British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   The Culture Of No (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/culture-no-615454/)

Autonomy Jun 18th 2009 7:06 am

The Culture Of No

I swear I am going kill. It's not my fault, it can't be stopped - I am Michael Douglas in 'Falling Down"...

Why?

Because of The Culture Of No in this stupid country. Every single simple request to banks especially, but elsewhere too - is met with "that's impossible" or 'i can't do that" - you know what YES YOU F*ING CAN DO IT if you chose to help the customer paying your WAGES.

F*ing robot morons.

The reason is everyone this is the case is that the employees are treated like shit so why care about doing an ok job never mind going the extra yard or mile to help and keep the customer happy. You'll not get commended, you'll not get a pay rise and you will never ever be a manager and you'll end up one day back in your own country - so why care?

The phrase keeps being used - if you don't like it, then leave. You know what - I don't f*ing like it...

Eugene, never mind careful with that axe, just gimme the thing and stand back....

shiva Jun 18th 2009 7:16 am

Re: The Culture Of No

What he said

littlejimmy Jun 18th 2009 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 7675670)
I swear I am going kill. It's not my fault, it can't be stopped - I am Michael Douglas in 'Falling Down"...

Why?

Because of The Culture Of No in this stupid country. Every single simple request to banks especially, but elsewhere too - is met with "that's impossible" or 'i can't do that" - you know what YES YOU F*ING CAN DO IT if you chose to help the customer paying your WAGES.

F*ing robot morons.

The reason is everyone this is the case is that the employees are treated like shit so why care about doing an ok job never mind going the extra yard or mile to help and keep the customer happy. You'll not get commended, you'll not get a pay rise and you will never ever be a manager and you'll end up one day back in your own country - so why care?

The phrase keeps being used - if you don't like it, then leave. You know what - I don't f*ing like it...

Eugene, never mind careful with that axe, just gimme the thing and stand back....

Cripes. It must be bad if you're getting stressed.

I find some people in certain industries here are just unable to work outside firmly-set parameters. There is no flexibility. Ask them to step outside them - even just a smidge - and you can see DOES NOT COMPUTE come up on their faces. They are not allowed to think for themselves and are afraid to do so.

954RR Jun 18th 2009 7:21 am

I have just been setting up an account and trying to organise a cheque book so I know what you are going through.
OK there are certain procedures that need to be followed but would it not be better if they told the people working there about these so I am not led up the garden path with promises that cannot be kept. :mad:

seven seas Jun 18th 2009 7:22 am

computer says no

shiva Jun 18th 2009 7:24 am

Originally Posted by 954RR (Post 7675707)
I have just been setting up an account and trying to organise a cheque book so I know what you are going through.
OK there are certain procedures that need to be followed but would it not be better if they told the people working there about these so I am not led up the garden path with promises that cannot be kept. :mad:

good luck with the cheque book. i've been waiting 3 months for a new one now. Ironic because when i first opened the account they gave me 6, now they seem unable to give me even one....maybe 6 was my lifetime allowance

seraphnina Jun 18th 2009 7:25 am

Originally Posted by 954RR (Post 7675707)

NO!

:D

Autonomy Jun 18th 2009 7:38 am

Originally Posted by seraphnina (Post 7675716)
NO!

:D

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Battle/axe.gif

954RR Jun 18th 2009 7:39 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 7675715)
good luck with the cheque book. i've been waiting 3 months for a new one now.

This is my first. The email come to say it is there I have phoned and confirmed it is there.
Do expect it to be there when I get there? NO :eek:

seraphnina Jun 18th 2009 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 7675728)

:scaredhair:

Robbies Jun 18th 2009 8:24 am

I have started saying no back to the places that are of no help to me.

Example... filled in the premier banking forms with Barclays, I got my new card & cheque book... wife did not. Phoned to find out what was the problem, and they could not locate her forms (aka they lost them). they then asked me to fill them in again.

Response?

"No!"

Each of the forms were asking for details they already had from when we set up our initial account and mortgage. They have them all on file, so they can just amend the details - its a joint account FFS!

Anyhoo, my standard response to Barclays now is no.

Frustrating as it is, I've had to learn that this negative attitude is rife, and you just have to accept it and get on, otherwise it will drive you up the wall.

commander Jun 18th 2009 9:06 am

yup, posted my visa copy recorded delivery to HSBC as the origonal visa when i opened the account had expired (over 3 years ago)

I called to check up on the progress

'i wish to know how this is progressing, i sent in my letter'

'we have not recieved this letter from you'

'well it has a copy of my visa so ****ing find it'

'sir, please send in another copy, or go to a branch and hand it in'

'NO'

'im sorry sir?'

'NO'

'Sir?'

'i will call you back in 3 days, by that time you will find my letter with very personal detail and sort out this issue'

'ok sir'

'any information you want from me?'

'no sir'

'not even the address i sent it to and the AWB?'

'sir?'

'oh **** off you retarded buffoon,' (ps i didnt say that, but i meant it)

'so sir, you will send a new copy?'

'no'

Click....

IndieG Jun 18th 2009 10:05 am

Why?

F*ing robot morons.

