British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Curry (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/curry-734652/)

scrubbedexpat141 Oct 5th 2011 5:06 am

Curry

Having just posted something about a cuzza in KK's thread I thought, rather than hijack a conversation about arses, I'd create a new one.

Best Curry in Dubai;

So far, the stand out, head and shoulders above for me has been Ravi's in Satwa. Just across the roundabout and down from the Rotana that holds Aussie Legends.

It doesn't look much but I asked what was good and the chap suggested a Chicken Handi (never heard of it) - was awesome. That, plus a keema naan (shared), some other naan/bread shit (big pile shared), rice (shared) and salad starter (couple for us all) came to 30dhs each.

Careful mind, the chairs aren't that solid and I'm quite heavy. Nearly broke one. Suggest taking your own if you're a fatty.

flares Oct 5th 2011 5:24 am

Re: Curry

this post is making me hunger for a curry...at 9.20am on a Wednesday morning

Oak Tree Oct 5th 2011 5:26 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9658205)
Having just posted something about a cuzza in KK's thread I thought, rather than hijack a conversation about arses, I'd create a new one.

Best Curry in Dubai;

So far, the stand out, head and shoulders above for me has been Ravi's in Satwa. Just across the roundabout and down from the Rotana that holds Aussie Legends.

It doesn't look much but I asked what was good and the chap suggested a Chicken Handi (never heard of it) - was awesome. That, plus a keema naan (shared), some other naan/bread shit (big pile shared), rice (shared) and salad starter (couple for us all) came to 30dhs each.

Careful mind, the chairs aren't that solid and I'm quite heavy. Nearly broke one. Suggest taking your own if you're a fatty.

Mmm, Interesting.

I was really wondering where the best Curry was

Brains1983 Oct 5th 2011 5:46 am

Khana Khazana is by far the best curry house I've been to in the UAE.

lullabelle Oct 5th 2011 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9658205)

Best Curry in Dubai;

Are you my brother? Every time I read one of your posts you sound just like him. It's uncanny.

scrubbedexpat141 Oct 5th 2011 6:00 am

Originally Posted by Oak Tree (Post 9658218)
Mmm, Interesting.

I was really wondering where the best Curry was

The best curry for you is on the corner of **** off and knobhead, restaurant is called Curry's for ******'s.

You'll love it there, fit right in.

TGFKASE Oct 5th 2011 6:04 am

Dubai curry? Definitley agree with Ravi's.

Best UAE curry? Was at Bukhara in the Ajman Kempinski a week or 2 ago and have to say that is the best I have tasted anywhere in the UAE to date..

scrubbedexpat141 Oct 5th 2011 6:06 am

Originally Posted by lullabelle (Post 9658262)
Are you my brother? Every time I read one of your posts you sound just like him. It's uncanny.

Is your brother the following;

Tall
Handsome
Clever
Funny (sometimes)
A bit rude
Exceptionally average golfer

Did I mention handsome?

lullabelle Oct 5th 2011 6:08 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9658277)
Is your brother the following;

Tall
Handsome
Clever
Funny (sometimes)
A bit rude
Exceptionally average golfer

Did I mention handsome?

A bit fat

scrubbedexpat141 Oct 5th 2011 6:13 am

Originally Posted by lullabelle (Post 9658279)
A bit fat

I'm a bit fat.

Getting scared?

mentalist Oct 5th 2011 6:26 am

According to Time Out magazine, Ravis is generally accepted as being the best budget curry house in town. Its Pakistani rather than Indian I believe. Not sure about the difference. The best curry I've had was just across the road at Coconut Grove in the hotel housing Aussies Legends. Didn't know it was called the Rotana though.:confused:Otherwise the Indian buffets at the Rupee Room (Marina) and India Palace (DFC) have been top drawer for anyone wishing to spend less than Dhs100 per head.

TGFKASE Oct 5th 2011 6:30 am

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 9658293)
According to Time Out magazine, Ravis is generally accepted as being the best budget curry house in town. Its Pakistani rather than Indian I believe. Not sure about the difference. The best curry I've had was just across the road at Coconut Grove in the hotel housing Aussies Legends. Didn't know it was called the Rotana though.:confused:Otherwise the Indian buffets at the Rupee Room (Marina) and India Palace (DFC) have been top drawer for anyone wishing to spend less than Dhs100 per head.

Its not Rotana..

Its Rydges Plaza...

scrubbedexpat141 Oct 5th 2011 6:51 am

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 9658300)
Its not Rotana..

Its Rydges Plaza...

My fault - knew it was an R and guessed Rotana.

Rydges is right.

co durham boy Oct 5th 2011 7:06 am

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 9658293)

Ravi's or Karachi Darbar are really good , the Pakistani style of curry is more akin to what you get in the U.K . Some of the best i've had have been made in camp accommodation by the men and taste great , you might get the odd toenail or pube but i put that down to a hard days graft ! :D

After eating loads and loads of curries in this part of the world i now find curry back home very bland and really sweet

Ethos83 Oct 5th 2011 7:30 am

Ravis was good but every time I ate there I always wondered how they managed to keep it so cheap whilst still being quite tasty, so I never ate there that often. Avoid the bathrooms and be prepared to spend quality time in your bathroom afterwards. As others have noted Ravi's is Pakistani food rather than proper Indian. It lacks the slight undercurrent of sweetness you may find in many traditional Indian curries.

Karachi Darbar had fabulous daal. I used make a regular lunch out of ordering their daal with two large rotis. 8 AED total. Couldn't get cheaper than that in Dubai without going into barf territory.

Coconut Grove in Rydges was excellent.

I liked Gazebo. On the rich side but very good North Indian cooking. Kamat had excellent thalis with puris.