Desi London Mayor

Old May 8th 2016, 5:39 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Desi London Mayor

Well that escalated quickly... I post a simple question asking for clarification, go out to work and come back to the usual soup of quasi racism, stereotypical assumptions, general bitchiness, definitions on how many generations of Britishness makes you a true Briton, fermented pomegranate imbibing allegations, denials and rebuttals and whole sets of Barbies getting lobbed from the misspelt pram....

Quite contrary to the views on here, every single person I know in London that has expressed a view, which is not a small amount of people (as I lived there for 12 years), have viewed this result as nothing short of excellent news.

Hey ho.

PS I also agree it's the best result for London
Old May 8th 2016, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Well that escalated quickly... I post a simple question asking for clarification, go out to work and come back to the usual soup of quasi racism, stereotypical assumptions, general bitchiness, definitions on how many generations of Britishness makes you a true Briton, fermented pomegranate imbibing allegations, denials and rebuttals and whole sets of Barbies getting lobbed from the misspelt pram....

Quite contrary to the views on here, every single person I know in London that has expressed a view, which is not a small amount of people (as I lived there for 12 years), have viewed this result as nothing short of excellent news.

Hey ho.

PS I also agree it's the best result for London
Actually, as a newcomer here, i am not sure anything in this thread really expresses racism, quasi, or not. Sure a couple of dickheads, and you can include me in that if you wish, but outwardly racist i have not read.
Old May 8th 2016, 9:40 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lightandbitter
Actually, as a newcomer here, i am not sure anything in this thread really expresses racism, quasi, or not. Sure a couple of dickheads, and you can include me in that if you wish, but outwardly racist i have not read.
With a definition of quasi I understand as

"having some resemblance usually by possession of certain attributes" Quasi | Definition of Quasi by Merriam-Webster

or

"used to show that something is almost, but not completely, the thing described" quasi- Meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary

I still stand by the term I used.
Old May 9th 2016, 4:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Bipat
For accuracy. Just two well known Christian examples in India--George Fernandes-Minister of Defence. Margaret Alva- State Governer of Rajasthan (previously Governer of Uttarakhand). Both now retired.
As I mentioned above Italian born widow-President of the Congress Party.
USA? Not sure what you mean?
I love it when you get involved.
Old May 9th 2016, 4:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

It's just the high profile nature that has the panicky folk panicking.

If a bloke called Sadiq Khan is good enough to be a bin man or a council leader or a CEO of a firm or even a doctor say, who has the ability to save ones life...then he can be a ****ing mayor.
Old May 9th 2016, 5:18 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp

If a bloke called Sadiq Khan is good enough to be a bin man or a council leader or a CEO of a firm or even a doctor say, who has the ability to save ones life...then he can be a ****ing mayor.
Yes but a bin man, or even a doctor can't bend and make changes to the dynamics and policies of the countries capital.

To compare the two shows nativity. This is a really important position in the political spectrum of the UK.
Old May 9th 2016, 5:28 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by iggle
Yes but a bin man, or even a doctor can't bend and make changes to the dynamics and policies of the countries capital.

To compare the two shows nativity. This is a really important position in the political spectrum of the UK.
Comparing the two isn't showing nativity or even naivety.

To discuss how a man can do their job based on their religion is nothing short of blatant racism. Because a role has political influence it should only be done by a 50yr old, fat white bloke?
Old May 9th 2016, 5:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

It is one thing to be regulated. It is another to be the regulator.
Old May 9th 2016, 5:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Good to see his first appointment at the Holocaust memorial.

Mr Khan also spoke to the Chief Rabbi Ephraim Mirvis about the Barnet Council fiasco in which constituents were turned away from the ballot box on Thursday due to an administrative error.

Mr Khan asked: "Did you get your vote in, in the end?"
The rabbi replied: "No I didn't."

You can't write jokes like that.
Old May 9th 2016, 6:54 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

To discuss how a man can do their job based on their religion is nothing short of blatant racism.
No its not, its stating fact.

A Christian Mayor would have a different agenda to a Muslim, if you believe otherwise then you are putting your head in the sand.

Anyway, i dislike the appointment because he is Labour not because he is Muslim.
Old May 9th 2016, 7:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by iggle
No its not, its stating fact.

A Christian Mayor would have a different agenda to a Muslim, if you believe otherwise then you are putting your head in the sand.

Anyway, i dislike the appointment because he is Labour not because he is Muslim.
I think his struggles with his own party make him sufficiently non-labour.

Then again - haven't all the previous mayors been basically hated by their own party?
Old May 9th 2016, 7:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

I love it when you get involved.
Thank you Scamp, I'm sure you mean it!
No comment, but just for interest.

There are sections on policy, police, law and justice.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_Muslims
Old May 9th 2016, 7:27 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it'll all turn out ok. He just needs to watch his back: the first time he makes -- or is seen to make -- a decision based on Muslim values rather than British values, then there'll be a firestorm.
Old May 9th 2016, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Maybe it'll all turn out ok. He just needs to watch his back: the first time he makes -- or is seen to make -- a decision based on Muslim values rather than British values, then there'll be a firestorm.
Spot on. I'm sure it will happen, and even if it doesn't then the media will spin it or look for it in some way.

All the best of luck to him - I think he will need it, as the knives are out quite early and he will have an uphill battle at every turn.
Old May 9th 2016, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Boris Johnson brought Sikh celebrations to City Hall (his wife is of Sikh descent). The sky didn't fall in!!

https://www.london.gov.uk/press-rele...tions-return-2

I agree though that those with anti-Muslim views will be ready to pounce. It is a pity that names can give an indication of religious origins otherwise people's religion would remain a private matter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.