On this day...........

Old Jun 16th 2012, 5:59 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On this day...........

Originally Posted by Jim Smith
I have only been back twice since I left in "72 unfortunately. '77 and '96 actually. I had been playing with making a final trip back taking my family for the first time. Unfortunately have some health issues so think it will have to go on the backburner.

I did spend a week in Grytviken, South Georgia in 1968 tho!!
I loved Grytviken, the old whailing station. I got my passport stamped at the post office there.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 11:19 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow

1982 - Falklands war ends after Argentinian troops surrender in Stanley.
I'm not sure if those responsible for writing the news at the BBC have a keen sense of irony or not. Was listening in the car and the announcement was along the lines of the UK sending troops to repel the invasion of foreign forces. Except that the Falklands are 8,000 miles from UK and only 500 and 1,000 miles from Chile and Argentina, respectively. We deserted the place for 37 years leaving only a plaque behind asserting our claim (during part of which time the Spanish remained, and they too left a plaque asserting their claim when they left). No denying that Argentina's invasion was wrong and that the inhabitants should have a right of self-determination, but the tenor of the BBC's coverage gave the impression that the walls of Westminster were about to be breached.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 11:45 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I'm not sure if those responsible for writing the news at the BBC have a keen sense of irony or not. Was listening in the car and the announcement was along the lines of the UK sending troops to repel the invasion of foreign forces. Except that the Falklands are 8,000 miles from UK and only 500 and 1,000 miles from Chile and Argentina, respectively. We deserted the place for 37 years leaving only a plaque behind asserting our claim (during part of which time the Spanish remained, and they too left a plaque asserting their claim when they left). No denying that Argentina's invasion was wrong and that the inhabitants should have a right of self-determination, but the tenor of the BBC's coverage gave the impression that the walls of Westminster were about to be breached.
Exagerated reporting? Surely not!

At the risk of annoying some people, I've always been in mixed minds about whether the Falklands should be British. 'But we have a flag' just doesn't really cut it as an argument.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 11:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Exagerated reporting? Surely not!

At the risk of annoying some people, I've always been in mixed minds about whether the Falklands should be British. 'But we have a flag' just doesn't really cut it as an argument.
Whether it 'should be' British or not is pretty obvious.

I'm amazed that we haven't handed it back - we are never going to be able to hold it long term (simply due to distance and a hugely powerful and increasingly important neighbour), we will never see the oil, and it's a massive cost.

Some places are worth holding on to, others.. .Falklands, St. Helens etc. are really not worth it.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 12:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse

I'm amazed that we haven't handed it back - we are never going to be able to hold it long term (simply due to distance and a hugely powerful and increasingly important neighbour), we will never see the oil, and it's a massive cost.

Some places are worth holding on to, others.. .Falklands, St. Helens etc. are really not worth it.
St Helens??? In Lancashire??? Harsh, Millhouse, harsh........

Falklands: We've already held it 'long-term', haven't we?

Whatever you think of the sovereignty argument, please let's hear no more of the risible 'continental shelf' argument that Argentina keep rolling out......... if we are going to go down that route, I can't wait to see Russia and China sort out who Japan belongs to........

Last edited by The Dean; Jun 16th 2012 at 12:05 pm. Reason: .
Old Jun 16th 2012, 12:05 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed, but how does that work for the people who have lived there for generations?

What's your view on Gibraltar?
Old Jun 16th 2012, 12:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
St Helens??? In Lancashire??? Harsh, Millhouse, harsh........

Falklands: We've already held it 'long-term', haven't we?

Whatever you think of the sovereignty argument, please let's hear no more of the risible 'continental shelf' argument that Argentina keep rolling out......... if we are going to go down that route, I can't wait to see Russia and China sort out who Japan belongs to........
sorry, St. Helena - an island in the middle of no-where

UK PLC recently spend 20m GBP building them a new airport that handles one flight a week. Good value for money that. IT would be cheaper just to bring them to the mainland and house them there.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 12:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Agreed, but how does that work for the people who have lived there for generations?

What's your view on Gibraltar?
I've never understood Gibraltar to be honest.

As for those that have lived there, they hold a British passport... bring them home where they can have more than one egg at breakfast.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 2:31 pm
Bored liberal

As for those that have lived there, they hold a British passport... bring them home where they can have more than one egg at breakfast.
I feel that you have a future in politics
Old Jun 16th 2012, 3:09 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

More than one egg? Surely un oeuf is enough.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 3:14 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Just read this about Saint Helena. It is from Wikipedia, admittedly, but it sounds a fascinating palce:

Saint Helena is one of the most remote islands in the world, has no commercial airports, and travel to the island is by ship only. A large military airfield is located on Ascension Island, with two Friday flights to RAF Brize Norton, England (as from September 2010). These RAF flights offer a limited number of seats to civilians. The ship RMS Saint Helena runs between St Helena and Cape Town, also visiting Ascension Island and Walvis Bay, and occasionally voyaging north to Tenerife and Portland, UK. It berths in James Bay, St Helena approximately thirty times per year.[27] The RMS Saint Helena was due for decommissioning in 2010. However, its service life has been extended indefinitely until the airstrip is completed.[citation needed]
After a long period of rumour and consultation, the British government announced plans to construct an airport in Saint Helena in March 2005 and the airport was originally expected to be completed by 2010. However constant delays by the British government[citation needed] meant an approved bidder, the Italian firm Impregilo, was not chosen until 2008, and then the project was put on hold in November 2008, allegedly due to new financial pressures brought on by the credit-crunch. By January 2009, construction had not commenced and no final contracts had been signed, and Governor Andrew Gurr departed for London in an attempt to speed up the process and solve the problems. On 22 July 2010, the British government agreed to help pay for the new airstrip using taxpayer money.[28] In November 2011 a new deal between the British government and South African company Basil Read was signed and now means the airport is proposed to open in 2015, with flights to and from South Africa.[29]

Last edited by littlejimmy; Jun 16th 2012 at 3:22 pm.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 6:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Just read this about Saint Helena. It is from Wikipedia, admittedly, but it sounds a fascinating palce:
I once tried to recruit someone for a road job in St Helena. If I remember rightly something like 1 in 30/35 is a Jehovah's witness giving it the highest concentration in the world
Old Jun 17th 2012, 11:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
More than one egg? Surely un oeuf is enough.
For us, yes. For them, no.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16980747
Old Jun 24th 2012, 12:12 pm
Bored liberal

45 years ago yesterday Reg Varney 'opened' the first ATM in the UK.

Yes, Reg Varney of On the Buses fame.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

45 years ago yesterday Reg Varney 'opened' the first ATM in the UK.

Yes, Reg Varney of On the Buses fame.
Is he he brother of Manto Varney?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.