British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   "The Creepiest And Weirdest Sales Assistants In Dubai Award" (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/creepiest-weirdest-sales-assistants-dubai-award-705486/)

The Dean Feb 15th 2011 8:40 am

"The Creepiest And Weirdest Sales Assistants In Dubai Award"

And the jury has voted unanimously for..............

Everyone who works in American Eagle at MotE............ :ohmy:

The most 'normal' one was The Effeminate Nailbiter............ The Fat Giggler and The Crooked-Toothed Lisper made me feel very uncomfortable.

They've actually got some good stuff in there (and the prices are OK, at least while the DSF is still on), but you should only go in there if all your innoculations are up-to-date............... :scaredhair:

Spugsy Feb 15th 2011 9:16 am

Re: "The Creepiest And Weirdest Sales Assistants In Dubai Award"

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9177381)

The most 'normal' one was The Effeminate Nailbiter............ The Fat Giggler and The Crooked-Toothed Lisper made me feel very uncomfortable.

They've actually got some good stuff in there (and the prices are OK, at least while the DSF is still on), but you should only go in there if all your innoculations are up-to-date............... :scaredhair:

I know the manager, she's an English lass.

Clothes are canny actually, and pretty cheap.

Millhouse Feb 15th 2011 9:47 am

I always like the sales assistant that stands that little bit too close, follows you around the store and is singing a couple of verses from the Quran to himself. That isn't uncomfortable at all.

kittycat1 Feb 15th 2011 10:10 am

:rofl: @ millhouse

Alexa Feb 15th 2011 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 9177486)
I always like the sales assistant that stands that little bit too close, follows you around the store and is singing a couple of verses from the Quran to himself. That isn't uncomfortable at all.

There is a good way to make them stop. I learned that in China. Let them walk closely behind you for a while...the make a few fast steps...and stop. They will bump into you, and you then turn around and say "Can I help you"? They will avoid you after that.
My experience.

flares Feb 15th 2011 3:40 pm

Sales assistants in Tokyo bark some high pitch squeal Jap phrase at you when you enter. Bit mad really.

Bahtatboy Feb 16th 2011 8:39 am

Originally Posted by saudiflares (Post 9178141)
Sales assistants in Tokyo bark some high pitch squeal Jap phrase at you when you enter. Bit mad really.

Irashaimase! It only means "welcome".

The Dean Feb 20th 2011 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9179881)
Irashaimase! It only means "welcome".

What's the Japanese for "Leave me alone! I want to browse in peace! I'm British and we prefer it that way."?

Bahtatboy Feb 20th 2011 11:23 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9189186)
What's the Japanese for "Leave me alone! I want to browse in peace! I'm British and we prefer it that way."?

Mitteiru dake, arigatou (literally "just looking, thanks"). They'll get the message.
Pronunciation: Mit te roo dack ey, ari gateaux

Ethos83 Feb 20th 2011 11:26 am

You are aware that American Eagle and its Abercrombie & Fitch "upscale" counterpart are considered tacky, overpriced clothes in the US, largely favoured by lower middle class suburbanites who live in tract housing estates?

By the way, I find that completely ignoring the sales assistants work. Don't register their presence, look straight through them, don't respond when they speak.

I always do this at the beginning. If I want help later on I point my finger at the nearest Pinoy or Lebos and say 'You there. Come here. I want this in X size, you have it, yes or no?'

I find that destablising them first and making them nervous later is far more effective than being polite and friendly.

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9177381)

Millhouse Feb 20th 2011 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 9189219)
By the way, I find that completely ignoring the sales assistants work. Don't register their presence, look straight through them, don't respond when they speak.

I always do this at the beginning. If I want help later on I point my finger at the nearest Pinoy or Lebos and say 'You there. Come here. I want this in X size, you have it, yes or no?'

I find that destablising them first and making them nervous later is far more effective than being polite and friendly.

I speak for the majority with this comment - You asshole.

Spugsy Feb 20th 2011 12:46 pm

You are aware that American Eagle and its Abercrombie & Fitch "upscale" counterpart are considered tacky, overpriced clothes in the US, largely favoured by lower middle class suburbanites who live in tract housing estates?

Ah well, they do good shorts.

kittycat1 Feb 20th 2011 1:53 pm

Bahtatboy- can you teach us more japanese please? arigatou:D

Bahtatboy Feb 20th 2011 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9189365)
Bahtatboy- can you teach us more japanese please? arigatou:D

Don't touch my moustache

flares Feb 21st 2011 3:21 am

Not only in the US...

Also Superdry...I do like some of their stuff but don't like looking like a high street sheep