Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Crackdown on UK tax dodgers launched

Wikiposts

Crackdown on UK tax dodgers launched

Old Sep 25th 2010, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Crackdown on UK tax dodgers launched

Hundreds of wealthy taxpayers have been sent letters by HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) over possible large-scale tax evasion.

It is understood that most of the letters relate to offshore bank accounts held at HSBC in Switzerland after HMRC acquired a list of well-off individuals with accounts at the bank.

The letters sent out are known as Code of Practice 9 and advise the recipients that HMRC will investigate any situation of suspected serious tax fraud.

An HMRC spokesman said: "The days of hiding money offshore to evade tax are now over."

The news comes after the coalition Government announced a crackdown on tax avoidance.

Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg warned that the coalition would come down "as hard on tax cheats as on benefit cheats". Tax evasion is estimated to cost the Treasury £7 billion each year in uncollected revenues, and avoidance the same again.

http://itn.co.uk/acc02efe9597331d2974d39e81d12fc6.html
Old Dec 17th 2010, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

mamijaka is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Crackdown on UK tax dodgers launched

Hi, I am new to this forum. just secured a teaching position in Al Ain for Jan 2011. so getting ready to move in a few weeks now. I was wondering if still have to pay UK tax whilst there. I still have a UK mortgage to fund. One of the lesser reasons to move there is make some extra cash as things had got really tight here in London. Do I need to fill out any forms to exempt myself before the tax office comes chasing? any help will be most appreciated. thanks
Originally Posted by coffindodger
Hundreds of wealthy taxpayers have been sent letters by HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) over possible large-scale tax evasion.

It is understood that most of the letters relate to offshore bank accounts held at HSBC in Switzerland after HMRC acquired a list of well-off individuals with accounts at the bank.

The letters sent out are known as Code of Practice 9 and advise the recipients that HMRC will investigate any situation of suspected serious tax fraud.

An HMRC spokesman said: "The days of hiding money offshore to evade tax are now over."

The news comes after the coalition Government announced a crackdown on tax avoidance.

Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg warned that the coalition would come down "as hard on tax cheats as on benefit cheats". Tax evasion is estimated to cost the Treasury £7 billion each year in uncollected revenues, and avoidance the same again.

http://itn.co.uk/acc02efe9597331d2974d39e81d12fc6.html
Old Dec 18th 2010, 11:14 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mamijaka
Hi, I am new to this forum. just secured a teaching position in Al Ain for Jan 2011. so getting ready to move in a few weeks now. I was wondering if still have to pay UK tax whilst there. I still have a UK mortgage to fund. One of the lesser reasons to move there is make some extra cash as things had got really tight here in London. Do I need to fill out any forms to exempt myself before the tax office comes chasing? any help will be most appreciated. thanks
Maybe. To save (me) time, just have a look at this link & get back to me if you have any questions.

http://financialuae.wordpress.com/20...ritish-expats/

Old Dec 19th 2010, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Meow
Maybe. To save (me) time, just have a look at this link & get back to me if you have any questions.

Rather surprisingly today I received a cheque from UK tax authorities for around 350 pounds saying my tax allowance was wrong and they owed me this amount! I havent paid tax since 1977 but always make a return.

Merry Christmas!
Old Dec 19th 2010, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

mamijaka is an unknown quantity at this point

big thanks. useful info.
Originally Posted by Meow