British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Cycle around Yas Island F1 Track - Is it on tonight? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/cycle-around-yas-island-f1-track-tonight-706419/)

flares Feb 22nd 2011 9:55 am

Cycle around Yas Island F1 Track - Is it on tonight?

Simples?

Yes or no

or don't know?

DustyBits Feb 22nd 2011 10:28 am

Re: Cycle around Yas Island F1 Track - Is it on tonight?

Yes, it's on. South Circuit only tonight so the usual mad procession of speedsters playing chicken with toddlers on trikes, with some joggers coming the other way just to add to the fun!

DB

flares Feb 23rd 2011 3:56 am

Originally Posted by DustyBits (Post 9193557)
Yes, it's on. South Circuit only tonight so the usual mad procession of speedsters playing chicken with toddlers on trikes, with some joggers coming the other way just to add to the fun!

DB

Cheers DB.

Went along and ran round the circuit whilst my eldest and his pal and pal's dad cycled t'other way.

Lots of nice kit on display.

commander Feb 23rd 2011 4:22 am

Originally Posted by DustyBits (Post 9193557)

DB

oh, ill be the mad speedster then...

maybe the toddlers on thier trikes should be parented a little better before their is an accident.

commander Feb 23rd 2011 4:24 am

Originally Posted by saudiflares (Post 9195462)
Cheers DB.

Went along and ran round the circuit whilst my eldest and his pal and pal's dad cycled t'other way.

Lots of nice kit on display.

i cycled for about 1h15 then ran some laps until it shut.. i maybe saw you:D

weescot Feb 23rd 2011 6:26 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 9195492)
i cycled for about 1h15 then ran some laps until it shut.. i maybe saw you:D

I saw you....

commander Feb 23rd 2011 6:59 am

Originally Posted by weescot (Post 9195631)
I saw you....

you never said hi!!

weescot Feb 23rd 2011 7:08 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 9195671)
you never said hi!!

I was biking and you were running - my "hi" got lost in the wind I think.....:( plus you were blethering....

DustyBits Feb 23rd 2011 7:53 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 9195491)
oh, ill be the mad speedster then...

maybe the toddlers on thier trikes should be parented a little better before their is an accident.

Absolutely agree with you there. My teenage daughter went over her handlebars having to stop suddenly when an unsupervised toddler ran onto the pit lane. Parents just looked on and said nothing. Luckily no serious injuries.
Mind you, I'd describe my speed as mid-range and I've twice almost been knocked off by top speed, drafting idiots undertaking on the right and missing me (and others) by inches. They're the ones who should be setting the example of proper etiquette and safety. Last night was a good example again.
Fingers crossed back to full circuit next week so should thin the pack a bit.

commander Feb 23rd 2011 8:35 am

Originally Posted by DustyBits (Post 9195737)
Mind you, I'd describe my speed as mid-range and I've twice almost been knocked off by top speed, drafting idiots undertaking on the right and missing me (and others) by inches. They're the ones who should be setting the example of proper etiquette and safety. .

Cant argue with that, however sometimes it is hard to overtake on the left when some bint and her hairdressing friend are talking about nail extensions whilst going into a corner on the far left at approx 0.5kph...then the peleton comes round at 40-45kph...what do you expect the guys to do apart from undertake, and shouting common cycling instructions is like a foreign language to non cyclists, they just dont get it.

It is too busy now, and i fear the worst.

I cycle around on my own or with a couple of mates and never draft..we are triathletes and triathletes dont draft:D

DustyBits Feb 24th 2011 4:20 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 9195798)

It is too busy now, and i fear the worst.

I cycle around on my own or with a couple of mates and never draft..we are triathletes and triathletes dont draft:D

Also agree it's now way too busy, especially on South Circuit-only nights. They say in the blurb that they will limit numbers but this is obviously not happening. Also saw 3 riders with no helmets on Tuesday night. As my mammy used to say..."It's going to end in tears!"

I'm an 'aspiring' triathlete (at 47!) so will hopefully get up to a decent speed before I enter the Veterans category.....

DB

commander Feb 24th 2011 4:50 am

Originally Posted by DustyBits (Post 9198009)
Also agree it's now way too busy, especially on South Circuit-only nights. They say in the blurb that they will limit numbers but this is obviously not happening. Also saw 3 riders with no helmets on Tuesday night. As my mammy used to say..."It's going to end in tears!"

I'm an 'aspiring' triathlete (at 47!) so will hopefully get up to a decent speed before I enter the Veterans category.....

DB

How do you limit numbers though, thats the issue, its meant to be available for all..

I would ban women and children:D

Kidding, there is some magic eye candy.

flares Feb 24th 2011 6:44 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 9198045)
Kidding, there is some magic eye candy.

some big old units too...but fair play to them getting out there for the trot round

commander Feb 24th 2011 7:13 am

Originally Posted by saudiflares (Post 9198186)
some big old units too...but fair play to them getting out there for the trot round

there is a rather large lady that has been every single week and cycles around for the whole 2 hours. she is brilliant and an inspiration.

We commented last week just how much weight she has lost over the last year.