British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Death Penalty Alive and Well in Abu Dhabi (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/death-penalty-alive-well-abu-dhabi-779818/)

Kix Dec 6th 2012 12:12 pm

Death Penalty Alive and Well in Abu Dhabi

Pardon the pun ^^^^

Gulf News

Abu Dhabi: A man was executed on Thursday morning by firing squad in Abu Dhabi after being convicted of murdering an Emirati Engineer in Al Ain in 2002.
Sources confirmed that 36-year-old Alex Rohana, a Sri Lankan, was executed at 7am in the presence of a judge, general public prosecutor, Imam, doctor and police officials.
Rohana stabbed to death Mohammad Obaid Al Muhairi, a 39-year-old father of eight children.
Al Muhairi was the deputy head of the engineering section at Al Ain Municipality and Town Planning Department.
Rohana was sentenced to death by an Abu Dhabi court after being convicted on charges of murder, breaking into a house and having an illicit affair with a woman.
Do you agree?

Meow Dec 6th 2012 12:15 pm

Re: Death Penalty Alive and Well in Abu Dhabi

Never.

Bahtatboy Dec 6th 2012 12:17 pm

Do we agree with what? The facts, the particular one highlighted, or with the death sentence in principle?

Beakersful Dec 6th 2012 12:32 pm

Does the death sentence deter in the region? Are there figures on how many executed have been found innocent down the line? Is mens rea a consideration in the sentencing?

I for one think advances in, and reliance on DNA give ample opportunity to frame people for crimes, particularly where caste inequality exists.

The answers to these questions might be starkly different to asking elsewhere where the streamlined education of members leans more towards humanities and social sciences.

jackthehat Dec 6th 2012 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10419355)
Hang him!

Taken from the Savile Thread! - Compare and Contrast?

britexpat76 Dec 6th 2012 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by jackthehat (Post 10419458)
Taken from the Savile Thread! - Compare and Contrast?

I reserve that for only Max Clifford and any Kardashian.

OleJanx Dec 6th 2012 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10419512)
I reserve that for only Max Clifford and any Kardashian.

:thumbsup:

Kix Dec 6th 2012 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10419306)
Do we agree with what? The facts, the particular one highlighted, or with the death sentence in principle?

The highlighted case, he admitted that he did it, think of the scenario, bloke is/was shagging illegally, sponsor comes in, bloke runs out. Why did he feel it necessary to either arm himself with a knife or grab one? Why didn't he just run?

I wonder whether, because of the possible wasta involved, (deceased position), he got the death sentence and it wasn't commuted?

Just sayin' like...

jackthehat Dec 6th 2012 2:32 pm

For those who are interested
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPtEWA2BzZQ

Eeyore Dec 6th 2012 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Beakersful (Post 10419342)
Does the death sentence deter in the region?

It doesn't deter anywhere.

OleJanx Dec 6th 2012 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Eeyore (Post 10419702)
It doesn't deter anywhere.

If anything, it makes it worse; after all in for a penny and all that: nothing to lose, so why not take a few more whilst you're at it?

littlejimmy Dec 6th 2012 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10419575)
The highlighted case, he admitted that he did it, think of the scenario, bloke is/was shagging illegally, sponsor comes in, bloke runs out. Why did he feel it necessary to either arm himself with a knife or grab one? Why didn't he just run?

I wonder whether, because of the possible wasta involved, (deceased position), he got the death sentence and it wasn't commuted?

Just sayin' like...

Indeed. Wherever human beings are involved in such decisions, there is always a chance of a mistake or a hidden agenda. Added to the lack of deterrent value and the fact it doesn't actually achieve anything, I can't see a single convincing argument for the death penalty.

The Dean Dec 7th 2012 2:53 am

Anyone who was responsible for town planning in Al Ain got what he deserved........... have you ever tried driving round/through that place? :frown: