British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Dating Etiquette (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/dating-etiquette-682129/)

kittycat1 Aug 21st 2010 10:18 am

Dating Etiquette

Just debating with a friend the etiquette of dating, especially when dating other nationals.

Couple of questions;

Should the guy always pay first date?

What is acceptable form of affection on first date?

Does inviting a guy back for a drink actually mean you wanna get it on or you just want to chat more?

At what date is getting it on acceptable without making you look like a hussy?

Also be interested how different nationalities (especially South African) see this.

Thanks

Kitty xxx

Grace O Malley Aug 21st 2010 10:54 am

Re: Dating Etiquette

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 8792197)
Just debating with a friend the etiquette of dating, especially when dating other nationals.

Couple of questions;

Does inviting a guy back for a drink actually mean you wanna get it on or you just want to chat more?

Also be interested how different nationalities (especially South African) see this.

Thanks

Kitty xxx

Depends, whose perspective, male or female? Cos they will differ A LOT....

Roadking Aug 21st 2010 11:48 am

I always put out on the first date...always, always, always.

But then, it's so long ago I may have the memories confused.

Maybe I always pay...:huh::confused:

Spugsy Aug 21st 2010 12:05 pm

Couple of questions;

Thanks

Kitty xxx

This is what I (used to) do.

Meet a girl, ask her out, meet her in the corner of a nice little pub somewhere, get drunk and get to know her, have a laugh - then hopefully take her home and shag her.

It's worked for me for 20 odd years.

Etiquette, Schmetiquette.

Madam Medusa Aug 21st 2010 12:32 pm

geez, just thought i'd accidentally logged into the teenagers section, lol...

MM, xx

kittycat1 Aug 21st 2010 12:43 pm

lol mm... nope its just been a while since I dated rather than bedhopped!

Madam Medusa Aug 21st 2010 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 8792362)

hahaha...just go with what feels right for you, everyone is different whatever the nationality and what works for one person wouldn't for someone else...

MM, xx

the_red_sheep Aug 21st 2010 1:16 pm

Couple of questions;

Ok, from top to bottom:

He should at least offer too.

Anything from none to lots, depending on how it's gone (and the amount of drink that's been consumer).

Every guy will think this means you want to get it on, any man who says otherwise is lying or gay.

3rd

Don't South Africans just knock you over the head with their club and drag you back to their cave?

the_red_sheep Aug 21st 2010 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 8792362)

I have a bed, and a pogo stick :fingerscrossed:

Meow Aug 21st 2010 1:42 pm

Couple of questions;

Should the guy always pay first date? No - this is not the 1950's :rolleyes:

What is acceptable form of affection on first date? Whatever is mutually agreed upon, from nothing, a peck on the cheek, full on sex :rolleyes:

Does inviting a guy back for a drink actually mean you wanna get it on or you just want to chat more? It is always going to look like you are interested in more.

At what date is getting it on acceptable without making you look like a hussy? Seriously? Who cares what others think?

Also be interested how different nationalities (especially South African) see this. Are you going on a date with a Saffer Kitty? ;)

Thanks

Kitty xxx

See above

seven seas Aug 21st 2010 4:05 pm

come upstairs for a drink= let's have sex in the lift.

expat.brat Aug 21st 2010 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8792476)
See above

you must be so charming on dates

Charismatic Aug 21st 2010 9:07 pm

Well you asked:

Couple of questions;

Should the guy always pay first date? I think men still expect to but we won't argue on a split (unless you get out a calculator :rofl:).

What is acceptable form of affection on first date? Well being a man and needing to keep up the appearances of fitting a Hollywood stereotype, sex all night followed by a blowjob in the morning? :lol: Honestly if you like him charm him back to your place, if you’re unsure go out again and if you don’t then just thank him fr dinner before saying goodnight.

Does inviting a guy back for a drink actually mean you wanna get it on or you just want to chat more?Outside the house means chat more, back at your place I think it’s implied it’s a little more of an intimate setting. So intimate things might end up happening :o.

At what date is getting it on acceptable without making you look like a hussy?If you have to ask that question you are a hussy :p. Sometimes passionate things start that out way so if he is really charming and smooth then why not enjoy yourself? As long as it’s sex because you want to rather than you want to keep him around.

