Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Court backs decision to bar Christian foster couple

Court backs decision to bar Christian foster couple

Old Mar 2nd 2011, 5:12 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Court backs decision to bar Christian foster couple

Don't you love the way that people who declare themselves as Christians seem to demonstrate such unChristian behaviour? (Same applies to any other religion too).

Such hypocrisy.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 5:14 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
There's a huge waiting list for black children looking for foster care and adoptive families.
[...]
There are a lot of children who need care and if this couple can prove they are a loving carers why prevent them from taking on foster children over one particular view and a view that isn't necessarily restricted to a handful of people?
Black people can be gay too...

And that is exactly my point, they proved that they weren't accepting enough to be loving carers in all circumstances. It wasn't just their views - it was that they would allow their views to influence the way they treated a child, quite possibly to the long-term harm of that child.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 5:51 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Homosexuality is a complex situation - for quite a few people it's possible to be loving of a person and still disapprove of their homosexuality. Just talk to a lot of parents of gay people.

Originally Posted by typical
Black people can be gay too...

And that is exactly my point, they proved that they weren't accepting enough to be loving carers in all circumstances. It wasn't just their views - it was that they would allow their views to influence the way they treated a child, quite possibly to the long-term harm of that child.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 5:58 am
Account Closed

Don't be such a smug atheist. Homosexuality has been an extroardinarily complex issue for most Christian and Jewish denominations so let's cut them some cake while they try to resolve it.

Do we know all the particulars of this case? If the couple said in their interview that they strongly disapproved of homosexuality and if received a homosexual ward they would do everything they could to "convert" the child and would treat him differently than a normal child, that's one problem. But if they merely said that they generally don't disapprove of homosexuality but that it would have no impact on how they would treat the child, it's something else entirely.

We might as well have a checklist. Do believe in global warming? No? Sorry, can't foster a child. Do you vote Labour? No? Sorry, can't foster a child? Do you recycle? No? Sorry, can't foster a child. Let's tick all the boxes and only those with 100% correct "thinking" are accepted. But at the end of the day that eliminates just about all of us.

Originally Posted by Meow
Don't you love the way that people who declare themselves as Christians seem to demonstrate such unChristian behaviour? (Same applies to any other religion too).

Such hypocrisy.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 6:13 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Homosexuality is a complex situation - for quite a few people it's possible to be loving of a person and still disapprove of their homosexuality. Just talk to a lot of parents of gay people.
I am sure they love them, but I do not consider that being loving of them. Sorry.

Do we know all the particulars of this case? If the couple said in their interview that they strongly disapproved of homosexuality and if received a homosexual ward they would do everything they could to "convert" the child and would treat him differently than a normal child, that's one problem. But if they merely said that they generally don't disapprove of homosexuality but that it would have no impact on how they would treat the child, it's something else entirely.
If you read the article... it's somewhere between the two. "They said they could not tell a child a homosexual lifestyle was acceptable". If a gay child, fearful of their feelings, were to come to them to talk about it - they would not be able to show love and support to that child.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 6:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

What would have been the right answer?

"so Millhouse, we have a 9 year old boy here for adoption. He is gay though. Is that a problem?"

"No problem at all. I shall get rid of the spiderman wallpaper and paint the room pink"

"Very good Millhouse. Just sign here and you can take care of Ethos until he sets fire to the shed"

"Perfect, do you need my bank details for the monthly payments?"

I know some people who Fostered and sadly most people see it all about the money which is just totally wrong. That said, Fostering is a tough gig. I'm actually quite keen to adopt (although sadly this is unlikely as we are here), but Fostering, no chance.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 6:40 am
Account Closed

That is the same problem a lot of gay kids face with their own natural parents....

If you read the article... it's somewhere between the two. "They said they could not tell a child a homosexual lifestyle was acceptable". If a gay child, fearful of their feelings, were to come to them to talk about it - they would not be able to show love and support to that child.[/QUOTE]
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 6:44 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Don't be such a smug atheist. Homosexuality has been an extroardinarily complex issue for most Christian and Jewish denominations so let's cut them some cake while they try to resolve it.

