British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   The crimes that women commit against each other (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/crimes-women-commit-against-each-other-725288/)

The Dean Jul 18th 2011 3:07 am

The crimes that women commit against each other

I'm not normally a fan of Yasmin Alibhai-Brown (I find she usually lectures me, rather than persuades me) but this is as moving a piece as I've ever read from her.

Be warned: this will make your blood boil..........

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion...r-2315448.html

kittycat1 Jul 18th 2011 4:46 am

Re: The crimes that women commit against each other

Interesting aritcle and lovely to read something so light at 9am in the morning :blink:

kittycat1 Jul 18th 2011 5:07 am

I would argue that most women who are abusive to other women have suffered some extreme themselves, we sometimes become the monster we are the most scared of, when put into situations you have no control over. A woman involved in human trafficing may well have been prostituted herself or to avoid it has become involved in recruiting other women to save herself. When you have a gun held to your head it is a rare person that would take the moral highground. To prostituite your own child is a hard concept to get yoru head around but again desperation makes you hard and if this is something these women have grown up seeing it may not seem as unacceptable to them as it is to someone from a western society. Again education and support is the answer.

In regards to female mutilation, the women that have had this done to themselves to then go on and force it on younger generations is very sad but also shows the level of education and the level of concilling they need to break the circle. I am sure once you have had this done to yourself there is a true sense of low self worth, self hatred and hatred of other women, without concilling and support to help your through this i think it is quite obvious that these women would be damaged mentally.

Most people whether male or female that abuse others are reacting to something they have gone through themselves. Evil no, not really- just sad and a sign that life can be cruel and hard for many and just how hard it is for people to recover from their own abuse of any sort.

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 18th 2011 5:44 am

KC I agree with some of what you said but not other bits - perhaps I've taken your last sentence the wrong way but I don't see anything in your history as an excuse to kill / maim / torture.

It doesn't surprise me that women can be completely sick, twisted and evil. We are forever being told that men/women are equal yet this shit still surprises the masses?

kittycat1 Jul 18th 2011 6:58 am

Scamp I am not saying it is an excuse at all, however you can sometimes understand why people do the things they do, obviously I am not saying it is right, however some times we have little control over teh influences around ourselves and how they effect us, if we did there would be no need for councillors etc, when you think people become traumatised by relavently small things so if you have had major traumas in yoru life of course they will effect you sometimes in extreme ways. I believe in the nurture over nature way of thinking, we become a product of our enviroment and experiences. How often do you hear of serial killers that have been abused as kids etc. Sick and twisted yes, but evil is a very different word, few people are inherently evil.

I do think women generally have a different coping machanhism to men, you find more women self harming compared to men so women are more prone to become more reclusive and submissive from abuse where as men become more agressive. That is why cases of women being actively abusive towards other women is surprising.

The Dean Jul 18th 2011 7:35 am

So......... it's never anything to do with their religion, then? :sneaky:

scrubbedexpat141 Jul 18th 2011 7:40 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9501868)
Scamp I am not saying it is an excuse at all, however you can sometimes understand why people do the things they do, obviously I am not saying it is right, however some times we have little control over teh influences around ourselves and how they effect us, if we did there would be no need for councillors etc, when you think people become traumatised by relavently small things so if you have had major traumas in yoru life of course they will effect you sometimes in extreme ways. I believe in the nurture over nature way of thinking, we become a product of our enviroment and experiences. How often do you hear of serial killers that have been abused as kids etc. Sick and twisted yes, but evil is a very different word, few people are inherently evil.

I do think women generally have a different coping machanhism to men, you find more women self harming compared to men so women are more prone to become more reclusive and submissive from abuse where as men become more agressive. That is why cases of women being actively abusive towards other women is surprising.

That's what I thought you meant, which I completely agree with. The product of our environment bit I definitely agree on that one.

The mechanisms of dealing with things must inherently be different for men and women, but I think the results can sometimes be all too similar. That being said, we are more likely to be shocked at a woman torturing and killing a man than the opposite.