View Poll Results: Do you support the decriminalisation of illicit drugs?
For
33.33%
Against
55.56%
Undecided
11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Decriminalising Drugs

Old May 24th 2009, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light
Default Decriminalising Drugs

I'd like to hear your opinions on decriminalisation of drugs and whether you believe it might help drug issues in your own countries? Portugal did it and a report by the Cato institute claims it has worked for them by reducing use, reducing HIV transmission through dirty needles and increased their budget for education rather than crime fighting drugs (although I think they did a bit of cherry picking in that report).

You have to admit to some extent though, that all out prohibition does not work (look at the United States especially).
Old May 24th 2009, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

Big Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud of
Default Re: Decriminalising Drugs

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld
I'd like to hear your opinions on decriminalisation of drugs and whether you believe it might help drug issues in your own countries? Portugal did it and a report by the Cato institute claims it has worked for them by reducing use, reducing HIV transmission through dirty needles and increased their budget for education rather than crime fighting drugs (although I think they did a bit of cherry picking in that report).

You have to admit to some extent though, that all out prohibition does not work (look at the United States especially).
Possession of cannibis was decriminalized in UK a couple of years ago to the extent that if the old Bill caught you with some it was confiscated and a warning given. This has been reversed though and cannibis and marijuana re-classified to the extent that even possession will result in prosecution again.

I do know that smoking hash doesn't mean that you will necessarily end up hooked on smack, but I also know that if you're buying and doing any kind of drugs then you have to be exposed, at least in part, to other more addictive and potentially lethal drugs by virtue of the people you're dealing with.

Life's for living, not for doing drugs.
Old May 24th 2009, 7:49 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Kevin
Possession of cannibis was decriminalized in UK a couple of years ago to the extent that if the old Bill caught you with some it was confiscated and a warning given. This has been reversed though and cannibis and marijuana re-classified to the extent that even possession will result in prosecution again.

I do know that smoking hash doesn't mean that you will necessarily end up hooked on smack, but I also know that if you're buying and doing any kind of drugs then you have to be exposed, at least in part, to other more addictive and potentially lethal drugs by virtue of the people you're dealing with.

Life's for living, not for doing drugs.
The purpose of possession was re - addressed i.e personal v possession with intent...don't think it was exclusively decriminalised.
I agree totally with your statement re exposition...you cannot be a visitor to Parkhead and NOT see the downward spiral a half half q can lead to.
Most people smoking their first joint are curious...when the rush of the first joint wears off they step up the hit..........
Old May 24th 2009, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Big Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud ofBig Kevin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Eva
The purpose of possession was re - addressed i.e personal v possession with intent...don't think it was exclusively decriminalised.
I agree totally with your statement re exposition...you cannot be a visitor to Parkhead and NOT see the downward spiral a half half q can lead to.
Most people smoking their first joint are curious...when the rush of the first joint wears off they step up the hit..........
Yes Eva, you are correct, it wasn't exclusively decriminalised, although most police authorities did subscribe to the warnings policy.

Parkhead's not the place with the biggest drugs prob in Scotland, nor is Glasgow as a whole, but there are huge drug related problems throughout the country. For your proper drugs probs you could for example look at Edinburgh, Aberdeen. A bigger problem around Glasgow, and this is not related to any particular side of the traditional cultural divide that exists in the city, would be the 'Ned' culture, similar to the chav situation in cities of England, where the problems are more alcohol than drug related, although drugs certainly play a part.

It's a difficult situation for authorities and agencies tasked with it. Personally I don't think they've got the approach right even. For example, Prestwick International Airport is emblazoned with the slogan 'Pure Dead Brilliant' in a kind of graffitti style writing in letters that are maybe 10 feet high on the front that seems to glorify the whole ethos. Welcome to the West Coast of Scotland. What genius thought that one up?
Old May 24th 2009, 8:56 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Kevin
Yes Eva, you are correct, it wasn't exclusively decriminalised, although most police authorities did subscribe to the warnings policy.

Parkhead's not the place with the biggest drugs prob in Scotland, nor is Glasgow as a whole, but there are huge drug related problems throughout the country. For your proper drugs probs you could for example look at Edinburgh, Aberdeen. A bigger problem around Glasgow, and this is not related to any particular side of the traditional cultural divide that exists in the city, would be the 'Ned' culture, similar to the chav situation in cities of England, where the problems are more alcohol than drug related, although drugs certainly play a part.

