British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Death penalty closer to demise ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/death-penalty-closer-demise-599534/)

BangleMan Mar 24th 2009 7:42 am

Death penalty closer to demise ?

Speaking with regards the UK, I think with the use now of DNA there should never be a case of a miscarriage of justice, so really think capital punishment should be reintroduced for Murder, am sure it would greatly reduce the number of murders, stabbings and the like back home.....and make some of the scumbags think twice before committing a heinious crime

The world is moving nearer to ending the use of capital punishment, Amnesty International says, despite its latest report revealing a mixed picture.

In its annual survey the group says 2,390 people were put to death in 2008, up from 1,252 in 2007. And 8,864 were sentenced to death, up from 3,347.

Of 25 nations using the death penalty in 2008, China was the most prolific.

But Amnesty said it was encouraging that just 59 nations retained the death penalty and so few actually used it.

The group's secretary general, Irene Khan, said such punishments as beheading, stoning and electrocution "have no place in the 21st Century".

Despite the rise in executions during 2008, she said there were reasons to be optimistic.

"The good news is that executions are only carried out by a small number of countries, which shows that we are moving closer to a death-penalty free world," she said.

'Worrying instances'

The group highlighted decisions by Argentina and Uzbekistan to abolish the death penalty in 2008.

And the fact that Belarus was the only European nation to carry out executions was also interpreted positively.

But Ms Khan said the "bad news" in the report, entitled Death Sentences and Executions in 2008, was that hundreds of people continued to suffer.

The report said China used lethal injection and shooting to execute at least 1,718 people.

But Beijing does not publish data on the death penalty.

Of the top-six countries in Amnesty's list, only the US (37) publishes statistics on the penalty's use.

The figures for the others are estimates based on what Amnesty has verified through media reports, rights groups and official statements.

Other groups frequently give much higher figures.

The other worst-offending nations on the list are Iran (346), Saudi Arabia (102), Pakistan (36) and Iraq (34).

Amnesty also highlighted "worrying instances" of some nations bucking a long-term trend away from the death penalty.

St Kitts and Nevis carried out the first execution in the Caribbean for five years, the group's report said.

And Liberia introduced capital punishment for robbery, terrorism and hijacking.

Spugsy Mar 24th 2009 7:44 am

Re: Death penalty closer to demise ?

Originally Posted by BangleMan (Post 7412775)
Speaking with regards the UK, I think with the use now of DNA there should never be a case of a miscarriage of justice, so really think capital punishment should be reintroduced for Murder, am sure it would greatly reduce the number of murders, stabbings and the like back home.....and make some of the scumbags think twice before committing a heinious crime

The world is moving nearer to ending the use of capital punishment, Amnesty International says, despite its latest report revealing a mixed picture.

In its annual survey the group says 2,390 people were put to death in 2008, up from 1,252 in 2007. And 8,864 were sentenced to death, up from 3,347.

But Amnesty said it was encouraging that just 59 nations retained the death penalty and so few actually used it.

The group's secretary general, Irene Khan, said such punishments as beheading, stoning and electrocution "have no place in the 21st Century".

Despite the rise in executions during 2008, she said there were reasons to be optimistic.

"The good news is that executions are only carried out by a small number of countries, which shows that we are moving closer to a death-penalty free world," she said.

'Worrying instances'

The group highlighted decisions by Argentina and Uzbekistan to abolish the death penalty in 2008.

And the fact that Belarus was the only European nation to carry out executions was also interpreted positively.

But Ms Khan said the "bad news" in the report, entitled Death Sentences and Executions in 2008, was that hundreds of people continued to suffer.

The report said China used lethal injection and shooting to execute at least 1,718 people.

Of the top-six countries in Amnesty's list, only the US (37) publishes statistics on the penalty's use.

The figures for the others are estimates based on what Amnesty has verified through media reports, rights groups and official statements.

The other worst-offending nations on the list are Iran (346), Saudi Arabia (102), Pakistan (36) and Iraq (34).

Amnesty also highlighted "worrying instances" of some nations bucking a long-term trend away from the death penalty.

St Kitts and Nevis carried out the first execution in the Caribbean for five years, the group's report said.

countries like iran etc will more than likely always have it, they bloody stone people to death for gods sake, and nigeria and places like that - its barbaric.

Grace O Malley Mar 24th 2009 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7412782)
countries like iran etc will more than likely always have it, they bloody stone people to death for gods sake, and nigeria and places like that - its barbaric.

