British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Curry Houses & Boozers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/curry-houses-boozers-803850/)

Brains1983 Jul 24th 2013 9:20 am

Curry Houses & Boozers

With the move down to Dubai coming close, I need to find new eating and drinking establishments. Will be living at the back of IBN Battuta / Disco Gardens. I'm aware of the Jebel Ali Recreation Club thingy which is fine for an after work pint, but not really where I'd take the wife for drinks or food (although the food is fine there).

Closest boozers I can take the mrs too?

How about for a curry? I'm a real fussy bastard and much prefer the British version of Indian grub rather than the the local/traditional incarnations. I've read that "Brick Lane" is supposed to be pretty good - any feedback from BErs? We also went to "Khazana" a couple of times and quite like it, however it's the other side of Dubai so not likely to be heading there very often.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Brian

commander Jul 24th 2013 9:26 am

Re: Curry Houses & Boozers

Brick Lane is good for sure, as is Brit Balti.

Blue Cat Jul 24th 2013 9:35 am

Do you want a licensed curry place? I have never heard a decent word about Brick Lane though I haven't tried it myself. We used to use curry box for delivery until this week when Hungry Tiger opened in Al Barsha :thumbsup:

Brains1983 Jul 24th 2013 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10816413)
Do you want a licensed curry place? I have never heard a decent word about Brick Lane though I haven't tried it myself. We used to use curry box for delivery until this week when Hungry Tiger opened in Al Barsha :thumbsup:

Preferably licensed, however we're used to separating the food from drink since being here, so providing it falls under the category of "British Indian Food", it's good.

Hungry Tiger and Curry Box duly noted!

Blue Cat Jul 24th 2013 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 10816423)
Preferably licensed, however we're used to separating the food from drink since being here, so providing it falls under the category of "British Indian Food", it's good.

Hungry Tiger and Curry Box duly noted!

British Indian, you have Flames JLT, Zafran (Marina Mall), Rupee Room (Marina) and this new Hungry Tiger in Barsha where I am going tonight :) Licensed there are tons of them but I like Mahec at Le Meridien Hotel which is a huge trek over to the Airport. There is a new licensed one in Marriot Marquis as well.

mikewot Jul 24th 2013 9:46 am

Ibn Battuta gate hotel, plenty of lovely watering holes and bargain basement evening brunch on Thursday and Friday.

Blue Cat Jul 24th 2013 9:48 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10816437)
Ibn Battuta gate hotel, plenty of lovely watering holes and bargain basement evening brunch on Thursday and Friday.

and very handy location for Brains :thumbsup: then there is stuff in the Marina and McGettigans in JLT is handy and they do super fish n chips :)

Brains1983 Jul 24th 2013 9:51 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10816437)

Interesting - where about though? I've been in once, and the only place I could see was ground floor and looked more like a cafe (we sat outside and had a beer). Are there other boozers in there?

NorthernLad Jul 24th 2013 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 10816383)
With the move down to Dubai coming close, I need to find new eating and drinking establishments. Will be living at the back of IBN Battuta / Disco Gardens. I'm aware of the Jebel Ali Recreation Club thingy which is fine for an after work pint, but not really where I'd take the wife for drinks or food (although the food is fine there).

Closest boozers I can take the mrs too?

How about for a curry? I'm a real fussy bastard and much prefer the British version of Indian grub rather than the the local/traditional incarnations. I've read that "Brick Lane" is supposed to be pretty good - any feedback from BErs? We also went to "Khazana" a couple of times and quite like it, however it's the other side of Dubai so not likely to be heading there very often.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Brian

I quite like Ushna in the Madinat - I'm fussy but can get away with their dishes...and always nice to have a beer to go with it.

Blue Cat Jul 24th 2013 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 10816445)
Interesting - where about though? I've been in once, and the only place I could see was ground floor and looked more like a cafe (we sat outside and had a beer). Are there other boozers in there?

there is a selection of restaurants in there, it's not a bad Hotel I went pre-opening for a tour, love the foyer area with all those lanterns

mikewot Jul 24th 2013 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 10816445)

You have the Grand Hall when you go in, the one with the huge lanterns and they hold a Friday lunch brunch there Al Bahou where you sit in the middle but choose food from the other restaurants.
Moroc Lounge Bar, inside & out.
Sicilia Italian
Chor Baazar Indian
Olive Tree by the pool on the rooftop
Mistral with it's bargain Evening Brunch
Shangai Chic Chinese

scot47 Jul 24th 2013 12:34 pm

Ah the Modern Brit abroad. Give him a cheap curry and the chance to get pissed and he is happy !

StublueKPL Jul 24th 2013 12:42 pm

Rupee Room used to be good. they used to advertise in the back of taxis "real british curries all the way from Glasgow". however, was really disappointed as they couldn't do chicken pakora!! - what kind of british indian curry house in Dubai is this was the cry?

Blue Cat Jul 24th 2013 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by StublueKPL (Post 10816755)
Rupee Room used to be good. they used to advertise in the back of taxis "real british curries all the way from Glasgow". however, was really disappointed as they couldn't do chicken pakora!! - what kind of british indian curry house in Dubai is this was the cry?

I had heard that the original Scottish/Indian owners of the Rupee Room had sold up, not sure how true that is. I have done their Friday deal a few times, at the time it was good value for money, not sure about pricing now. Tonight I am going to Hungry Tiger though, best onion bhaji I have ever had here :)

Autonomy Jul 24th 2013 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by StublueKPL (Post 10816755)

Odd - I have had chicken pakora from there many times... Rupee Room is pretty good, better than Brick Lane I think. Brick Lane starters are terrible, mains not bad.