Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Date rape not a serious offence, intimates Ken Clarke

Wikiposts

Date rape not a serious offence, intimates Ken Clarke

Old May 18th 2011, 11:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Date rape not a serious offence, intimates Ken Clarke

That article is actually quite confusing to read- Is it addressing statutory rape or forcible rape? My understanding of date rape is that it is forcible rape- statutory rape is sex with a minor? having read your comments I have gone back and read it again and it is easy to concentrate on several different elements. The comment of

Asked why rape sentences were, on average, only five years, he said: "That includes date rape, 17-year-olds having intercourse with 15-year-olds.
is only at the bottom and I am unable to watch the report as I have no sound at work so I cannot gage if Ken's comments were purely refering to consensual sex between a 15 and a 17 year old or if this was just one part of his comments. so we all know how I feel about forcible rape and below are tuppence on statutory rape- a very grey area.

If they feel a 17 year old having consensual sex with a 15 year old is not really rape- well how would they feel if it was a 29 year old man? The girl is still as mature as the one sleeping with the 17 year old so is that ok or its just more acceptable to sleep with someone your own age? How many girls at 15 see 17 year old men as immature and look at older men. Maybe a guy thats 20 or 21 with a job and a car, or even an immature 25 year old or a father fgure in a 30 year old. Hang on a 30 year old man with a 15 year old girl- that sounds odd, but to a 15 year old girl thats a mature sexy guy- should he stop anything from happening as he is an adult- more so than the 17 year old man? The girl knows her own mind- she is 15 and looks 19, she is choosing her education direction, pyhsically she is mature. If there is no problem with anyone having sex with a 15 year old then reduce the age of consent. Is a 17 year old taking advantage of a 15 year olds naivity and eagerness to please?- yes I would say so- yes you may get a mature 15 year old who is more wordly wise however at 15 you think you know everything yet really you are open to the influence of those you look up to- which at 15 a 17 year old boyfriend is god. At 17 you know you are breaking the law sleeping with a 15 year old-how often does a 15 year old girl sleep with her boyfriend under pressure- from friends or by him and how often do you get 15 year old girl pregnant with no husband but a lot of regrets. At 17 you know drink driving is illegal, do you still do it, yes- some do, but they are aware that their actons may have consequences if caught. If you are having sex with a 15 year old you are taking advantage of a minor and with that too should come consequences. Without such consequences how can you protect the children involved? If its the girls 16th birthday a week later is it still as bad? If its a 30 year old man having sex with her or a 17 year old- its still illegal and she is still a minor? Its a very grey area indeed. As I have said reduce the age of consent for girls if it is recognized that the are emotionally mature enough to be sexually active at 15 or raise the age of consent for boys to 17.

I must admit I would hate to be a young man that goes clubbing and pulls a girl that says she is 18 or 19- when she is reallly only 13, 14 or 15. It's an absolute minefield.

Of course every case is different and should be handled as so, but for a politician to be making such sweeping statements is leaving yourself open to criticism, there is no way you can define such a grey area.

To grade rape crimes is a very controversial and sensitive area- perhaps is should be viewed as rape with the added charge of GBH etc for violent rape crimes.
Old May 18th 2011, 11:57 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
BBC News; When BBC interviewer Victoria Derbyshire told him "rape is rape", he replied: "No it's not, if an 18-year-old has sex with a 15-year-old and she's perfectly willing, that is rape because she is under age, she can't consent. What you and I are talking about is we are talking about a man forcibly having sex with a woman and she doesn't want to - a serious crime."

I don't understand the problem with what he has said here.

Because someone is underage and therefore cannot legally give consent does not mean that it is rape.
That's not the part I would be pissed off by (except, again - that situation is still not rape).

The full interview is here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-13444770

"Clarke: Rapists don't get… rapists get more than that.

Derbyshire: Hang on a minute. Five years on average, yes they do Mr Clarke, yes they do.

Clarke: That includes date rape, 17-year-olds having intercourse with 15-year-olds."

Either Clarke is confusing date rape and the 17yo-15yo situation, or he is saying it's ok to expect date rape sentences to be short.

Neither is at all good.

