Dark Side of Dubai !

Old Mar 12th 2014, 5:50 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dark Side of Dubai !

Originally Posted by Meow
There are no local charities that support disadvantaged labourers and domestic staff as to allow a charity to be set up for that reason would mean admitting there is a problem.

I know a couple who have been trying to do this for years. They have also tried to set up an overseas charity with a branch office in the UAE and cannot to that either. If you try and run an organisation to help those in need you run a real risk of being arrested. I know people who have been and been threatened with it myself.

The conditions for labourers, in Dubai at least, are generally better than in the past, but there are still many smaller employers putting men in horrible conditions in the middle of nowhere. Some of you may recall our involvement in one in Sharjah a few years ago where the men hadn't been paid for six months and were living on handouts.

Life isn't fair or equitable and never will be, but the the level of disparity and the poor treatment of many could be improved. I've said it many times before, but we can all do a little by speaking out when we can and treating everyone we come across kindly. Putting your hand in your pocket helps too.
Little things like tipping the guy who bags your shopping or a driver can make a difference.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 6:18 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Little things like tipping the guy who bags your shopping or a driver can make a difference.
i got a "god bless you sir, god bless you and your family" the other day, only cost me 13 dhs.

cheaper than church and meant a lot more to me
Old Mar 12th 2014, 6:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by shiva
i got a "god bless you sir, god bless you and your family" the other day, only cost me 13 dhs.

I've been visiting friends in poor towns and seen kids in shops with a couple of riyahl so trying to buy sweets for the whole group and given them more so none of them will be left out. I always do it right in front of the shopkeeper though to avoid issues.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 6:59 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beakersful
I've been visiting friends in poor towns and seen kids in shops with a couple of riyahl so trying to buy sweets for the whole group and given them more so none of them will be left out. I always do it right in front of the shopkeeper though to avoid issues.
i have a policy in our local shopnexttothemosque whenever i see someone paying in small change and they have to put something back because they dont have enough money i pay the extra. Think the most ive ever had to pay was about 8 dhs. terrifying really
Old Mar 12th 2014, 7:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I used to get frustrated with the bag packers, because my mrs is anal about it and I think it's rubbed off on me.

But to be honest, anyone and everyone in a shit job gets a tip from me, petrol men, bag me, taxi-men, all of them. Although the taxi's sometimes get **** all because they can be lunatics, then I make a point to get my 3dhs change, but that's rare and only if I've come close to shitting myself.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 8:03 am
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by Scamp
I used to get frustrated with the bag packers, because my mrs is anal about it and I think it's rubbed off on me.

But to be honest, anyone and everyone in a shit job gets a tip from me, petrol men, bag me, taxi-men, all of them. Although the taxi's sometimes get **** all because they can be lunatics, then I make a point to get my 3dhs change, but that's rare and only if I've come close to shitting myself.
as you say apart from homicidal taxi drivers i just round up any tip plus whatever the difference is. so for above i would have tipped about 10 dhs but there is now way im asking for the other 3 dhs back
Old Mar 12th 2014, 8:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

as you say apart from homicidal taxi drivers i just round up any tip plus whatever the difference is. so for above i would have tipped about 10 dhs but there is now way im asking for the other 3 dhs back
I round up to the 10.

SO if a 12dhs ride, they get 20.
24, 30
39, 40...unless they're good, then it's 50.

If I'm pissed they get whatever they want.

If it's a 36/37/38/39 cab ride and they've been a ****ing idiot, I'll wait for all my change / have to ask for it.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

When some twat comes over and tells you that you've got to pay for a buggered up order and a load of drinks you didn't have because if you don't they're going to deduct the waitresses wages. The last time this happened earlier this week the beer didn't even come out of the tap.
Old Mar 12th 2014, 8:06 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Cypselos
When some twat comes over and tells you that you've got to pay for a buggered up order and a load of drinks you didn't have because if you don't they're going to deduct the waitresses wages. The last time this happened earlier this week the beer didn't even come out of the tap.
Really? Never had that nasty threat used. I've had to correct the odd bill but would be stunned if that happened to me.

What do you do?
Old Mar 13th 2014, 4:37 am
**** it we'll do it live

Easy solution, give the waitress the money and tell the bar to **** off
Old Mar 13th 2014, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

Really? Never had that nasty threat used. I've had to correct the odd bill but would be stunned if that happened to me.

What do you do?
After it was established they were going to charge her (she'd gone off shift so wasn't there to sort it out) we tried to pay and had the money turned away. The idiot would rather take it out of her wages than accept they'd made a mistake even with the orders in front of him.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 8:57 am
Account Closed

After it was established they were going to charge her (she'd gone off shift so wasn't there to sort it out) we tried to pay and had the money turned away. The idiot would rather take it out of her wages than accept they'd made a mistake even with the orders in front of him.
Hateful.

Feel free to name and shame or PM me which bar so I make sure I don't go.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 9:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hateful.

Feel free to name and shame or PM me which bar so I make sure I don't go.
It happens everywhere. They are too scared to show any error on any till.

I recently had to sort out a 1500DH mistake made at ENOC - poor girl wouldn't get any wages that month - until I went mental at them.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 9:49 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Millhouse
It happens everywhere. They are too scared to show any error on any till.

I recently had to sort out a 1500DH mistake made at ENOC - poor girl wouldn't get any wages that month - until I went mental at them.
Part of me thinks it's empty threats, to make you pay rather than explain to the person above what happened.

Another part of me thinks they would do that, because they're *****.

Another part of me thinks that kicking off and ranting at these half-wits won't make the blindest bit of difference and they'll just do what they want anyway.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Part of me thinks it's empty threats, to make you pay rather than explain to the person above what happened.

Another part of me thinks they would do that, because they're *****.

Another part of me thinks that kicking off and ranting at these half-wits won't make the blindest bit of difference and they'll just do what they want anyway.
no, it wasn't an empty threat. It had already happened and I found about about it slightly after the event as people where too scared to talk. The joys of having a maid. She came clean in the end.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.