British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Damn..sometimes in life you have to decide (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/damn-sometimes-life-you-have-decide-526543/)

BlackCloud Apr 3rd 2008 12:48 pm

Damn..sometimes in life you have to decide

Faced with a dilema of stay UAE or go back to UK I'm just wondering whether I am attaching too much importance to future security of home and pension.

To stay means having to sell UK house and give up the security of a fairly safe job that willin later life pay a reasonable pension.

To stay represents a higher salary, no pension and maybe only short term but enjoyable lifestyle.

Just wondering who has or has not maintained safety net of UK home and other options?

NedKelly63 Apr 3rd 2008 1:33 pm

Re: Damn..sometimes in life you have to decide

The Clash anyone?

Meow Apr 3rd 2008 2:35 pm

I'd just like to point out that on their death bed no one has ever said "I wish I'd worked more".

Financial security is good, but so is living a good life. Which do you think will make you happier in 20 years time? My parents are a case in point. They have lived in many countries and had great experiences. Whilst they are comfortable they would have had a lot more money in the bank if they had done things differently, but they would be much duller and not have so many good stories.

Sometimes you just have to do what makes you happy now. It is amazing how things can work out for the best.

Border Reiver Apr 3rd 2008 2:47 pm

I thought you'd have been trying to sell him a pension!:p

Meow Apr 3rd 2008 2:52 pm

Oooof! BR, how cruel! :rofl:

I, bizarrely, am the IFA whose always ensures that her clients have enough money to have fun with before saving. :D

Grace O Malley Apr 3rd 2008 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 6153290)
I'd just like to point out that on their death bed no one has ever said "I wish I'd worked more".

Financial security is good, but so is living a good life. Which do you think will make you happier in 20 years time? My parents are a case in point. They have lived in many countries and had great experiences. Whilst they are comfortable they would have had a lot more money in the bank if they had done things differently, but they would be much duller and not have so many good stories.

Sometimes you just have to do what makes you happy now. It is amazing how things can work out for the best.

Oh totally agree on this

My parents worked so hard for their dream, retire ealry, build their dream home with stabless overlooking the atlantic. Yes they acheived the dream and within 2 years my mam was diagnosed with alzhemers.

I say live for now

AC

IndieG Apr 3rd 2008 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by BlackCloud (Post 6152812)
Faced with a dilema of stay UAE or go back to UK I'm just wondering whether I am attaching too much importance to future security of home and pension.

To stay means having to sell UK house and give up the security of a fairly safe job that willin later life pay a reasonable pension.

To stay represents a higher salary, no pension and maybe only short term but enjoyable lifestyle.

Just wondering who has or has not maintained safety net of UK home and other options?

Are you happy with your current lifestyle? Do you think that your lifestyle in the UAE will be more enjoyable - if so what are the reasons?

You don't have to sell - stay in Dubai/UAE and see if you're enjoying it. If you are then sell your UK property.

You will never know if you don't give it a go:)

charlie03 Apr 3rd 2008 3:40 pm

Why not rent your property out in the UK? You will still have something to fall back on.

With regards to your pension, if you are earning enough surely you can put some money away for the future.

You only get one life, enjoy it:)

Good Luck!
Charlie

jason4004 Apr 3rd 2008 7:05 pm

Well I intend on keeping a house in the UK, a modest terrace in Lancashire and I will keep my pension payments up. This is my fall back and it's only because my mortgage isn't that large.

I can't say whether you should stay in the UAE as I'm not there yet but if you enjoy life where ever you are, that's the main thing. You only live once and when I get old I don't want to be saying I wish I'd done that but I'm too old now...etc.

I was 19 when I left to work in America for 3 months one summer. I didn't know anyone when I got there and had no job and $200. It was the best time of my life and I'm now 35!

Karlos The Jackal Apr 3rd 2008 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by NedKelly63 (Post 6153011)
The Clash anyone?

Safe European Home ????

Old Lob Apr 4th 2008 6:47 am

Originally Posted by BlackCloud (Post 6152812)

Your economics might be wrong in the short term in terms of selling the house but if you have no pension and no savings then you will have to. If you sell it for 250k then this will give you 10k per annum for 25 years - from 60 to 85 when you can die. Forget all the present value stuff it is roughly neutral. With that 10k you will have to get accommodation too.

You'd better do both - kep the house and earn more in Dubai.

Meow Apr 4th 2008 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by jason4004 (Post 6154564)
Well I intend on keeping a house in the UK, a modest terrace in Lancashire and I will keep my pension payments up. This is my fall back and it's only because my mortgage isn't that large.

I can't say whether you should stay in the UAE as I'm not there yet but if you enjoy life where ever you are, that's the main thing. You only live once and when I get old I don't want to be saying I wish I'd done that but I'm too old now...etc.

I was 19 when I left to work in America for 3 months one summer. I didn't know anyone when I got there and had no job and $200. It was the best time of my life and I'm now 35!

Just a technical point here. If you are currently paying into a personal pension scheme which was set up whilst resident you may continue payments when you become non-resident provided the total contributions do not exceed £3,600 gross per annum.

:)

the bat Apr 4th 2008 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by IndieG (Post 6153444)
Are you happy with your current lifestyle? Do you think that your lifestyle in the UAE will be more enjoyable - if so what are the reasons?

You don't have to sell - stay in Dubai/UAE and see if you're enjoying it. If you are then sell your UK property.

You will never know if you don't give it a go:)

one should never sell a UK property, rent it out £1200 in the bank a month is better than nothing, then if all goe's tit's up you will have a place to go.

Old Lob Apr 5th 2008 4:18 am

Originally Posted by the bat (Post 6159907)
one should never sell a UK property, rent it out £1200 in the bank a month is better than nothing, then if all goe's tit's up you will have a place to go.

Not true. If the cost is higher than the value you should sell it. What is true is that you should always have a house with value - where that includes a buying one -in the uk if you wish - which does have a value.