Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Cutting ties with Qatar

Cutting ties with Qatar

Old Jun 5th 2017, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

Charl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cutting ties with Qatar

Very interesting development.....

Not sure if any of you will be affected (business or personal)

The United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Bahrain announced on Monday they were severing diplomatic ties with Qatar, as tensions escalate in the region over accusations Doha sponsors terrorism.
The UAE has given Qatari diplomats 48 hours to leave the country after Abu Dhabi accused Doha of "supporting, funding and embracing terrorism, extremism and sectarian organizations," state news agency WAM said.

Qatari citizens have been informed by the UAE that they have 14 days to leave, while citizens from Qatar have also been banned from passing through the UAE.

Emiratis are now banned from visiting or even passing by Qatar by all means.

Saudi news agency SPA said Riyadh cut diplomatic ties and closed borders with its neighbor to “protect its national security from the dangers of terrorism and extremism”.

A Saudi official cited by SPA said the country decided to “sever diplomatic and consular ties with Qatar, and to close all land, sea and aviation ports”.

The “decisive” measure was due to “gross violations committed by authorities in Qatar over the past years”, the Saudi statement said.

The UAE followed suit in cutting ties, and Egypt’s foreign ministry also accused Doha of supporting “terrorism” as it announced the severing of diplomatic relations.

The United Arab Emirates has given Qatari diplomats 48 hours to leave the country. Abu Dhabi accuses Doha of "supporting, funding and embracing terrorism, extremism and sectarian organizations," state news agency WAM said.

The statement said all Egyptian ports and airports would be closed to Qatari vessels and planes.

Bahrain’s news agency said the tiny kingdom was cutting ties with Doha over its insistence on “shaking the security and stability of Bahrain and meddling in its affairs”.

The Saudi-led Arab coalition fighting rebels in Yemen’s two-year war meanwhile said it was expelling Qatar over what it said was the country’s support for organizations including Al-Qaeda and the Islamic State group.

Doha has long faced accusations that it is a state sponsor of terror.

It has been criticized in some quarters for its support of rebel groups fighting Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, and Qatari individuals have also been sanctioned by the US Treasury for terror-funding activities.

In recent weeks, Qatar has been accused outright of terror funding in articles which have appeared in the American media.

It was also criticized for providing a sanctuary to former Hamas chief Khaled Meshaal, who earlier this month used his Doha base - where he has lived in exile for several years - to launch a new policy document.

The Afghan Taliban opened an office in Doha in 2013.

Qatar, which will host the 2022 football World Cup, is a member of the US-led coalition to defeat the Islamic State group.

The country is also home to the Al-Udeid airbase, where the US conducts all coalition air operations for the region.
Saudi, Bahrain, Egypt, UAE cut ties with Qatar over ‘terrorism’ | GulfNews.com
Old Jun 5th 2017, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cutting ties with Qatar

http://britishexpats.com/forum/middl...upport-897620/
Old Jun 5th 2017, 7:07 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like the four are also closing their respective airspaces.

I guess that means that QR planes cannot fly over Saudi, UAE and Egypt?

Saudi, UAE, Bahrain, Egypt cut ties with Qatar over terrorism | GulfNews.com

With the Saudi land border also cut, surely, Qatar will have a problem with supplies quite quickly?
Old Jun 5th 2017, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting times. They are playing hardball, I wonder what demands need to be met, to clear it?

As an aside, many folk are panicking as their flights for the summer are with Qatar Airways.
Old Jun 5th 2017, 8:23 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Well I know one guy who is sh**ing his pants as a lot of his IT stuff is shipped from Jebel Ali to Doha by road on a weekly basis. And he is not the only one by far. I think a LOT of food is shipped by road to Doha isnt it? This was a move designed to hurt economically thats for sure, what with the WC on the table and all.
I was planning a trip after Ramzan to Doha and its usually visa on arrival, I dont know how that would work now. And flight Options? Oman Air?
By the by, I see a diplomatic resolution in the very near future.
Old Jun 5th 2017, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Most food comes in via Saudi as it disembarks from the ships in either Saudi or Jabel Ali. That's why Qatar supermarkets always look like we're stocked with the scavenging from the holds.

And another key factor for why this can't last long.

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
Well I know one guy who is sh**ing his pants as a lot of his IT stuff is shipped from Jebel Ali to Doha by road on a weekly basis. And he is not the only one by far. I think a LOT of food is shipped by road to Doha isnt it? This was a move designed to hurt economically thats for sure, what with the WC on the table and all.
I was planning a trip after Ramzan to Doha and its usually visa on arrival, I dont know how that would work now. And flight Options? Oman Air?
Old Jun 5th 2017, 11:43 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Time to get friendly with Iran and Oman.
OmanAir will be able to fly, but will have to be through Iranian airspace.
Supplies shipping will be also in Iranian and Omani waters.
Old Jun 5th 2017, 2:02 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

So - who controls the Straits of Hormuz?
Old Jun 5th 2017, 4:44 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hnd
Or more importantly for Qatar, the Suez canal?
Old Jun 5th 2017, 5:52 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't this a bit rich coming from their larger neighbour?
Old Jun 5th 2017, 6:03 pm

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
larger neighbour
Larger is right! The fast food industry has declared an all out war on this region's local population and are winning at an unimaginable pace. Never have I seen so many young ones with so much on them!! Second only to the septics I assure you!
Old Jun 5th 2017, 6:08 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Larger is right! The fast food industry has declared an all out war on this region's local population and are winning at an unimaginable pace. Never have I seen so many young ones with so much on them!! Second only to the septics I assure you!
The white cotton manufacturers must be making a killing...
Old Jun 5th 2017, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
The white cotton manufacturers must be making a killing...
o aye! as well as the ones providing the abayas' cloth
im in the wrong business ffs!
Old Jun 6th 2017, 12:35 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hnd
Iran and Oman. It's the main reason Oman keeps a strong control on UAE dissidents trying to merge North Oman into the UAE.
Old Jun 7th 2017, 8:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
Iran and Oman. It's the main reason Oman keeps a strong control on UAE dissidents trying to merge North Oman into the UAE.
and the Yanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.