British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Crate and Barrel (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/crate-barrel-701923/)

The Dean Jan 23rd 2011 6:24 am

Crate and Barrel

Are they any good? I confess that, as a newly-returned Dubai resident, I'm not familiar with them (I'm sure they weren't here four years ago :confused: ).

I've just been offered a Crate and Barrel voucher (AED 5,000) as a 'sweetener' in another transaction - is it worth having?

Thanks.

Ethos83 Jan 23rd 2011 6:55 am

Re: Crate and Barrel

Hell yes.

Just go to the store at MoE (upstairs from Carrefour). It's reasonably well designed, slightly modernist and fairly good quality American furniture. The store also sells housewares.

Crate & Barrel and Pottery Barn give you an excellent insight into the tastes and pretentions of the American upper middle class. Sometimes they can be a bit twee in the US given their popularity.

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9121955)
Are they any good? I confess that, as a newly-returned Dubai resident, I'm not familiar with them (I'm sure they weren't here four years ago :confused: ).

I've just been offered a Crate and Barrel voucher (AED 5,000) as a 'sweetener' in another transaction - is it worth having?

Thanks.

Meow Jan 23rd 2011 7:01 am

They have some lovely furniture and homewares (if you avoid the twee things Ethos mentions) but it isn't cheap. As usual a huge increase on prices in the US too.

I have my eye on an oversized C&B sofa. If you don't want your voucher dean it's my birthday next month! :D

Blue Cat Jan 23rd 2011 7:25 am

Thanks.

take their hand off!! one of my favourite shops :thumbup:

The Dean Jan 23rd 2011 6:15 pm

Thanks guys.............. browsed around C&B this evening............

Expensive or what??? :ohmy:

Who'll give me AED 4,500 cash for my 5,000 voucher?

Bob Jan 23rd 2011 9:55 pm

Hit and miss.

Massively over priced...but a lot of the furniture is pretty good quality for to much money and some of it not so great quality.

They do have good end of season clearances and outlet stores though, over here at least.

Good for kitchen stuff!

Kids stuff is well over priced and not all the special.

It's basically the same as Pottery Barn.

Ethos83 Jan 24th 2011 3:52 am

The prices are about 20% more than what you would pay at C&B stores in the US.

But even then by Dubai standards it's pretty good, when you compare the prices to the quality on offer.

Take a walk through the other furniture stores at MoE. BoConcept, La Maison Colonale, Marina etc. Their furnitures are not as nice and are much, much more expensive. 15,000 AED for a shit sofa covered with cheap fabric, 10,000 AED for a sofa that's identical to one at Ikea for 2,500 AED. I have no idea how these stores get away with the prices they charge.

On the other end of the scale you have Pan Emirates and Home Centre, but the furniture looks crappy and is built out of cheap materials.

If I were going to be in DXB for another five years I would probably buy the C&B furniture. But if it's only a two-three year posting the best buys are slightly used Ikea furniture being flogged on Dubizzle by departing expats.

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9123094)
Thanks guys.............. browsed around C&B this evening............

Expensive or what??? :ohmy:

Who'll give me AED 4,500 cash for my 5,000 voucher?

The Dean Jan 24th 2011 4:28 am

Yea.... fair enough. I think I'd use the place for small-ticket items (which look good value and good quality) rather than bigger stuff like beds.

Anyway, the voucher is a special offer if I take a particular apartment which is not certain yet, but if I go ahead, my offer stands - I'll meet one of you at C&B, I'll buy you AED 5,000-worth of stuff, and you give me 4,500 in cash.........

Blue Cat Jan 24th 2011 5:14 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9124115)
Yea.... fair enough. I think I'd use the place for small-ticket items (which look good value and good quality) rather than bigger stuff like beds.

Anyway, the voucher is a special offer if I take a particular apartment which is not certain yet, but if I go ahead, my offer stands - I'll meet one of you at C&B, I'll buy you AED 5,000-worth of stuff, and you give me 4,500 in cash.........

I will help you shop, for a fee ....

The Dean Jan 24th 2011 5:43 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9124168)
I will help you shop, for a fee ....

If C&B are as good as you say, you'll accept my offer...............

Blue Cat Jan 24th 2011 5:52 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9124203)
If C&B are as good as you say, you'll accept my offer...............

no I won't as I don't have 4500 dhs :)

lionheart Jan 24th 2011 7:55 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9124115)
I'll meet one of you at C&B, I'll buy you AED 5,000-worth of stuff, and you give me 4,500 in cash.........

That's hardly tempting. Only 10% off is miserly, especially as the voucher may not be redeemable for goods in their DFS sale. You will have to do much better, Deano.

The Dean Jan 24th 2011 10:06 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9124350)
That's hardly tempting. Only 10% off is miserly, especially as the voucher may not be redeemable for goods in their DFS sale. You will have to do much better, Deano.

Doesn't matter if the voucher is accepted during the DSF or not (no word on any restriction but I can check) - it's an unbeatable offer if you want to buy something at C&B.

Put it another way - you can bet 4500 on a horse at 9/1 ON (i.e. 1/9). On checking you discover that it is a ONE-horse race. Guaranteed profit of 500, plus your stake of 4500 is returned to you - you'd think the bookmaker had taken leave of his senses....... I'm offering the same. "Do much better"? On yer bike........

Spugsy Jan 24th 2011 10:55 am

Thanks.

kitchen stuff is fantastic, although its one of the brands my missus works on so I get 30% discount.

Blue Cat Jan 24th 2011 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9124587)
kitchen stuff is fantastic, although its one of the brands my missus works on so I get 30% discount.

:thumbup: