British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Desert Islands resort (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/desert-islands-resort-747457/)

The Dean Feb 5th 2012 11:43 am

Desert Islands resort

Just back from a long weekend there (with a very long drive at each end - it's not far short of the Saudi border).

Not a bad break, although the hotel itself needs a new coat of paint, but they have a huge wildlife park there. Accompanied by a sort of game warden person, you drive through a gate, Jurassic Park style, and off you go in your jeep.

I felt a bit uncomfortable though to see live gazelles etc left in the cheetah enclosures ('the cheetahs have to retain their hunting instincts' said the guide)........... round every corner, you half-expected to see a tethered goat left out for the velociraptors.........

http://desertislands.anantara.com/

Blue Cat Feb 5th 2012 12:07 pm

Re: Desert Islands resort

ooh don't fancy that :o

OleJanx Feb 5th 2012 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9884786)
Just back from a long weekend there (with a very long drive at each end - it's not far short of the Saudi border).

Not a bad break, although the hotel itself needs a new coat of paint, but they have a huge wildlife park there. Accompanied by a sort of game warden person, you drive through a gate, Jurassic Park style, and off you go in your jeep.

I felt a bit uncomfortable though to see live gazelles etc left in the cheetah enclosures ('the cheetahs have to retain their hunting instincts' said the guide)........... round every corner, you half-expected to see a tethered goat left out for the velociraptors.........

Sounds a little bit disconcerting, to say the least...

Boomhauer Feb 5th 2012 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9884786)

Those Cheetahs are going to be released into the wild at some point in the near future? Seems rather unlikely , and if the Cheetah program is meant to release the cats in the wilds of Africa, then why is the preserve in the GCC?

OleJanx Feb 5th 2012 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 9884845)
Those Cheetahs are going to be released into the wild at some point in the near future? Seems rather unlikely , and if the Cheetah program is meant to release the cats in the wilds of Africa, then why is the preserve in the GCC?

If they were going to be released in the GCC, you can guarantee that some wasta assisted moron would shoot them.

Alexa Feb 5th 2012 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 9884848)
If they were going to be released in the GCC, you can guarantee that some wasta assisted moron would shoot them.

Or take them as pets...until the guy actually caring for them (being shit scared constantly of being eaten) leaves the gate open and they escape...has actually happened here not too long ago.

You can still see a cheetah being ferried around on the driver seat of a Cruiser though.

The Dean Feb 6th 2012 5:39 am

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 9885050)
Or take them as pets...until the guy actually caring for them (being shit scared constantly of being eaten) leaves the gate open and they escape...has actually happened here not too long ago.

You can still see a cheetah being ferried around on the driver seat of a Cruiser though.

Yeah........... the game warden was commenting on how "tameable" cheetahs are....... I came away with decidedly mixed feelings about the place actually.

Autonomy Feb 6th 2012 6:56 am

I friend was slightly mauled by a - so called - tame young cheetah outside of Lamcy a few years ago. An Emirati guy had it on a leash and mate asked if he could have a look / pet it - the cheetah proceeded to destroy his suit and left him needing some first aid...

pauldxb Feb 6th 2012 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 9886133)
I friend was slightly mauled by a - so called - tame young cheetah outside of Lamcy a few years ago. An Emirati guy had it on a leash and mate asked if he could have a look / pet it - the cheetah proceeded to destroy his suit and left him needing some first aid...

and what happened.... if anything

littlejimmy Feb 6th 2012 9:50 am

Originally Posted by pauldxb (Post 9886296)
and what happened.... if anything

Auto's friend was probably deported for touching a cheetah and the cheetah drove off in a new Land Cruiser.

Bahtatboy Feb 6th 2012 12:26 pm

See, I said they were cool cars.

Alexa Feb 6th 2012 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9886584)
See, I said they were cool cars.

Only one worth to be seen in...cheetah or local.....

Bahtatboy Feb 7th 2012 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 9886761)
Only one worth to be seen in...cheetah or local.....

Some cougars look good in them.

Alexa Feb 7th 2012 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9888119)
Some cougars look good in them.

How do you know? Aren't they usually wrapped in black?
Of course, one can always admire wrists, sunglasses and lipstick.....

Bahtatboy Feb 7th 2012 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 9888211)
How do you know? Aren't they usually wrapped in black?
Of course, one can always admire wrists, sunglasses and lipstick.....

Actually its the local cougars in white Merc G-Wagons who are the most alluring. White and black with a flash of red...