Wikiposts

Curry Houses & Boozers

Old Aug 24th 2013, 2:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of
Default Re: Curry Houses & Boozers

oh and one Karama/Bur dubai one which is also in media city is gazebo. Very rich food, nice. Try their Dum Biryani (comes in a clay pot with a pastry lid) yum.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Blazeaway will become famous soon enoughBlazeaway will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Brains1983
Preferably licensed, however we're used to separating the food from drink since being here, so providing it falls under the category of "British Indian Food", it's good.

Hungry Tiger and Curry Box duly noted!
25 degree north in tecom is great
Old Aug 27th 2013, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Blazeaway will become famous soon enoughBlazeaway will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
and very handy location for Brains then there is stuff in the Marina and McGettigans in JLT is handy and they do super fish n chips
I have to say having spent almost two years visiting (1 week per month), the food at McGettigans gives microwave British pubs a bad name. The worst fish and chips ever!!!! Only eat fish and chips in UK, nowhere here is good!
Old Aug 28th 2013, 10:00 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blazeaway
25 degree north in tecom is great
agree I like it there as well but prefer British Indian at Hungry Tiger.

I have to say having spent almost two years visiting (1 week per month), the food at McGettigans gives microwave British pubs a bad name. The worst fish and chips ever!!!! Only eat fish and chips in UK, nowhere here is good!
so why keep going back? personally I think their food is good.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

agree I like it there as well but prefer British Indian at Hungry Tiger.

so why keep going back? personally I think their food is good.
Before I moved out, I did business trips every month and that is where we stayed!
Old Aug 30th 2013, 5:57 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Before I moved out, I did business trips every month and that is where we stayed!
there are plenty of other options within walking distance of the Bonnington.
Old Sep 7th 2013, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

The Mrs and I ordered out for Brit Balti last night and............ it was between terrible and average!

Bad Bits

The starter of chicken pakora was tiny. 3 small, dry and tough morsels not much bigger than a dirham coin.
The next starter was Samosa's and the Mrs thinks they were shop bought.

I had a chicken Tikka Masala and there was waaaaaay to much coconut in there. To the point that the curry was sweet and every chew you could hear the coconut on your teeth. The chicken was also dry and tough, I.e. overcooked.

The Mrs had the lamp curry (I didn't taste it) but she said the lamb was dry and tough, so again over cooked.

Good Bits

Proper popadoms - I.e British style plain fried ones. Yum!
Everything was boiling hot on arrival.
Short delivery time.

So all in all it was pish! Also as the Mrs is a Brindian herself who cooks several different curries from scratch she was of the opinion that these were made using a bought in base sauce. Poor show!

We will add this to the list of British Curry house disappointments in Dubai!
Old Sep 8th 2013, 12:06 am
Concierge

where did you order from?
Old Sep 8th 2013, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

where did you order from?
Brit Balti... Home delivery.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 12:56 am
Concierge

not heard of that one, not that I will be bothering with them anyways
Old Sep 8th 2013, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

not heard of that one, not that I will be bothering with them anyways
Hmmm, just read through this thread and could have sworn I had got the name off here but not a mention.

Was pretty disappointing as the website looks good etc. Will have to try a different one next time!
Old Sep 8th 2013, 2:06 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Hmmm, just read through this thread and could have sworn I had got the name off here but not a mention.

Was pretty disappointing as the website looks good etc. Will have to try a different one next time!
If you are after Brindian, Brick Lane isn't bad. The best was the place at Defence roundabout that was owned by the Welsh guy before it changed hands, but the least worse option is probably Rupee Rooms these days.

Blue Cat - we tried Hungry Tiger but didn't rate it at all. Nor did friends who tried it separately. Shame as Mr Ali seems lovely.

We've been busy all day today, so will be popping out for a quick dinner courtesy of Bombay Chowpatty. Great dosas and a tasty butter chicken, plus sides and two soft drinks all for a bargain Dhs 45 for the two of us.

When (if) I get some time, I'll have a read of the new Rick Stein cookbook on India and make some of his recipes. His Sri Lankan chicken curry from his Far East Odessy is one of the best I've ever tasted.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 2:32 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
If you are after Brindian, Brick Lane isn't bad. The best was the place at Defence roundabout that was owned by the Welsh guy before it changed hands, but the least worse option is probably Rupee Rooms these days.

Blue Cat - we tried Hungry Tiger but didn't rate it at all. Nor did friends who tried it separately. Shame as Mr Ali seems lovely.

We've been busy all day today, so will be popping out for a quick dinner courtesy of Bombay Chowpatty. Great dosas and a tasty butter chicken, plus sides and two soft drinks all for a bargain Dhs 45 for the two of us.

When (if) I get some time, I'll have a read of the new Rick Stein cookbook on India and make some of his recipes. His Sri Lankan chicken curry from his Far East Odessy is one of the best I've ever tasted.
Was that called British Tandoori at defence Roundabout?

Last edited by commander; Sep 8th 2013 at 2:36 am.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 2:38 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
Was that called British Tandoori at defence Roundabout?
I think it was. It was terrific and then it changed hands I can't find a decent prawn dhansak anywhere.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 4:14 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Meow

did you dine in or get delivery? there seems to be a few issues with the delivery side of things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.