Thanks

Kitty xxx

aPerfectCircle Aug 21st 2010 9:28 pm

Couple of questions;

Thanks

Kitty xxx

So why especially south african ???

Millhouse Aug 22nd 2010 6:03 am

Now, I just know eveyone wants to hear my take on this...

Couple of questions;

who cares, but I would say that the guy should offer. The best solution is (if it's a meal) is that boyo gets the food and the lady gets the first round in afterwards in the pub.

I think that this depends - no Brit is going to question the three date rule, but for other nationalities it could take a whole lot longer. I personally wouldn't change my opinion on someone if it's 1 date or 10 (although the chances of me making it to the 10th date might be slim)

who knows? go in with an open mind and low expectations...

no one can question the "third date let's mate" rule, but it doesn't bloody matter at all

black, white or coloured ones? at the risk of sounding awful I would imagine that they all have different views...

Thanks

Kitty xxx

So, Kitty... what's your view?

Meow Aug 22nd 2010 7:26 am

Originally Posted by expat.brat (Post 8792847)
you must be so charming on dates

As if someone like you could ever get one :rolleyes:
-

Ethos83 Aug 22nd 2010 7:40 am

Couple of questions;

Should the guy always pay first date? Depends on setting. If only out for coffee or ice cream, each party pays its own way. If out for dinner, the guy pays.

What is acceptable form of affection on first date? I never like to rush. Even if there's a great vibe I don't engage in affection on the first date. A big smile and an enthusiastic suggestion for a second date is fine for me. If I really like the gal, I might touch her hand too.

Does inviting a guy back for a drink actually mean you wanna get it on or you just want to chat more? The man will always think you want sex and will be disappointed if it doesn't happen.

At what date is getting it on acceptable without making you look like a hussy? After the third date.

Also be interested how different nationalities (especially South African) see this. *raises eyebrows* South African, darling? Scraping the bottom of the barrel, aren't we?

Thanks

Kitty xxx

Charismatic Aug 22nd 2010 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 8793871)
If I really like the gal, I might touch her hand too.

Well you're a sly one :sneaky:.

Bahtatboy Aug 22nd 2010 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 8793879)
Well you're a sly one :sneaky:.

Maybe he meant with his dick.

Grace O Malley Aug 22nd 2010 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8793897)
Maybe he meant with his dick.

Oh trust you Dr. Love to lower the tone....

Bahtatboy Aug 22nd 2010 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley (Post 8793918)
Oh trust you Dr. Love to lower the tone....

It's what I do best. I just thought it was an apposite counterpoint to "I never show affection on a first date". Must be a bundle of larfs on a first date--I trust he treats her chaperone with respect.

Millhouse Aug 22nd 2010 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8793946)
It's what I do best. I just thought it was an apposite counterpoint to "I never show affection on a first date". Must be a bundle of larfs on a first date--I trust he treats her chaperone with respect.

In fairness, we all know his dating experience has been limited to boys in drag. I'd be cautious if I were him too.

Charismatic Aug 22nd 2010 9:23 am

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8793954)
...we all know his dating experience has been limited to boys in drag.

Did he kiss you goodnight after the date? :lol:

Charismatic Aug 22nd 2010 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8793946)

Different guys have different game, who knows he might play the complete shy guy tease who girls pull through the front door by his tie when he offers a goodnight kiss. Proof of the pudding is in the eating as they say so whatever works for you as long as it's putting your best foot forwards :). I’m not hating, you gotta respect a brothers game until you see it in action fellas.

Bahtatboy Aug 22nd 2010 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 8794045)
Different guys have different game, who knows he might play the complete shy guy tease who girls pull through the front door by his tie when he offers a goodnight kiss. Proof of the pudding is in the eating as they say so whatever works for you as long as it's putting your best foot forwards :). I’m not hating, you gotta respect a brothers game until you see it in action fellas.

Fair comment, Bro'. :D

BurpusMe Aug 22nd 2010 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8794219)
Fair comment, Bro'. :D

I say "Treat 'em mean and keep 'em keen!"

kittycat1 Aug 22nd 2010 12:49 pm

Erm ok thanks guys and gals- I think...