It's a difficult situation for authorities and agencies tasked with it. Personally I don't think they've got the approach right even. For example, Prestwick International Airport is emblazoned with the slogan 'Pure Dead Brilliant' in a kind of graffitti style writing in letters that are maybe 10 feet high on the front that seems to glorify the whole ethos. Welcome to the West Coast of Scotland. What genius thought that one up?

Alcohol is an addictive drug-but it is licit therefore the clandestine properties and distribution markets are limited.The profit margin in drugs - Classes A, B and C are heightened due to their 'illegal status'.We are living in a profit driven society so the procurement and supply of proscribed susbstances is big business.No doubt drugs wreck lives.
Alcohol is a licensed drug- the nadir of many British communities .The Goverment profits from it and pretends it's not as dirty as smack-it's just as if not more harmful.It kills just as many people if not more as heroin, cannabis does.

The interesting thing for me is this: is it the culture behind the use?
I mean alcohol is a massive part of UK likestyle..people go to the pub...
compare it with the UAE killer-positioned No2 globally: Diabetes..

The 'pub culture' in UAE is Coffee shops etc where ppl overdose on cakes,ice creams,sugars - triggering off serious health conditions.Okay ppl suffering from Type 2 Diabetes may not be as obnoxious as a drunk...but may need different kinds of support which will make them equally annoying...
Addiction is the problem -not necesserily the substance
Just my thoughts.....

Last edited by Eva; May 24th 2009 at 8:59 pm.
Old May 24th 2009, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light

Whilst not a typical drug your mind would associate with this question, I present an argument from a bioethicist bringing into question the legality of steroids.

He is interviewed in this news report: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0LEj8IPHGU

He is interviewed in this newspaper article: http://www.chicagotribune.com/featur...4.story?page=1

It does make you wonder why some things are legal and some aren't...
Old May 24th 2009, 9:06 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld
Whilst not a typical drug your mind would associate with this question, I present an argument from a bioethicist bringing into question the legality of steroids.

He is interviewed in this news report: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0LEj8IPHGU

He is interviewed in this newspaper article: http://www.chicagotribune.com/featur...4.story?page=1

It does make you wonder why some things are legal and some aren't...

Sorry I can't be arsed reading all this at the mo.....

but enough junk out there without looking for evidence in the less typical substances.
Old May 25th 2009, 1:56 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Worst places in Scotland I believe is Peterhead, fraserborough etc..
Old May 25th 2009, 3:31 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
Worst places in Scotland I believe is Peterhead, fraserborough etc..
a friend of mine from that area said the problem is too much time on their hands, rig workers with money to burn spend it on alcohol during their on shore time
Old May 25th 2009, 3:48 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
a friend of mine from that area said the problem is too much time on their hands, rig workers with money to burn spend it on alcohol during their on shore time
youll find it is because thats where most of the drugs are brought into...
Old May 25th 2009, 4:00 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

youll find it is because thats where most of the drugs are brought into...
from Holland?
Old May 25th 2009, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

MrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud of

I can't make up my mind about this.

I'm from Fraserburgh (shut up Commander!! ) and it's a mess. If i had a school reunion more than half are heroin addicts and a good lot of peeps i went to school with not with us anymore

Should it be legal to cut out the dealer? Maybe coz it's defo not making any difference it being illegal just now.

I think things are getting better at home as the younger generation seem to have seen the light and staying away from the drugs scene. Well heroin anyway.

Anyway i HATE drugs! I really really hate it.

Mrs H
Old May 25th 2009, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

MrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud ofMrsHawkes has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
Young fishermen with too much money
Old May 25th 2009, 6:35 am
banned

Pablo used to ship in cocaine direct to Fraserborugh from Columbia. He was often seen at the fishermans inn supping on a pint of 80 shilling..
Old May 25th 2009, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

Pablo used to ship in cocaine direct to Fraserborugh from Columbia. He was often seen at the fishermans inn supping on a pint of 80 shilling..
OMG is that a true story?!

I'm so embarrassed! :eek

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.