Was watching Sky News yesterday, they are doing a whole week on Pakistan, they showed 2 public floggings. They then rub the backs of the people just been flogged, not to ease the pain, like you would want anyone touching you after that but to show closure for the crime and punishment....

Spugsy Mar 24th 2009 7:53 am

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 7412793)
Was watching Sky News yesterday, they are doing a whole week on Pakistan, they showed 2 public floggings. They then rub the backs of the people just been flogged, not to ease the pain, like you would want anyone touching you after that but to show closure for the crime and punishment....

yeah well that's exactly what I mean, it's completely disgusting.

MataHari Mar 24th 2009 7:59 am

[QUOTE=BangleMan;7412775]Speaking with regards the UK, I think with the use now of DNA there should never be a case of a miscarriage of justice, so really think capital punishment should be reintroduced for Murder, am sure it would greatly reduce the number of murders, stabbings and the like back home.....and make some of the scumbags think twice before committing a heinious crime

well, if it really worked like that, the US should be murder free...but it isn't.
It's a difficult debate...I'd like to think that a lifesentence in prison is worse than getting a lethal injection and be over and done with it...but then again with prisons as they are nowadays it might not be the case...so maybe they should make the prisons more like they used to be...and then you get into the human rights discussion...
I would imagine that to get the laws for carrying out death penalty such that they would only sentence the worst cases is the most difficult task there is....

admon Mar 24th 2009 8:09 am

[QUOTE=MataHari;7412824]

well, if it really worked like that, the US should be murder free...but it isn't.
It's a difficult debate...I'd like to think that a lifesentence in prison is worse than getting a lethal injection and be over and done with it...but then again with prisons as they are nowadays it might not be the case...so maybe they should make the prisons more like they used to be...and then you get into the human rights discussion...
I would imagine that to get the laws for carrying out death penalty such that they would only sentence the worst cases is the most difficult task there is....

you ever been to a prison in Europe? They are hardly holiday camps.

MataHari Mar 24th 2009 8:15 am

no, I have never been in one...only seen things on TV about Dutch prisons and I have stayed at worse campsites in my life...(I come from a very poor background though)

admon Mar 24th 2009 8:20 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 7412869)
no, I have never been in one...only seen things on TV about Dutch prisons and I have stayed at worse campsites in my life...(I come from a very poor background though)

well aside from open prisons, Uk ones are certainly not jolly places

littlejimmy Mar 24th 2009 8:20 am

It has no deterrrent effect in the USA and even DNA evidence is not 100% safe.

BangleMan Mar 24th 2009 8:22 am

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 7412793)

I saw that too.....I thought they were trying to bring their wind up !

Grace O Malley Mar 24th 2009 9:00 am

Originally Posted by BangleMan (Post 7412890)
I saw that too.....I thought they were trying to bring their wind up !

lol, pretty scary stuff hey, um another interesting pc on today re how many UK citizens are under scrutiny for attending camp there.....

still.unsure Mar 24th 2009 9:25 am

someone else in the magic kingdom (maybe nottBantam?) wrote once that teenagers at school there were as equally at risk from drugs et al as they were in the UK. this in a country where its height-reduction-at-the-neck time if you're caught dealing in the stuff!

even in the magic kingdom with all it's fierce death penalties, it's still not enough of a deterrent. i'm not sure that capital punishment does anything more than temporarily address the victims of capital crimes

BangleMan Mar 24th 2009 9:34 am

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 7412978)
lol, pretty scary stuff hey, um another interesting pc on today re how many UK citizens are under scrutiny for attending camp there.....

Its not the kind of place you would expect Butlins to have a camp to be honest ....

Charismatic Mar 24th 2009 10:41 am

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 7412886)
DNA evidence is not 100% safe.

Damn, beaten to it :thumbup:. There have been people wrongly convicted and even sent to their death due to false positives on DNA evidence :(.

Even the FBI, realising this, have had quite a legal battle to protect their CODIS system from independant testing because for a long time they've wrongly treated DNA evidence as infallible and mislead jurys about testing accuracy (sorry to dissolusion those of you who love CSI). It's an item of evidence and should be treated as such, the Jury must find guilt beyond reasonable doubt in order to convict.

Chain gangs - Sure.
Death penalty - No thanks.

Spugsy Mar 24th 2009 11:13 am

'Worrying instances'

how about 'If you murder or rape someone, you will be forcibly bummed by Mr.T''

Surely that would stop all the badness int he world?