British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Deja Vu... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/deja-vu-771123/)

Bahtatboy Sep 10th 2012 12:20 pm

Deja Vu...

...and such things. Picking up on Shiva's recent comment regarding the bollocks that fortune tellers spout, and although I'm highly sceptical, science does suggest that time isn't necessarily linear, and knowing what will happen in the future is possible, and that all events everywhere are connected (Einstein couldn't get his head round that bit, but he believed in the connection).

I've had one intense experience of deja vu. Anyone else? (Hang on, I know what one of you is going to say...)

Autonomy Sep 10th 2012 12:26 pm

Re: Deja Vu...

supposedly one explanation is a minute time difference between the left and right side of the brain cognitive processes which gives the illusion that you've seen this before, albeit a fraction of a millisecond before but the brain then interprets this difference as a feeling of deja vu...

auzdafluff Sep 10th 2012 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10273088)
...and such things. Picking up on Shiva's recent comment regarding the bollocks that fortune tellers spout, and although I'm highly sceptical, science does suggest that time isn't necessarily linear, and knowing what will happen in the future is possible, and that all events everywhere are connected (Einstein couldn't get his head round that bit, but he believed in the connection).

I've had one intense experience of deja vu. Anyone else? (Hang on, I know what one of you is going to say...)

I have it quite often. I believe the current thinking on this is that as both electrical and chemical transmitters in your body are capable of carry signals (i.e. memories), it's simply the same memory being carried by both, with the electrical signal arriving before the chemical one (which travels slower). Hence you feel like you've been there before. Simply because technically you have.

britexpat76 Sep 10th 2012 12:34 pm

Didn't I answer this last week :blink:

the_red_sheep Sep 10th 2012 12:49 pm

Isn't there a theory that the we, consciously and sub-consciously, spend a huge amount of time replaying events from our lives and creating alternative scenarios within them - like when you come up with a smart arsed response 30mins to late. These imagined scenarios, can then become confused overtime with actual memories. So, deja vu can is triggered when an association is made between an actually or imagined memory which is similar top the a current event/place.

Likewise when people say they life flashes before there eyes when the are having near death experience, it is actually the brain running through events or experiences which are similar to the current one they are faced with as it tries to find a suitable response and action.

mentalist Sep 10th 2012 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep (Post 10273138)
Isn't there a theory that we, consciously and sub-consciously, spend a huge amount of time replaying events from our lives and creating alternative scenarios within them - like when you come up with a smart arsed response 30mins too late. These imagined scenarios can then become confused over time with actual memories. So, deja vu can be triggered when an association is made between an actual or imagined memory, which is similar to the current event/place.
Likewise, when people say their life flashes before their eyes when they are having a near death experience, it is actually the brain running through events or experiences, which are similar to the current one they are faced with, as it tries to find a suitable response and action.

Very well explained, albeit subject to some typos duly rectified on your behalf.:)

Bahtatboy Sep 10th 2012 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10273180)
Very well explained, albeit subject to some typos duly rectified on your behalf.:)

I knew you'd do that.

Meow Sep 10th 2012 1:18 pm

I don't believe in psychic, but some people are more perceptive than others. If you are used to listening and watching people, you can pick up an awful lot of information without being told. It's empathy; something that most people have in fairly short supply.

shiva Sep 10th 2012 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10273196)
I don't believe in psychic, but some people are more perceptive than others. If you are used to listening and watching people, you can pick up an awful lot of information without being told. It's empathy; something that most people have in fairly short supply.

exactly reading someone, emphasizing, building rapport etc are all real and very ****ing far from magic.

re deja vu, technically everything we see, hear, do, and experience is in fact an experience of the recent past and more importantly a recent past that our brains have largely created for us. given this and the fact that everything we see and touch is 99.99% empty space its a ****ing miracle our brains dont explode

littlejimmy Sep 10th 2012 2:51 pm

I prefer Deja Moo. I usually suffer it around bosses and politicians.

The feeling that you've heard this BS before...

littlejimmy Sep 10th 2012 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 10273357)
exactly reading someone, emphasizing, building rapport etc are all real and very ****ing far from magic.

re deja vu, technically everything we see, hear, do, and experience is in fact an experience of the recent past and more importantly a recent past that our brains have largely created for us. given this and the fact that everything we see and touch is 99.99% empty space its a ****ing miracle our brains dont explode

I was going to post that Scanners gif again...

Boomhauer Sep 10th 2012 3:34 pm

I've had some. A side of me thinks for a second that I must have died and then rebooted into a new body but then reason takes over and I just out it down to coincidence emanating from the fact that statistically one is bound to relive certain expereinces when you consider how many years a person lives and how many hours we spend awake.

Spugsy Sep 10th 2012 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 10273099)
supposedly one explanation is a minute time difference between the left and right side of the brain cognitive processes which gives the illusion that you've seen this before, albeit a fraction of a millisecond before but the brain then interprets this difference as a feeling of deja vu...

Hmm I had it the other day.

Spugsy Sep 10th 2012 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 10273099)

The other day.