British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Cricket (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/cricket-552988/)

Karlos The Jackal Aug 3rd 2008 1:43 pm

Cricket

Official - Michael Vaughan has resigned as England captain with immediate effect !

Theres nobody prouder than me to be a Yorkshireman but he should have gone last year IMO !

From bloody South Yorkshire anyway !!! :mad:

The Dean Aug 3rd 2008 2:40 pm

Re: Cricket

Originally Posted by Karlos The Jackal (Post 6641447)
Official - Michael Vaughan has resigned as England captain with immediate effect !

Theres nobody prouder than me to be a Yorkshireman but he should have gone last year IMO !

From bloody South Yorkshire anyway !!! :mad:

.... but who will replace him?

Obvious long-term choice is Alastair Cook but prob not ready yet.......

Collingwood?

Shadya Aug 3rd 2008 3:27 pm

No, Collingwood is also stepping down. Back to Freddie?

Foxes Aug 3rd 2008 3:44 pm

got to be pietersen - is the only world class player we have...

Brandytime Aug 4th 2008 12:07 pm

If England want to simultaneously ruin their best player, and their chances of ever being a successful team again (ie ashes 2005), then Kevin Pietersen would be the perfect choice. He has all the trademarks of a great captain, selflessness, grace, team before individual, modesty and man management to name but a few.

If they opt against pressing self destruct, the only choice must be Andrew Strauss.

Had he captained the Ashes series down under it wouldn't have been the demolition job it turned out to be.

Foxes Aug 4th 2008 12:50 pm

history says you are right - the captaincy has done more harm than good to an most of Pietersens predecessor's but if anything, he has excelled so far in bucking trends...

lets hope he becomes a successful captain as well as continually scoring a bucket loads of runs... i think he will step up to the plate well !

never been convinced that strauss is captaincy material and in the last 2/3 years has been very fortunate to keep his place in the team

arbroath_abroad Aug 4th 2008 1:28 pm

cricket.....................and.....sleep:zzz::zzz ::D

Foxes Aug 4th 2008 2:12 pm

lol... from someone who appears to be a cycling fan ??!!

;)

arbroath_abroad Aug 6th 2008 4:41 am

Originally Posted by Foxes (Post 6644394)
lol... from someone who appears to be a cycling fan ??!!

;)

now 6 hours in the saddle IS exciting:D

The Dean Aug 7th 2008 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Brandytime (Post 6644141)
If England want to simultaneously ruin their best player, and their chances of ever being a successful team again (ie ashes 2005), then Kevin Pietersen would be the perfect choice. He has all the trademarks of a great captain, selflessness, grace, team before individual, modesty and man management to name but a few.

If they opt against pressing self destruct, the only choice must be Andrew Strauss.

Had he captained the Ashes series down under it wouldn't have been the demolition job it turned out to be.

The Mike Brearley example is one I always refer to...........

Never a Test class opening batsman, he was one of the few to be picked for his captaincy skills rather than on playing merit. He was probably the most successful ever in that category (Ray Illingworth was another of that ilk, but he had better players under him than Brearley ever did).

Brearley's book 'The Art Of Captaincy' has become a man-management-manual of choice - worth reading even if you have no interest in cricket.