British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Cyprus 'bailout' (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/cyprus-bailout-790809/)

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 18th 2013 11:30 am

Re: Cyprus 'bailout'

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10610397)
It is the most outrageous and astonishing thing I've heard in EUR-history (and that is a tough title to win). The banks are insolvent so the shares are worthless (try to work out the 'book value' for some of those banks....) - and you cannot sell the shares anyway........

It is another nail in the EURO-coffin..... and I worry about this sort of thing on a wider socio-economic scale: at some point (maybe not far off) the people of Europe (particularly in the southern nations) will rise up in civil violence against austerity, etc, while those in the north will rise up against their taxes being raised again and again to pay for the profligacy of southern governments.

Then, gangs of racist vigilantes will start patrolling the streets, torching houses and intimidating residents in largely immigrant neighbourhoods, because far right parties and pressure groups will have convinced them that immigrants are to blame for unemployment, high taxes, high unemployment, etc..........

One day, future history students will find plenty of material for their dissertations on The European Civil War of the early-21st-century........ :(

That's so extreme it's probably going to happen.

al dente Mar 18th 2013 11:37 am

There are some horror vigilante stories coming out of Egypt(i know it's not in Europe!) now. Anarchy. Very chilling.

giddyup Mar 18th 2013 4:13 pm

I think this is what is commonly referred to as a 'masterpiece'

Just remind me again why it was so dastardly and terrible before the EU that we could not possibly go back? Better still, talk me through all the efficiency and benefits for establishing the EU.

Can't help feeling there is an unfeasbily large dose of self interest here being administered by those well versed in the art of survival.

Here's a thought - why not have the money that is being compulsorily acquired from anyone in Southern Europe matched Euro for Euro from the individual savings accounts, pensions, and the like from those in Brussels, Germany etc

Millhouse Mar 20th 2013 6:22 am

Nigel nails it once again

hnd Mar 20th 2013 10:05 am

And all this from an institution whose own auditors have refused to sign off their accounts for at least the last 18 years - go figure ...

giddyup Mar 20th 2013 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by hnd (Post 10614243)
And all this from an institution whose own auditors have refused to sign off their accounts for at least the last 18 years - go figure ...

This combined with the recent EU Cyprus proposal just proves that the whole EU organisation is intellectually bankrupt

Kix Mar 22nd 2013 2:27 pm

How I see is (while living (and hating it) in germany), is that it's just another ploy from the arrogant krauts who want to take the Russian Money (well they failed to take over the country didn't they).

From BBC

1. Restructuring the banks: Under this plan the Laiki (or Popular) Bank would be split into a "good" and "bad" bank. Deposits under 100,000 euros (£85,269) would be protected in the "good" bank. Larger deposits (Read Russian) would be placed in the "bad" bank and would take substantial losses. The Germans favour this idea and want to see larger depositors share in the cost of saving Cyprus.
So, instead of the Chinese, I blame the germans. Horrible, horrible race.

mentalist Mar 22nd 2013 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10618501)
So, instead of the Chinese, I blame the germans. Horrible, horrible race.

If you are not trolling then you are very sick.

mentalist Mar 22nd 2013 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by al dente (Post 10610403)
There are some horror vigilante stories coming out of Egypt(i know it's not in Europe!) now. Anarchy. Very chilling.

Are you writing on the correct thread? Please elaborate.

Kix Mar 22nd 2013 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10618531)
If you are not trolling then you are very sick.

Have you lived there? And no, not trolling, despise them.

Kix Mar 22nd 2013 4:51 pm

Good article on the BBC by Paul Mason

Here.

Germans, trying to take over Europe by €€€€, well they always fail with guns.

hnd Mar 22nd 2013 9:52 pm

OK, it's the Daily Fail but, really, would it surprise anybody?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ey-abroad.html