British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Deep Purple (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/deep-purple-778599/)

mentalist Nov 24th 2012 4:01 am

Deep Purple

Bloody typical. Ian Gillan, Roger Glover and Ian Paice of the original Deep Purple lineup are playing in Dubai on 21st February 2013 on the same night as the Stone Roses gig. I know which one I will be attending.

rowell Nov 24th 2012 4:28 am

Re: Deep Purple

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10398715)
Bloody typical. Ian Gillan, Roger Glover and Ian Paice of the original Deep Purple lineup are playing in Dubai on 21st February 2013 on the same night as the Stone Roses gig. I know which one I will be attending.

Deep purple for me

The Dean Nov 24th 2012 5:18 am

Both bands will be furious when they find out - doesn't anyone in Dubai realise that the schedules for events like these should be coordinated?

Autonomy Nov 24th 2012 5:56 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10398785)
Both bands will be furious when they find out - doesn't anyone in Dubai realise that the schedules for events like these should be coordinated?

Hmmm - as a punter I'd agree. However as a promoter what would you do?

One has a long standing "festival" that the dates will be known - the other is the biggest event promoter in Dubai that has the chance for one of the hottest reunion band tours in years and has probably been chasing them for months and they get offered one date as the band are probably on a tour schedule...

Done Events were probably not offered alternative dates or even if they were they may well have still viewed the dates as the best commercially even against the festival...

Anyway - I've seen Deep Purple at the Montreux Jazz Festival in 2000 so I'll be going baggy that night...

loz Nov 24th 2012 6:37 am

Purple every time for me:thumbup:

Loz x

The Dean Nov 25th 2012 1:27 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 10398812)

One has a long standing "festival" that the dates will be known - the other is the biggest event promoter in Dubai that has the chance for one of the hottest reunion band tours in years and has probably been chasing them for months and they get offered one date as the band are probably on a tour schedule...

Done Events were probably not offered alternative dates or even if they were they may well have still viewed the dates as the best commercially even against the festival...

Anyway - I've seen Deep Purple at the Montreux Jazz Festival in 2000 so I'll be going baggy that night...

You all went down to Montreux??? On the Lake Geneva shoreline???

There is always a lot of date-shuffling when tours are being put together - more likely, each promoter arrogantly thought the 'other' event (even assuming they knew) was a lesser event than their own.............

mentalist Nov 25th 2012 5:09 am

As Ian Paice, Ian Gillan and Roger Glover will be 64yo, 67yo and 68yo respectively in February 2013, I sincerely doubt that they will be able to reproduce anything like their previous heavy rock sound, but you never know.

Blue Cat Nov 25th 2012 5:11 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 10398812)

I heard Done Events on the radio, they were offered the one date and grabbed it.

Bahtatboy Nov 25th 2012 6:08 am

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10399962)
As Ian Paice, Ian Gillan and Roger Glover will be 64yo, 67yo and 68yo respectively in February 2013, I sincerely doubt that they will be able to reproduce anything like their previous heavy rock sound, but you never know.

And will they be able to out-perform their aural doppelgängers at the Marines Bar? They were stonking on Thursday night.

mentalist Nov 25th 2012 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10400014)
And will they be able to out-perform their aural doppelgängers at the Marines Bar? They were stonking on Thursday night.

Do you mean the Filipina band? Is that crazy female guitarist with the umpteen tattoos still playing?

Bahtatboy Nov 25th 2012 6:45 am

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10400038)
Do you mean the Filipina band? Is that crazy female guitarist with the umpteen tattoos still playing?

Oh yes, and yes! I sincerely doubt that Deep Purple will generate the same buzz, although being within touching distance of the lead singers does help;)

Spugsy Nov 25th 2012 8:51 am

Deep Purple? Aren't they all dead?

John ML Nov 26th 2012 2:00 am

You won't notice when they wheel them on.

The Dean Nov 26th 2012 4:06 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 10400178)

Rock legends never die...........

mentalist Nov 26th 2012 6:37 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 10400178)

Please read post 7. They are not as dead as Newcastle Utd FC.:p