DESERT SAFARI

Old Jan 7th 2013, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

silversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud of
Default DESERT SAFARI

I have some friends coming over to visit me at the end of January and are desperate to do a Desert Safari. I was initially going to use my Entertainer vouchers for them and go through North Tours but then googled the company and have seen some horrible reviews. I would hate for my friends to come out and not enjoy the experience. Can anybody recommend a good tour operator for Desert Safari or has anybody been on a North Tours once recently and had a positive experience.
Thanks Silver Silver
Old Jan 7th 2013, 8:29 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough
Default Re: DESERT SAFARI

Originally Posted by silversilver View Post
I have some friends coming over to visit me at the end of January and are desperate to do a Desert Safari. I was initially going to use my Entertainer vouchers for them and go through North Tours but then googled the company and have seen some horrible reviews. I would hate for my friends to come out and not enjoy the experience. Can anybody recommend a good tour operator for Desert Safari or has anybody been on a North Tours once recently and had a positive experience.
Thanks Silver Silver
Arabian Adventures every time.

Owned by Emirates Group, they only use qualified drivers and are fully insured.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 9:09 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DESERT SAFARI

We have a friend who visited DXB over the New Year and they used what seems to be a relatively new company, certainly one we've never heard of.

http://www.platinum-heritage.com/her...ildlife-safari

Here's the report on her safari from her recent trip report on Trip Advisor:

"We are going to try a new company this time called Platinum Heritage Safaris and they picked us up promptly at 3pm. Off out into the desert in a 4x4 with a very knowledgeable guide called Yamen.

We were dropped at the entrance to the Desert Conservation reserve and transferred to a fabulous 1950s Landover for our trip.

All very English Patient and I kept expecting to see Count Almásy or Geoffrey Clifton – Geoffrey for preference as I’ve always been a Colin Firth girl.

A very gentle dune safari with none of the dune bashing and being thrown about that you get on other safaris and with the opportunity to see wild Oryx and Gazelle, which you don’t get outside the conservation reserve.

We stopped at several places along the route through the dunes and even with my duck like gait I managed to clamber up a few for some fabulous photos.

Then it was back for a sunset stop and falcon display on some private land that belongs to the Royal family before heading off to the camp, which has been purpose built on the same land.

This has been designed to reflect a small Bedouin settlement and was really lovely. It made a nice change from the huge camps that some of the other safaris share and felt much more authentic. There were only 25 or so people and it was much more peaceful than others I have been on.

They had shisha to enjoy and henna too and also some camels for R&D to ride and there was a dancer but NOT belly dancing and instead traditional dancing from the region (this would make this trip excellent for GCC Nationals as there was no flesh on show)

Also no buffet but instead a lovely meal that was cooked and served to us whilst we sat on low cushions, which played havoc with my sore leg and after spending a few hours sat that low thought we might need a block and tackle to get me vertical again. Thanks to Yamen for the assistance.

It is more expensive than the usual safaris (at 495 dirham) but for us the difference in the dune ride, the authenticity and the opportunity to see the animals would make the difference worthwhile.

I would highly recommend it, especially for those that want a more authentic experience, older folk or those that worry about whether or not the dune bashing part of a safari will be suitable for them and also younger children for whom the dune bashing may be a bit too rough."

Hope this helps. We've done the Arabian Adventures dune bashing thing and more than enough dune bashing during our time in Dubai and, if we fancied another trip through the dunes, this would definitely be one that we'd consider. Especially as it is inside the Dubai Desert Conservation Reserve where you really are likely to see oryx, gazelles, Dub lizards (they really can reach some amazing speeds) and, if you're really lucky, desert fox, maybe even Rupels fox.