British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Date nets (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/date-nets-707095/)

Millhouse Feb 27th 2011 6:17 am

Date nets

The date palms at Villa de Millhouse are going to give loads of dates this year. Does anyone know where I can get the nets so that I don't lose all the dates?

PS> I hate dates, so if anyone wants them in August feel free to ask. Assuming Dubai is dry by then they may make good feedstock for some home brew (if you want to make dessert wines).

Ethos83 Feb 27th 2011 6:28 am

Re: Date nets

Ask your gardener to get some from the local garden centre.

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 9204474)
The date palms at Villa de Millhouse are going to give loads of dates this year. Does anyone know where I can get the nets so that I don't lose all the dates?

PS> I hate dates, so if anyone wants them in August feel free to ask. Assuming Dubai is dry by then they may make good feedstock for some home brew (if you want to make dessert wines).

Blue Cat Feb 27th 2011 6:33 am

lol you might be right about the dry prediction!

Millhouse Feb 27th 2011 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 9204498)
Ask your gardener to get some from the local garden centre.

We don't have a gardener - I'll take a run out to the garden place near dragonmart then.

Thanks

Blue Cat Feb 27th 2011 6:36 am

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 9204508)
We don't have a gardener - I'll take a run out to the garden place near dragonmart then.

Thanks

you don't have a gardener :blink:

lullabelle Feb 27th 2011 6:42 am

when we went to the date festival last year i tasted some amazing fresh green dates - oh my god! They were incredible. Sadly they weren't actually selling any, nor did they know where they i could get some, apart from mina in July, but i have been diligently keeping my eye out for them ever since.

Millhouse, i may just come and sit under your tree with my mouth open if there are those fresh dates in the offing....:eek:

Madam Medusa Feb 27th 2011 7:47 am

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 9204508)
We don't have a gardener

peasant...!

MM, xx

Millhouse Feb 27th 2011 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 9204603)
peasant...!

MM, xx

I am ashamed from the top of my head to the bottom of my hush puppies.

We had one who came with the house but got rid after about 10 days because:

1) He didn't do anything;
2) He would try and sell us constant services (such as removal of the branch he just cut down) and overprices plants;
3) He was always in the garden phaffing but not working (which just annoyed me);
4) He left the gate open.

The fact that we don't have a Gardener seems to be a real source of confusion for everyone on the council estate. We still get one knock on the door most days to offer his services.

Ethos83 Feb 27th 2011 8:20 am

Uh - that is what gardeners are supposed to do. Why were you surprised?

We had one at the villa in Umm Suqiem. It amused me to no end when he turned up on 20 degree mornings in a balaclava and then proceeded to take a nap on our small green patch.

One day we pooled funds and spent about 600 AED on a bunch of potted plants from a local nursery to spruce up the garden. The next day the gardener came in and complained that it was too much work for him to take care of the new plants (about 15 potted plants...)

We pretty much kept him for amusement.

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 9204624)

1) He didn't do anything;
2) He would try and sell us constant services (such as removal of the branch he just cut down) and overprices plants;
3) He was always in the garden phaffing but not working (which just annoyed me);
4) He left the gate open.

Hello.Kitty Feb 27th 2011 2:54 pm

PS> I hate dates, so if anyone wants them in August feel free to ask.

oo, I'll have some if you don't want them... loads of uses for them... date and honey bars, spiced banana and date cupcakes, date syrup (for cakes), and a few to chuck into this year's mincemeat...

Millhouse Feb 27th 2011 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 9205271)
oo, I'll have some if you don't want them... loads of uses for them... date and honey bars, spiced banana and date cupcakes, date syrup (for cakes), and a few to chuck into this year's mincemeat...

Funny - I thought you would want some.

My crop of chillis is also yielding more that I could possibly eat too if anyone wants them (they are not very hot though).