customs and cigs

Old Apr 3rd 2010, 6:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default customs and cigs

Hi all,

Quick question, I am travelling abroad this week, then back in Dubai for 2 days and then back to the UK, If I buy duty free whilst travellling this week and then again on my way into the UK am I allowed to take all the cigs from both trips into the UK, so 2 cartons leaving Dubai, 2 coming back in and 2 going back to the UK so I'd be taking 6 cartons back. Does anyone know if your allowed to do that?

Cheers

Kittycat
x
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 7:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: customs and cigs

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Hi all,

Quick question, I am travelling abroad this week, then back in Dubai for 2 days and then back to the UK, If I buy duty free whilst travellling this week and then again on my way into the UK am I allowed to take all the cigs from both trips into the UK, so 2 cartons leaving Dubai, 2 coming back in and 2 going back to the UK so I'd be taking 6 cartons back. Does anyone know if your allowed to do that?

Cheers

Kittycat
x
No

Just buy a load in Dubai and take them - I have taken back 2000+ several times...
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

DesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond reputeDesertOcean has a reputation beyond repute

you smoke too much!
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 7:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Not for me - unless your a customs officer in which case I smoke 100 a day of different brands!
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 7:51 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Be prepared to lose all of them if you get stopped though. You won't get a fine as long as you're a first time offender/smuggler..

I know this because me and some of my mates were stopped at Gatwick and lost 12,000 cigs on the way back from Lithuania. Lithuania had recently joined EU so we thought it was the same as normal within EU, but for some reason they were excluded from the quota rules. :curse:
Old Apr 4th 2010, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

matt-e will become famous soon enoughmatt-e will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by norsk
Be prepared to lose all of them if you get stopped though. You won't get a fine as long as you're a first time offender/smuggler..

I know this because me and some of my mates were stopped at Gatwick and lost 12,000 cigs on the way back from Lithuania. Lithuania had recently joined EU so we thought it was the same as normal within EU, but for some reason they were excluded from the quota rules. :curse:
That's cos the UK customs seem to pick and choose what they count as an EU country. Basically anywhere the cigs and booze is much cheaper different rules apply. I went to Prague shortly after the Czech Republic joined the EU. Great I thought as now the Czech Republic was in the EU I could bring back "EU allowences" which are much higher than "Outside EU". Wrong, Czech Republic was listed as an exception and for UK Customs purposes was counted as outside EU. This is probably something to do with the fact a bottle of Absinthe will only set you back about £2 in Prague.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 9:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I know this because me and some of my mates were stopped at Gatwick and lost 12,000 cigs on the way back from Lithuania.
Thats quite a lot of cigs- did you not have any clothes in your suitcase?
Old Apr 4th 2010, 9:09 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Thats quite a lot of cigs- did you not have any clothes in your suitcase?
It was in fact my stag do and my so-called friends tricked me and left all my clothes behind in the UK so no there was plenty of room for cigarettes in my bag...

The fags weren't all mine mind you..