Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Cyber attack and the nerd that thwarted it

Cyber attack and the nerd that thwarted it

Old May 14th 2017, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cyber attack and the nerd that thwarted it

Leaving aside what kind of wanker releases an 'atom bomb of cyber attack', my favourite bit of the story is the professional IT malware defender who found the fatal flaw. He registered the domain name and redirected it all to some kind of sand pit server. Still can't really get my head around it!
Old May 14th 2017, 4:58 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cyber attack and the nerd that thwarted it

Mental isn't it.

Maybe cyber stuff is going to be WWIII
Old May 14th 2017, 5:42 am
Millhouse is not a meme

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post

Maybe cyber stuff is going to be WWIII
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
Old May 14th 2017, 5:42 am
Millhouse is not a meme

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by al dente View Post
Leaving aside what kind of wanker releases an 'atom bomb of cyber attack', my favourite bit of the story is the professional IT malware defender who found the fatal flaw. He registered the domain name and redirected it all to some kind of sand pit server. Still can't really get my head around it!
It's brilliant. I just like how it was effectively so simple to stop. It also means that the next one won't have the kill switch.
Old May 14th 2017, 5:57 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse View Post
It's brilliant. I just like how it was effectively so simple to stop. It also means that the next one won't have the kill switch.
The off swtich was beautiful in its simplicity but you're right, the next one won't be so easy! Bet there are some cross gansters out there.

On a sidenote, have any of you read any books about Cyber Crime. My husband was telling me of a scam where, due to the credit card tapping technology, gangs hang out at busy tube stops and just tap your wallet as you walk past, taking small amounts. At rush hour, a bump here and there and you can steal thousands.
Old May 14th 2017, 6:03 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse View Post
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
You sound like Einstein.
Old May 14th 2017, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
You sound like Einstein.
He's a quoter, not a fighter.
Old May 14th 2017, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

our company has blocked all attachments (worldwide) in emails coming from external sources....and then we have to go through hoops to get the attachment. Hopefully they will come to their senses come Monday and business will resume as per normal.
Old May 14th 2017, 9:24 am
WWLLCJD?

Originally Posted by mission View Post
our company has blocked all attachments (worldwide) in emails coming from external sources....and then we have to go through hoops to get the attachment. Hopefully they will come to their senses come Monday and business will resume as per normal.
I dream of a day when I get no attachments.