Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Debt Skips no 4,387, What To Do!

Debt Skips no 4,387, What To Do!

Old Jan 30th 2011, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

GuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to behold
Default Debt Skips no 4,387, What To Do!

OK, some have you worked out who I was, an existing member back with a new name. I want to tell you about a recent and indeed current experience following on from my reply to the last debt skip thread. Thanks for the Karma by the way people, little did I know I'd soon be in that situation!
I was approached by an agency a few months ago about a dream job. After a couple of interviews, I recieve the call I'm waiting for, I've got the job. So I spoke to the company involved and they confirmed it. Now, before you all jump on the bandwagon and announce that what I did next was stupid, I know, so don't bother. This is about how to solve a situation. I took the guys word that the offer was coming in the next couple of days and on his say so (him knowing what I was about to do), I resigned from my job. After a couple of days, I wasn't too worried, after 8 days, I was. Then I hear the offer is not being made. Possibly due to a new CEO who I have since found out is a good friend of somebody I worked with previously who got in a lot of crap for stealing. No prizes for guessing who blew the whistle.......
Anyway, spoke to my boss, he had no problem with me staying, his boss the same, GM the same. Regional manager on the other hand was not so forthcoming and told me that due to company policy, I would still have to leave. Yes, I'm an expat, I have a car loan and credit cards, and even after explaining this, no dice. This was 2 days before Xmas so you can imagine what my festive season was like. Fortunately, I'm on my own here, not married, no kids and the loans aren't huge, not 6 figures, but still enough that I can't find the money immediately, even by selling the car (neg equity due to crappy resale on used cars at the mo). The Skype call to Mum on Xmas day was tough, trying to keep it together without her actually knowing how serious te situation could potentially be.
Now, I've got my passport, skipping the country crossed my mind for all fo 3 seconds. I don't want to go back to the UK anyway, I'm not going to look over my shoulder for 20 years, and I've met so many great friends here (as was about to be proven) that I couldn't even contemplate it.
No option, find a job. Lots of if's buts and maybes and things were looking bleak. Friends here offered places to stay, one even financial help, another, Christmas dinner with the family. These things moved me to tears as I realised I'd made the right decision to stay. Fortunately, I'm a resourceful chap and had other ways of making cash to keep payments up on the finance. The very day I leave my job, I get an offer from another company. Nearly the same money, 6 days a week, but hey, it gets me a visa, and a means to pay back what I owe. I spoke to the bank, they said as long as I don't miss a payment, everything is fine. I was expecting a row with them! To make matters a little worse, I have 5 months left on my passport, so that will slow this process down while it's renewed, but ultimately, I'm staying, I'm sorting the problem and avoiding any consequences. I'm not out of the woods yet, I have friends who can help, but to me that is last resort.
I will not however, be another Dubai Debt skip statistic. Ironic the timing from that original thread, but at least it shows one thing, I take my own advice and I've made the right decision in the long run.
Thanks for listening people!
Old Jan 30th 2011, 11:01 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Debt Skips no 4,387, What To Do!

