British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Cyber attack and the nerd that thwarted it (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/cyber-attack-nerd-thwarted-896732/)

al dente May 14th 2017 3:53 am

Cyber attack and the nerd that thwarted it

Leaving aside what kind of wanker releases an 'atom bomb of cyber attack', my favourite bit of the story is the professional IT malware defender who found the fatal flaw. He registered the domain name and redirected it all to some kind of sand pit server. Still can't really get my head around it!

scrubbedexpat141 May 14th 2017 4:58 am

Re: Cyber attack and the nerd that thwarted it

Mental isn't it.

Maybe cyber stuff is going to be WWIII

Millhouse May 14th 2017 5:42 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12252243)

Maybe cyber stuff is going to be WWIII

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Millhouse May 14th 2017 5:42 am

Originally Posted by al dente (Post 12252223)
Leaving aside what kind of wanker releases an 'atom bomb of cyber attack', my favourite bit of the story is the professional IT malware defender who found the fatal flaw. He registered the domain name and redirected it all to some kind of sand pit server. Still can't really get my head around it!

It's brilliant. I just like how it was effectively so simple to stop. It also means that the next one won't have the kill switch.

al dente May 14th 2017 5:57 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12252254)
It's brilliant. I just like how it was effectively so simple to stop. It also means that the next one won't have the kill switch.

The off swtich was beautiful in its simplicity but you're right, the next one won't be so easy! Bet there are some cross gansters out there.

On a sidenote, have any of you read any books about Cyber Crime. My husband was telling me of a scam where, due to the credit card tapping technology, gangs hang out at busy tube stops and just tap your wallet as you walk past, taking small amounts. At rush hour, a bump here and there and you can steal thousands.

scrubbedexpat141 May 14th 2017 6:03 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12252253)
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

You sound like Einstein.

al dente May 14th 2017 6:10 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12252258)
You sound like Einstein.

He's a quoter, not a fighter. :rofl:

mission May 14th 2017 7:28 am

our company has blocked all attachments (worldwide) in emails coming from external sources....and then we have to go through hoops to get the attachment. Hopefully they will come to their senses come Monday and business will resume as per normal.

scrubbedexpat141 May 14th 2017 9:24 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12252288)
our company has blocked all attachments (worldwide) in emails coming from external sources....and then we have to go through hoops to get the attachment. Hopefully they will come to their senses come Monday and business will resume as per normal.

I dream of a day when I get no attachments.
:eek: