract with DEWA and pay the tax
2) Do nothing and see what happens

Option 1 has a known outcome (sort of) - he will pay 5% of the rental amount. DM have said the tax will not be backdated, but possibly it might be backdated to the tenancy start date.

Option 2 has risks and rewards, depending on how DEWA/DM react. Possible outcomes:

a) DEWA's systems fail to identify the non-paying residents. My friend gets off scot-free.
b) DEWA's systems do identify my friend but slowly. He enjoys several more months/years of non-payment.
c) DEWA is up to the job. My friend is charged 5% of the RERA estimate of the rental contract. There is no other penalty.

A tricky dilemma. A quick trawl through various forums indicates that some people are going to option 2, hoping for outcome A without assessing the cost of outcome C.

With outcome C, to get the RERA estimate, DEWA needs to know the number of bedrooms. Do they know this? Also, they do not know the tenancy contract date: will they backdate say to 1st January or not back date at all?

Options, options!

MataHari Sep 13th 2010 11:58 am

in order to get your Dewa connected, you need to bring in the tenancy contract, and on that it will state the contract date...
the Dewa form that needs to be filled in asks for the number of rooms...

Bernard M.A. Doff Sep 13th 2010 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 8844635)
in order to get your Dewa connected, you need to bring in the tenancy contract, and on that it will state the contract date...
the Dewa form that needs to be filled in asks for the number of rooms...

Interesting...so DEWA has all information. Did this apply pre-2005?