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Why not "statutory rape"? I haven't checked, but surely the age of consent is defined in a statute; a 15-year old is not considered capable of giving her (or his) consent to sex, therefore it is not consensual, and (again, I imagine) that part of the statutory definition of rape is sex absent consent. Ergo statutory rape.
You imagine wrong.

See the Sexual Offences Act 2003. Having sex with someone between the age of 13 and 16 consentually is not rape. The ability to consent kicks in at 13, not 16. Such a situation is still a crime, and the crime is "Sexual activity with a child". It is not rape.
Old May 19th 2011, 12:00 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
I must admit I would hate to be a young man that goes clubbing and pulls a girl that says she is 18 or 19- when she is reallly only 13, 14 or 15. It's an absolute minefield.
Not really - if he could show he reasonably believed she was above 16 (possibly not so difficult if she is drinking in a club), he would not have committed an offence.

If she were 12, he'd really be in the crap though.
Old May 19th 2011, 12:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by typical
That's not the part I would be pissed off by (except, again - that situation is still not rape).

The full interview is here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-13444770

"Clarke: Rapists don't get… rapists get more than that.

Derbyshire: Hang on a minute. Five years on average, yes they do Mr Clarke, yes they do.

Clarke: That includes date rape, 17-year-olds having intercourse with 15-year-olds."

Either Clarke is confusing date rape and the 17yo-15yo situation, or he is saying it's ok to expect date rape sentences to be short.

Neither is at all good.

You imagine wrong.

See the Sexual Offences Act 2003. Having sex with someone between the age of 13 and 16 consentually is not rape. The ability to consent kicks in at 13, not 16. Such a situation is still a crime, and the crime is "Sexual activity with a child". It is not rape.

You must either be;

A- A lawyer
B- A rapist

I hadn't seen / read / heard the full conversation so was just chucking in the bit I saw, it's a minefield and I think he has made an error stepping into such an emotional argument where law doesn't neccessarily represent what is seen as right or wrong in a populations eyes...
Old May 19th 2011, 12:16 am
Not an evil hypnotist

You must either be;

A- A lawyer
B- A rapist
There's a C - see if you can figure out what it is.

I hadn't seen / read / heard the full conversation so was just chucking in the bit I saw, it's a minefield and I think he has made an error stepping into such an emotional argument where law doesn't neccessarily represent what is seen as right or wrong in a populations eyes...
He's the bloody justice secretary. There's no reason he shouldn't talk about such things, but he shouldn't be so ignorant about them.

Don't get me started on how the population sees rape.
Old May 19th 2011, 12:26 am
Not an evil hypnotist

(My posts in this thread are brought to you by the words "touched" and "nerve".)
Old May 19th 2011, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

And this is in a debate centred on the difference between non-consensual rape, and a 15-year old girl who willing consents to sex with her boyfriend. Is the 15-year old going to have that experience with her for the rest of her life and expect her boyfriend to suffer "the most serious punishment possible"?
[/I]
completely agree.

When I was 18, I went out clubbing with a couple of mates in Aberdeen. Met a cute girl in the club, copped off and had a little play with the tits on the way home. Was rather embarrassed when I went for lunch from work next day at the Dyce shopping centre and saw her outside ASDA on her lunch break in school uniform! She certainly looked and acted mature enough to pass as someone that sould have legally been in the club. Felt bad for a while after that. But they were nice tits.
Old May 19th 2011, 1:44 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brains1983
completely agree.

When I was 18, I went out clubbing with a couple of mates in Aberdeen. Met a cute girl in the club, copped off and had a little play with the tits on the way home. Was rather embarrassed when I went for lunch from work next day at the Dyce shopping centre and saw her outside ASDA on her lunch break in school uniform! She certainly looked and acted mature enough to pass as someone that sould have legally been in the club. Felt bad for a while after that. But they were nice tits.
Trainspotting. But hopefully without the bedlinen.
Old May 19th 2011, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Trainspotting. But hopefully without the bedlinen.
Only shat myself afterwards, thankfully
Old May 20th 2011, 11:43 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brains1983
Only shat myself afterwards, thankfully