Originally Posted by GuyinUAE View Post
OK, some have you worked out who I was, an existing member back with a new name. I want to tell you about a recent and indeed current experience following on from my reply to the last debt skip thread. Thanks for the Karma by the way people, little did I know I'd soon be in that situation!
I was approached by an agency a few months ago about a dream job. After a couple of interviews, I recieve the call I'm waiting for, I've got the job. So I spoke to the company involved and they confirmed it. Now, before you all jump on the bandwagon and announce that what I did next was stupid, I know, so don't bother. This is about how to solve a situation. I took the guys word that the offer was coming in the next couple of days and on his say so (him knowing what I was about to do), I resigned from my job. After a couple of days, I wasn't too worried, after 8 days, I was. Then I hear the offer is not being made. Possibly due to a new CEO who I have since found out is a good friend of somebody I worked with previously who got in a lot of crap for stealing. No prizes for guessing who blew the whistle.......
Anyway, spoke to my boss, he had no problem with me staying, his boss the same, GM the same. Regional manager on the other hand was not so forthcoming and told me that due to company policy, I would still have to leave. Yes, I'm an expat, I have a car loan and credit cards, and even after explaining this, no dice. This was 2 days before Xmas so you can imagine what my festive season was like. Fortunately, I'm on my own here, not married, no kids and the loans aren't huge, not 6 figures, but still enough that I can't find the money immediately, even by selling the car (neg equity due to crappy resale on used cars at the mo). The Skype call to Mum on Xmas day was tough, trying to keep it together without her actually knowing how serious te situation could potentially be.
Now, I've got my passport, skipping the country crossed my mind for all fo 3 seconds. I don't want to go back to the UK anyway, I'm not going to look over my shoulder for 20 years, and I've met so many great friends here (as was about to be proven) that I couldn't even contemplate it.
No option, find a job. Lots of if's buts and maybes and things were looking bleak. Friends here offered places to stay, one even financial help, another, Christmas dinner with the family. These things moved me to tears as I realised I'd made the right decision to stay. Fortunately, I'm a resourceful chap and had other ways of making cash to keep payments up on the finance. The very day I leave my job, I get an offer from another company. Nearly the same money, 6 days a week, but hey, it gets me a visa, and a means to pay back what I owe. I spoke to the bank, they said as long as I don't miss a payment, everything is fine. I was expecting a row with them! To make matters a little worse, I have 5 months left on my passport, so that will slow this process down while it's renewed, but ultimately, I'm staying, I'm sorting the problem and avoiding any consequences. I'm not out of the woods yet, I have friends who can help, but to me that is last resort.
I will not however, be another Dubai Debt skip statistic. Ironic the timing from that original thread, but at least it shows one thing, I take my own advice and I've made the right decision in the long run.
Good work fella, hope things work out for you - it must be tough.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

GuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to behold

Thanks mate, it's a lot better now, and can finally sleep after a month of not knowing! Thank you to both of you for support too, means a lot!
Old Jan 30th 2011, 11:29 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I had no idea this had been going on, I don't read the debt skip thread that often these days, same old, same old. You will get it sorted and I know you won't do a runner, it's not your style. And as you say you have some good friends here.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

I know, kept it quiet until it was all sorted to be honest. Not completely done, but all in control now. Thanks hun!
Old Jan 30th 2011, 11:32 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I know, kept it quiet until it was all sorted to be honest. Not completely done, but all in control now. Thanks hun!
glad you are sorted, like to keep an eye on my "boys"
Old Jan 30th 2011, 11:52 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to read that you have managed to get matters sorted. Well done & good luck x
Old Jan 30th 2011, 12:32 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat View Post
glad you are sorted, like to keep an eye on my "boys"
Speaking of which I'm in court on the 8th Feb.

Fingers crossed.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 12:47 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Spugsy View Post
Speaking of which I'm in court on the 8th Feb.

Fingers crossed.
do you want me to come with you? I can, it's not a problem.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 1:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

well, yeah, you were a muppet, lol...but really glad to hear it's all getting sorted...good luck in the new job...

MM, xx
Old Jan 30th 2011, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

JulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really nice

Well done and good luck. It's very easy to get yourelf into a sticky situation here. I'm having issues in the property market - argh if I can't sort something in the next couple of months, you can find me in a cardboard box in the park.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

Jules, sure you'll find something, finding a place to live is easy here, lots of options!
Old Jan 30th 2011, 2:52 pm
Concierge

Jules, sure you'll find something, finding a place to live is easy here, lots of options!
it's not finding one that's the problem, can't say more than that until she wants to share
Old Jan 30th 2011, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

JulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really niceJulesinDXB is just really nice

It's not finding a palce to live. It's getting rid of a place that could get me into a world of problems as it were. Change in circumstances beyond my control and all that.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 6:43 pm