I feel for you, I really do! Know exactly what you go through dealing with the morons in banks - the problem is they employ the most stupid people and then only the really really stupid get promoted (so the creme de la creme of the stupid becomes the CEO...lol) so no point saying "let me speak to your manager" here;

....yeah, and anyone caught doing their job well, well they get kicked out - no kidding.

moto111 Jun 18th 2009 11:54 am

my frustrations are:

1. do you have this in a size 8?? Shop assistant "NO" this is always the standard response no matter what shop you go in and they don't even look.....
2. do you have this in shoe size 3.5 - Shop assistant goes to look, comes back "we don't have size 3.5, but we do have size 5 in a different style why don't you try them on"......

:rofl::rofl:

moto111 Jun 18th 2009 11:59 am

oooh and also I had the same thing as Commander with HSBC, except for the fact that I did take a copy into the branch, they had put a hold on my account as they wanted a copy of my renewal visa.

so in I trot handed it to them, I then rang them 3 days later to find out why the hold was still on my account, they had lost the f***ing copy I had taken in - it took them 3 weeks to get this sorted out:frown:

Meow Jun 18th 2009 12:10 pm

The general incompetance is breathtaking. I am also happy to cover some of these stories if anyone wants to see their bank criticised in the press.

-

Euc- Jun 18th 2009 12:11 pm

Or one of my favourites: I'm sorry sir, it's the policy.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHh

Euc- Jun 18th 2009 12:15 pm

Btw, anyone of you ever been to Zuma?

Its a restaurant and they have one very different thing: western staff!

Best dining experience I've had in the UAE, I kid you not. People actually capable of a normal conversation, explaining what you are eating in normal English and thinking outside of the bloody box.

lionheart Jun 18th 2009 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Euc- (Post 7676485)
Btw, anyone of you ever been to Zuma?

Its a restaurant and they have one very different thing: western staff!

Best dining experience I've had in the UAE, I kid you not. People actually capable of a normal conversation, explaining what you are eating in normal English and thinking outside of the bloody box.

Never heard of it. Where is Zuma and what sort of food do they serve? Having said all the bad things about the quality of service here, we tried the recently opened India Palace for a Saturday lunchtime buffet within the Trade Routes complex at DFC. The service was excellent. The restaurant manager gave Jasmine a nice toy for eating all her food, which was free incidentally...the food and the toy. If you love a nice curry, give it a go some time...but it does get busy.

Meow Jun 18th 2009 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7676523)
Never heard of it. Where is Zuma and what sort of food do they serve? Having said all the bad things about the quality of service here, we tried the recently opened India Palace for a Saturday lunchtime buffet within the Trade Routes complex at DFC. The service was excellent. The restaurant manager gave Jasmine a nice toy for eating all her food, which was free incidentally...the food and the toy. If you love a nice curry, give it a go some time...but it does get busy.

Don't worry about it Lionheart. It is expensive. ;)

-

lionheart Jun 18th 2009 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 7676644)

-

Having western staff made that seem very likely. Not for me, thanks...

Madam Medusa Jun 18th 2009 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 7676644)

-

they are doing an excellent business lunch for 110 dhs at the mo though...

MM, xx

DaWarrior Jun 19th 2009 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Euc- (Post 7676464)
Or one of my favourites: I'm sorry sir, it's the policy.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHh

A bunch of sticklers aren't they?

commander Jun 19th 2009 10:40 am

Gosh 20quid for a business lunch....cheap as chips...

Madam Medusa Jun 19th 2009 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7679924)

err...you clearly never do, and have never done, business lunches, or you'd know your comment makes you look like a total pratt...

MM, xx

Euc- Jun 19th 2009 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7679924)

LOL

Dude.. 20quid/euro whatever aint expensive for a business lunch. It's rather cheap even!

littlejimmy Jun 19th 2009 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 7680209)
err...you clearly never do, and have never done, business lunches, or you'd know your comment makes you look like a total pratt...

MM, xx

I doubt he's bothered, to be fair.

commander Jun 19th 2009 2:54 pm

No that's correct, I've never had a business lunch...

Staggering truly...

littlejimmy Jun 19th 2009 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7680562)
No that's correct, I've never had a business lunch...

Staggering truly...

How can you live with yourself?

Confucius Jun 19th 2009 4:28 pm

Serenity now...

Confucius Jun 19th 2009 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 7680209)

MM, xx

I want to have your babies...

Autonomy Jun 19th 2009 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 7680824)

For a split second - I thought you were talking to me....

Confucius Jun 19th 2009 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 7681303)
For a split second - I thought you were talking to me....

I would be the luckiest person if you were that inclined...

dollface Jun 19th 2009 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 7680824)

:lol: you're an evil man! but I :wub: you.............

commander Jun 20th 2009 7:10 am

What a ****ing space cadet...

954RR Jun 21st 2009 9:35 am

Originally Posted by 954RR (Post 7675731)
This is my first cheque book. The email came to say it is there I have phoned and confirmed it is there.
Do expect it to be there when I get there? NO

Well I have to eat my words. I turned up asked for my cheque book and good as gold they reached into a drawer and there it was.
Do not worry though I expect it to all go pear shaped soon as I requested internet access, which they told me would be set up in 10 days!

Let's see shall we. :fingerscrossed: