Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

This debate will, I suspect, run and run.....

This debate will, I suspect, run and run.....

Old Dec 9th 2010, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default This debate will, I suspect, run and run.....

... especially among our lady members........... although men will also have strong opinions.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...nt-career.html

Last edited by The Dean; Dec 9th 2010 at 7:48 am. Reason: .
Old Dec 9th 2010, 7:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This debate will, I suspect, run and run.....

yep, defo, and the richer the better...

MM, xx
Old Dec 9th 2010, 8:27 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

I suspect Lady Medusa did quite well on this front.

Wouldn't mind a rich wife. Someone to subsidise a small landscape architecture practice in a converted barn somewhere in the southwest. Clients? Who needs 'em.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 10:07 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Wouldn't mind a rich wife.
I've always wanted to come into money.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I sort of agree with this...

I'd rather 'keep' a women so she can do a proper job on bringing up the kids than have her do a half arsed job of bringing them up and a half arsed job of making a career.

That said, as I had breakfast at the Montgomery this morning with Mrs Millhouse - I did look at her and say - you have a piss easy life, I think you need a job...

But, I believe in equality - so she is more than welcome to swap jobs with me at any time and do the 14 hour days in the land of the Gypos.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 10:21 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse

I'd rather 'keep' a women so she can do a proper job on bringing up the kids than have her do a half arsed job of bringing them up and a half arsed job of making a career.

That said, as I had breakfast at the Montgomery this morning with Mrs Millhouse - I did look at her and say - you have a piss easy life, I think you need a job...

But, I believe in equality - so she is more than welcome to swap jobs with me at any time and do the 14 hour days in the land of the Gypos.
So you have your bonk quota this year already then?

I agree with you on the first point.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
yep, defo, and the richer the better...

MM, xx
........ in the hope of getting rich yourself after the divorce settlement comes through?

No guarantee of that - and I once heard a ridiculous rumour that men sometimes treat women badly...........
Old Dec 9th 2010, 10:30 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by The Dean
and I once heard a ridiculous rumour that men sometimes treat women badly...........
...and never the other way round.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
So you have your bonk quota this year already then?
I'm allowed 10 a year. We are normally all done by 8th Jan.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 10:52 am
Account Closed

My mother is a housewife. Hasn't worked in over thirty years. Look at how well I turned out.

It's too easy to say children are better off with mothers who don't work versus those who do. Some kids from the traditional family arrangement turn out crap, and others with two working parents turn out splendidly. Life is more complicated than the parents following a set formula for lifestyle choices and behaviours.

I'd take the bright, intelligent and creative mother over the dull, fat and lazy mother, regardless of who works or who doesn't.

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse

Old Dec 9th 2010, 11:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
........ in the hope of getting rich yourself after the divorce settlement comes through?

No guarantee of that - and I once heard a ridiculous rumour that men sometimes treat women badly...........
no, in the hope of having a nice life...would want her to have a good education to have as a back-up but all the better if she could have the luxury of pursuing things she loves, rather than working because she has to...that said, her current career choices are barrister or vet, so let's see...

i don't want her to make the same mistakes that i did, lol...

MM, xx
Old Dec 9th 2010, 11:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

What a load of crap.

What about teaching women to be self made and financially independant who choose a husband because they love him? Then you can marry the binman if they want to. Nouveau middle class- get off your arse and get a job - and how about encouraging kids to get a job they enjoy rather than just being money focused? No wonder the Uk has society problems. We all want this utterly fabulous disposable lifestyle- how about you work hard, appreciate everything you have and enjoy it along the way instead of waiting for some rich twat to come along and bail you out. This isn't wanting better for your kids, this is being selfish and getting what you want. Utter utter shit in my opinion.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 12:08 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
What a load of crap.

What about teaching women to be self made and financially independant who choose a husband because they love him? Then you can marry the binman if they want to. Nouveau middle class- get off your arse and get a job - and how about encouraging kids to get a job they enjoy rather than just being money focused? No wonder the Uk has society problems. We all want this utterly fabulous disposable lifestyle- how about you work hard, appreciate everything you have and enjoy it along the way instead of waiting for some rich twat to come along and bail you out. This isn't wanting better for your kids, this is being selfish and getting what you want. Utter utter shit in my opinion.
I agree with you. This is 2010. For women to simply seek wealthy husbands so they don't have to work themselves is appalling and any man who wants such a wife is daft too. Now admittedly I didn't read to the end of the article (it's the Daily Mail FFS!), but why does any woman deserve to be supported her whole life if she is capable of supporting herself? Frankly, it's a step backwards.

If a couple chooses that one of them should stay home to bring up children that's their choice and of course, it can be either parent, but to never want your own income or any financial independence is the action of a child, not an adult. The stereotypes that all working mothers are harrassed and unhappy etc is just lay thinking too. (Bizarrely, I agree with most of what Ethos83 says above too).

No one want to be poor, but equally to have the main goal of marrying for money is not a recipe for a happy satisfying life, unless you are totally brainless.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 12:09 pm
Account Closed

To be fair, that's how it's always been. Marrying for wealth is hardly a new concept. Our forebears were a bit more realistic about it.

Originally Posted by kittycat1
. This isn't wanting better for your kids, this is being selfish and getting what you want. Utter utter shit in my opinion.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 12:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

MM I'm sorry when did I last constantly remind you I hated it here? Yes, I hated it when I got here and for the first 9 months but have settled in now and actually am very happy now. Yes I have bad days as does everyone but I think you'll find my posts have been much more positive of late (as in the last 5 months).

And I love my job, i love what I do and love the fact I have so many choices of where to go from here and I love the fact that I have acheived everything on my own, yes having money behind me would make everything easier but don't you appreciate it all that little bit more when you have had to work for it and know that it is all down to you?

Marrying a rich man guarantees nothing- he could lose it all tomorrow and then what? Life is what you make it and if you rely on someone else to fund it then more fool you in my opinion.

What I hate is this whole attittude of an easy life- marry a rich guy and all your problems are solved. Noone is owed a living.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.