British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Curious fact from the world of marketing.. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/curious-fact-world-marketing-722676/)

OleJanx Jun 27th 2011 9:05 pm

Curious fact from the world of marketing..

Apparently, one ton of Kit-kats are sold through various retail outlets within Dubai Airport every day. Who buys them, and how come in such quantities?:huh:

Boomhauer Jun 27th 2011 9:12 pm

Re: Curious fact from the world of marketing..

The KitKat in England tastes different from the one here in the US.

paca Jun 27th 2011 9:23 pm

They sell wasabi kitkats in japan

OleJanx Jun 28th 2011 6:46 am

The ones on sale in the Middle East used to be made in Singapore, and they tasted, well, a bit odd.

typical Jun 28th 2011 1:28 pm

They're different so they don't melt as easily. Or so the wrapper of the one I ate in Singapore this weekend said.

jackthehat Jun 28th 2011 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by typical (Post 9462411)
They're different so they don't melt as easily. Or so the wrapper of the one I ate in Singapore this weekend said.

Thorntons is closing today in th UK!

Madam Medusa Jun 28th 2011 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by jackthehat (Post 9462417)

what, completely...? that's terrible news if so...

MM, xx

Bahtatboy Jun 28th 2011 1:39 pm

I never could get the business case for Thorntons: incredibly expensive shop spaces, but selling greeting cards (ok, ridiculous mark-up, but even so), and 5-10 quid boxes of chocolates.

Madam Medusa Jun 28th 2011 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9462436)
I never could get the business case for Thorntons: incredibly expensive shop spaces, but selling greeting cards (ok, ridiculous mark-up, but even so), and 5-10 quid boxes of chocolates.

oh, the stores i've been in have all been tiny...with gorgeous chocolates and toffees (and ice cream), never saw cards on sale there though!

MM, xx

Bahtatboy Jun 28th 2011 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 9462440)
oh, the stores i've been in have all been tiny...with gorgeous chocolates and toffees (and ice cream), never saw cards on sale there though!

MM, xx

Ah. Only ever been into the one in Ilkley--maybe its a joint franchise with a card shop, thought they were all the same. Don't know if that one's closing, but its quite a big shop and the rent's got to be substantial.

Mogs Jun 28th 2011 1:48 pm

Thorntons on Tuesday confirmed it would close a minimum of 120 stores over the next three years “taking advantage of [its] lease expiry profile” after a strategic review of the struggling business concluded it could only sustain a reduced portfolio of between 180 and 200 stores

from FT.com

Blue Cat Jun 28th 2011 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by jackthehat (Post 9462417)

:eek: surely not!

kittycat1 Jun 29th 2011 11:44 am

Can't stand Thorntons- YUCK!- awful chocolate ( not a phrase I use very often either).

jackthehat Jun 30th 2011 12:43 pm

What's in a name?

The Mitsubishi Pajero had to be renamed, for its entry into Europe (Mitsubishi Shogun) As 'Pajero' means something rather offensive in Spanish!

Apparently the same applied the the Rolls Royce Silver Mist! - The Germans didn't like that one!

KKK is a chain of Coffee Shops in The Philippines. Apart from the name, they appear to be doing quite well!

The Vauxhall Nova was renamed as an (Opel) Corsa, as in Spanish 'Nova' means 'Broken!'

Hyundai did not make many inroads into the Russian Market with their Taracan Model. 'Tarakan' in Russian means Cockroach!

OleJanx Jun 30th 2011 12:47 pm

In France, the Toyota MR2 was merely the MR. The "Toyota Sh*t" apparently didn't seem to have much sales impact as a name.