Dave Brubeck

Old Dec 6th 2012, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

giddyup is a name known to allgiddyup is a name known to allgiddyup is a name known to allgiddyup is a name known to allgiddyup is a name known to allgiddyup is a name known to allgiddyup is a name known to allgiddyup is a name known to allgiddyup is a name known to allgiddyup is a name known to allgiddyup is a name known to all
Default Dave Brubeck

Passes away - Take 5 is an time classic - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20609327

Old Dec 6th 2012, 9:12 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dave Brubeck

The album from which Take Five comes, Time Out, is one of the absolute classics of bebop easily measuring up to all of those more acclaimed recordings from the same era (Love Supreme, Kind of Blue, Ah..Um, Blue Train, Sidewinder, Somethin' else, Brilliant Corners...I have to get my listing reflex under control).

Blue Rondo a la Turk is also on Time Out and is another one of the best things ever recorded.

Paul Desmond is one of the most technically brilliant and neglected of jazz saxophonists (how does he make it sound so smokey???). I guess maybe because he looks like Eric Morecambe's and Phil Silvers' missing brother?? Also his solo stuff is not so inspired which I guess goes to show what a great bandleader and arranger Brubeck was - after all his signature track is known not so much for his own keyboards as for Desmond's sax..

And Hugh Cornwell and Jean Jacques Brunel, aren't you still ashamed??

Last edited by Miss Anne Thrope; Dec 6th 2012 at 9:20 am.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 10:05 am

Oh and DB was an absolute diamond geezer also, married for 70+ years to the same woman, civil rights activist, donated money to lots of good civic causes...
Old Dec 7th 2012, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

Equestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud of

A true musical genius and an absolute legend!! Sad news indeed, RIP Mr Brubeck.

This SO makes me smile....!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yExwkQYcp0
Old Dec 9th 2012, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Max the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really nice

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope View Post
The album from which Take Five comes, Time Out, is one of the absolute classics of bebop easily measuring up to all of those more acclaimed recordings from the same era (Love Supreme, Kind of Blue, Ah..Um, Blue Train, Sidewinder, Somethin' else, Brilliant Corners...I have to get my listing reflex under control).

Blue Rondo a la Turk is also on Time Out and is another one of the best things ever recorded.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kc34Uj8wlmE

Paul Desmond is one of the most technically brilliant and neglected of jazz saxophonists (how does he make it sound so smokey???). I guess maybe because he looks like Eric Morecambe's and Phil Silvers' missing brother?? Also his solo stuff is not so inspired which I guess goes to show what a great bandleader and arranger Brubeck was - after all his signature track is known not so much for his own keyboards as for Desmond's sax..

And Hugh Cornwell and Jean Jacques Brunel, aren't you still ashamed??
One of Paul Desmond's finest, up there with Cannonball's Autumn Leaves and Art Pepper's You'd be so nice to come home to.

Old Dec 9th 2012, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Max the Dog View Post
One of Paul Desmond's finest, up there with Cannonball's Autumn Leaves and Art Pepper's You'd be so nice to come home to.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zu1Wx6niQBA
I love Autumn Leaves, almost good enough to be 'Trane!
Old Dec 9th 2012, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

Max the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really nice

Beautiful harmonic superimposition over the Am7b5 D7 Gm section!
Old Dec 9th 2012, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Max the Dog View Post
Beautiful harmonic superimposition over the Am7b5 D7 Gm section!
OK, you win