I shall watch out for him touching me on the hand with his dick lol

Basically I have a date with a South African guy (didn't realise this was scraping the barrel), and its just been ages since I've been on a proper date (every other sort but not a proper one), I've met the guy a couple of times but don't really know anything about him and can't remember how to behave like a lady (cough cough ahem), always seem to fall into bed which my male friends then tell me off for as they say i should play a little bit harder to get, so thought I'd see what everyone else thinks, would kinda be nice to be chased for a bit (in theory). Also the guy lives in my building (I know its asking for trouble) so don't want to seem like an absolute whore if it all goes horribly wrong!

Meow Aug 22nd 2010 12:53 pm

Harry Enfield's Saffer skit... ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iBeZwf1Ypc&NR=1

Grace O Malley Aug 22nd 2010 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 8794364)
Also the guy lives in my building (I know its asking for trouble) so don't want to seem like an absolute whore if it all goes horribly wrong!

Lives in your building:ohmy: oh so not a good idea...

kittycat1 Aug 22nd 2010 2:01 pm

yeah i know Grace, but hes on a much higher floor!

Millhouse Aug 22nd 2010 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley (Post 8794475)
Lives in your building:ohmy: oh so not a good idea...

awkward lift moments... !

Dilmun Aug 22nd 2010 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 8794364)
Erm ok thanks guys and gals- I think...

I shall watch out for him touching me on the hand with his dick lol

Basically I have a date with a South African guy (didn't realise this was scraping the barrel), and its just been ages since I've been on a proper date (every other sort but not a proper one), I've met the guy a couple of times but don't really know anything about him and can't remember how to behave like a lady (cough cough ahem), always seem to fall into bed which my male friends then tell me off for as they say i should play a little bit harder to get, so thought I'd see what everyone else thinks, would kinda be nice to be chased for a bit (in theory). Also the guy lives in my building (I know its asking for trouble) so don't want to seem like an absolute whore if it all goes horribly wrong!

But if everything goes wrong, his opinion shouldn't be of any importance to you anyhow. And if he thinks of you as a hussy, because you jump on him on the first date, than he isn't the right partner for you.
But if he is into you, he will never care about it!
IMO there is only one rule in dating, that is being real, but since I haven't done any dating in ages, what does my opinion count?

Confucius Aug 22nd 2010 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by aPerfectCircle (Post 8793088)
So why especially south african ???

They have big cocks...

Millhouse Aug 22nd 2010 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 8794616)
They are big cocks...

sorry, I had to correct that for you.

Confucius Aug 22nd 2010 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8794633)
sorry, I had to correct that for you.

that's mean...

Oyibopeppeh Aug 22nd 2010 4:08 pm

Rock Spider:

A term used to refer to Boer Afrikaaners by English speaking South African whiteys. Used loosely to describe an Afrikaaner guy who drives around in a tractor wearing a safari suit, ranger boots,knee socks and who has never heard of an invention called a roll on deodorant. Usually a pedophile who sits watching rugby while his wife is heavily-pregnant and barefoot in the kitchen fixing him and their five kids a hot plate.

Confucius Aug 22nd 2010 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh (Post 8794660)
Rock Spider:

A term used to refer to Boer Afrikaaners by English speaking South African whiteys. Used loosely to describe an Afrikaaner guy who drives around in a tractor wearing a safari suit, ranger boots,knee socks and who has never heard of an invention called a roll on deodorant. Usually a pedophile who sits watching rugby while his wife is heavily-pregnant and barefoot in the kitchen fixing him and their five kids a hot plate.

Also own a pair of large cocks???

expat.brat Aug 22nd 2010 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8793860)
As if someone like you could ever get one :rolleyes:
-

yes, you know me far too well..

Charismatic Aug 23rd 2010 6:19 am

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh (Post 8794660)
Rock Spider:
...Afrikaaner guy who drives around in a tractor wearing a safari suit, ranger boots,knee socks...
...sits watching rugby while his wife is heavily-pregnant and barefoot in the kitchen fixing him and their five kids a hot plate.

This sounds like a great gig, where do I sign up? :thumbup: I don’t actually have to live in S.A. though do I though? I hear its repressing press freedom to report issues now, every few years it seems to consistently hit a new low :(.

Millhouse Aug 23rd 2010 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 8795788)
This sounds like a great gig, where do I sign up? :thumbup: I don’t actually have to live in S.A. though do I though? I hear its repressing press freedom to report issues now, every few years it seems to consistently hit a new low :(.

Who is going to post the you-tube spitting image song to this thread?