Desserts from your childhood

Old Nov 7th 2013, 3:41 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Desserts from your childhood

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Now if you're talking Sunday tea:
Dressed crab (crab from Leigh-on-Sea, dressed by my mum)
Bread and butter, finger salad
Home-made fruit cake / Victoria sandwich / cup cakes
Chocolate biscuits in wrappers (can't remember the name--blue wrapper)
Blue Riband wafers?
Old Nov 7th 2013, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Now if you're talking Sunday tea:
Dressed crab (crab from Leigh-on-Sea, dressed by my mum)
Bread and butter, finger salad
Home-made fruit cake / Victoria sandwich / cup cakes
Chocolate biscuits in wrappers (can't remember the name--blue wrapper)
Blue Riband maybe?
Old Nov 7th 2013, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
Blue Riband wafers?
Snap
Old Nov 7th 2013, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Blackberry pie (collected by yours truly) and custard. As a grown up I used the blackberries to make blackberry vodka instead of pies.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 4:25 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
Blue Riband wafers?
Old Nov 8th 2013, 2:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ditzy
oooh school custard.

does anyone remember when it was pink custard on the days it was bakewell tart.

My mum called that 'blancmange'...........

This has turned into a 'what I was given to eat - including starters and main courses - when I was growing up' thread........... in which case, I can still remember the look of horror on my dad's face when mum served up one of those Vesta boil-in-the-bag curries (curry in one bag, rice in the other).

'Foreign muck', you know........

Last edited by The Dean; Nov 8th 2013 at 2:02 am. Reason: .
Old Nov 8th 2013, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of

No, blancmange was something totally different to pink custard!

the school pink custard only came out on bakewell tart day, the other days it was yellow. I think it tasted the same though.

Blancmange was thick and like jelly (isn't it jelly with milk ) though I don't seem to remember having any problems eating it at my granny's
Old Nov 8th 2013, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Choclate cake slices from Modern bakery; the one with the hard chocklate slab on the top with sides that had sprinkled on choclate flakes (like the kind on chocklate donuts). I miss those sooo much, can't get them here in the US anymore

Vienetta choclate ice cream, used to get them in London and the US but nobody has stocked them here for years.
Old Nov 8th 2013, 4:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I always hated rice pudding- still do the texture is vile and my dad would always put dibs on the skin - gag-
I was rather partial to the following- bare in mind I lived with my grandparents and my gran worked in a school as a cook:
Neapolitan ice cream
Ice cream with iced magic
Artic roll
Chocolate angel delight with hundreds and thousands on
Homemade lemon meringue pie
Trifle
Pavlova
Bananas with custard
Angel delight with jelly
Flan
Jam sponge with custard
Treacle pudding
Chocolate sponge with chocolate custard
Jam tarts
And as for cakes my mum made amazing cakes Mmm
Chocolate, lemon drizzle, coffee and walnut, Victoria
And then very rarely we were allowed bought cake- French fancies were my favourite and angel cake obviously from mr Kipling
Old Nov 8th 2013, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

silversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud of

In no particular order
Strawberry Angel Delight
Cold Devon Custard
Chocolate Mousse ice cream
Sara Lee Chocolate Gateaux
Neapolitan Ice Cream - although i never wanted the strawberry block
DOUBLE NOUGAT from the ice cream van - still love them to this day!!!!!

Oh and almost forgotten - homemade chocolate rice crispie cakes and the fight for the melted chocolate bowl with my brother!!!!

Last edited by silversilver; Nov 8th 2013 at 7:02 am.
Old Nov 8th 2013, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely banana and custard and proper homemade apple pie with cloves and cinnamon and custard, made from scratch, although I loved Bird's eye custard powder
Old Nov 8th 2013, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

beccajoh is just really nicebeccajoh is just really nicebeccajoh is just really nicebeccajoh is just really nicebeccajoh is just really nicebeccajoh is just really nicebeccajoh is just really nicebeccajoh is just really nice

bananas and custard
tinned fruit with tinned milk
jam roly poly with custard
choc pud with choc custard
trifle
spotted dick and custard
Caribbean bananas (something my dad made up I think - bananas done in foil on a bbq. Grown up version included rum hence the Caribbean bit)
rice pudding (home made!!)
crumble and custard
neoplitan icecream with that chocolate sauce that goes hard when it touches the icecream
angel delight
semolina pudding

lots more puddings with custard. They were a daily feature in my family growing up. Mum made them all from scratch. Lots of cakes too. I didn't have an ounce of fat on me, so just goes to show that kids can eat mountains of cake and pudding if they run around enough
Old Nov 8th 2013, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Arcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond repute

I can remember my Dad learning how to make choux pastry, and him making some Elephants feet..this was a big ball of choux pastry, with whipped cream piped into the centre then melted chocolate on top.
Old Nov 9th 2013, 4:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ditzy
No, blancmange was something totally different to pink custard!

the school pink custard only came out on bakewell tart day, the other days it was yellow. I think it tasted the same though.

Blancmange was thick and like jelly (isn't it jelly with milk ) though I don't seem to remember having any problems eating it at my granny's
??? Blancmange, like custard, is runny when hot but hardens when it cools. We may be talking about the same thing, I think........
Old Nov 10th 2013, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

BinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond reputeBinCat has a reputation beyond repute

Apple Crumble with whipped fresh cream
Raspberry Fool (fresh raspberries folded into whipped, sweetened fresh cream) yum.
Regarding OP's ? re rice pudding (sorry, disgusting stuff, even hot and with dollop of fresh cream AND jam on it, yuk!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.