Define Dubai

Old Sep 26th 2012, 2:03 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Define Dubai

Originally Posted by Manchester_QS
No, it will be my first visit to the ME, which some people have found it shocking that I have never visited. But what is life without an adventure!

I do think that to many people move to the ME and just expect it to be the UK with sunshine and tax free allowance.

I do plan on living a relatively normal life, but the main reason for the move is due to the step up in my career that the job was able to offer.
The UK with sunshine etc - that's The Springs for you!

You can have fun and a good life without being a w****r
Old Sep 26th 2012, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to all

I will be living in Tecom and commuting to Abu Dhabi 3-4 days a week.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 2:09 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by britexpat76
When I went out to Dubai in 08 I asked my mate to put me in a hotel for a month while I searched for a job and he put me in the Pano.

I arrived thinking I wouldn't have Strongbow or women in my life for a while, 6 hours later...............
PMSL, been there, done that!
Old Sep 26th 2012, 3:30 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Really poor people who are genuinely touched when you do something 'normal' towards them, like say please and thank you, or open a door for them.

Somethings most locals and Jumeriah Jane's no nothing about.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 3:57 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

On the way back from a business trip to the UK in 2011 (about 10 months into my time here), I was in the airport duty free at Manchester buying some Raybans. When the girl went to check my boarding pass, she said oooh, you're going to Dubai! Is it for a holiday?

When I said no, I live there, she asked if I could only describe Dubai in one word, what would it be?

You could tell from her reactions she wasn't expecting me to say 'racist' but I stand by that assertion to this day.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

I have been here for almost 10 years, I train about 60 people a week from all nationalities .... men and women including Emirati, Lebanese, Palestinian, American, British, Indian blah,blah and all of them are living normal lives working, playing, bringing up families etc. None of them are w**kers, none of them are rude or arrogant, they all seem to be very genuine and caring people.
I live in a local area, I have friends of different nationalities, my life here is not that much different from the other countries that I have lived in,(except the brunches are better ).
Dubai is better than some cities, worse than others.
I really get fed up with people who think that the UAE is full of false people.
There are false people everywhere. I love living in Dubai, I love my job and I love and respect the culturally differences of the people that I meet.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 4:35 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Thx meow. In terms of visual images the August umbrella and suicidal gardners are ones that will stick with me for life I think, along now I come to think of it with people hiding in the shadow of lamp posts. Regarding defending Dubai the longer I'm here the more I realise that the wankers are actually the smallest part of the population and that most just lead normal lives. I think that's what gets me is that the Dubai ill remember is completely different from the one that gets talked about.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 4:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

If I say that I hate Dubai with a passion, but I still enjoy living here, does that make sense?
Old Sep 26th 2012, 4:36 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
If I say that I hate Dubai with a passion, but I still enjoy living here, does that make sense?
Completely
Old Sep 26th 2012, 5:08 pm
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Having spent the last 2 years in Singapore I can see a distinct similarity with dubai.

In both places it would seem the worst kind of people are the Middle/Senior management that arrive on a transfer or secondment...they treat the posting as a holiday.

Like most people that go on holiday, these people push the limits of drinking, partying and generally being w*****rs.

I have seen many decent people poisoned by the Dubai lifestyle.For example, because they get their pictures in Ahlan or Hello they suddenly think they are the next best thing, and because they can afford a nice car and champagne brunches...that they are suddenly a class above the rest.

So how would I define Dubai ? I would say "Morally Toxic" ... on sooo many levels

Dont get me wrong, I love the place...cant wait to come back!
Old Sep 26th 2012, 5:45 pm