We might as well have a checklist. Do believe in global warming? No? Sorry, can't foster a child. Do you vote Labour? No? Sorry, can't foster a child? Do you recycle? No? Sorry, can't foster a child. Let's tick all the boxes and only those with 100% correct "thinking" are accepted. But at the end of the day that eliminates just about all of us.

It's exactly that thinking that has led to masses of children remaining in care, rather than being adopted. But that is a seperate issue. The question here is of the potential fosterers being narrow-minded in their views and so not being ideal as carers for a child who may well be troubled or have issues.

And I'll stick to being a smug atheist thanks. It's better than being a deluded hypocrite.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 7:36 am
Account Closed

I fall into the camp that something is better than nothing. Actually, one of the best ways to persuade someone that homosexuality isn't a moral wrong or choice but body chemistry is simply to have a gay child/relative/close friend.

I'll stick to being a deluded realist.

Originally Posted by Meow
It's exactly that thinking that has led to masses of children remaining in care, rather than being adopted. But that is a seperate issue. The question here is of the potential fosterers being narrow-minded in their views and so not being ideal as carers for a child who may well be troubled or have issues.

And I'll stick to being a smug atheist thanks. It's better than being a deluded hypocrite.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 11:17 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typical
At what age do you know you're straight? And that girls aren't icky?

I have gay friends who say they've known since pre-teens, others who didn't know until near the end of teenage years. The onset of puberty seems to be a good guess for when people become sexually aware.

I have a stronger belief in gay children than Christian children. Not that either get much chance to make a choice.
what do you mean?
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 1:36 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
hmm tricky one, good foster parents are a precious commodity and can offer a place of sanctuary to vunerable kids, it seems a shame that apparently nice people are being turned down on views that may never be discussed with a child in their care, however the fact they obviously bought up their views could be a bit weird- So what faith are you? We're Christian- burn all gays... in which case I could see why they might not be the best idea.

Surely if the children they are fostering are from the same faith it wouldn't be a problem?

It always upsets me, foster and adoptive families have to fill such a strict criteria when all they want to do is offer some love and support to children in need, yet any drug addict, of child abuser or kiddy fiddler can have a child naturally.
Children are of no faith. They are brainwashed into religion by active or passive means by their family and community in most cases....there's a reason we see religions concentrated in areas rather than equally spread throughout the world.

N.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 2:49 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Playing devil's advocate here, but how can atheists be expected to be understanding about religion's bigotry when secular society has only really been around since the 1850s or so, and in the space of 150 years, come to accept homosexuality as a natural part of humanity, yet the Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity, and Islam) have all had thousands of years (six thousand in the case of Judaism) and yet they're nowhere close to accepting reality for what it is as the atheists do?

Maybe that's why they're more than a little smug about the whole thing.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 4:02 am
Account Closed

Actually, it just isn't Abrahmic religions. Almost every culture from little African tribes to established societies have never accepted homosexuality as a social norm. That the West took great steps and only within the last few decades to see homosexuality as biology rather than deviation is to be commended.

Give people a little credit for grappling with what's still a huge change in how homosexuality is viewed and accepted within only, say, twenty - thirty years compared with several thousand years of historical norm.

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
Playing devil's advocate here, but how can atheists be expected to be understanding about religion's bigotry when secular society has only really been around since the 1850s or so, and in the space of 150 years, come to accept homosexuality as a natural part of humanity, yet the Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity, and Islam) have all had thousands of years (six thousand in the case of Judaism) and yet they're nowhere close to accepting reality for what it is as the atheists do?

Maybe that's why they're more than a little smug about the whole thing.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 4:42 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, it just isn't Abrahmic religions. Almost every culture from little African tribes to established societies have never accepted homosexuality as a social norm. That the West took great steps and only within the last few decades to see homosexuality as biology rather than deviation is to be commended.

Give people a little credit for grappling with what's still a huge change in how homosexuality is viewed and accepted within only, say, twenty - thirty years compared with several thousand years of historical norm.
Actually the West has simply come back to it's cultural roots. What we call homosexuality was widely accepted in the Greco-Roman culture and in many cultures around the world (Ancient China, India, Persia and Japan for example)...charges against homosexuality in a pre-Abrahamic religious context tended to be concerns over not making babies or (in the case of males) being a "receiver" rather than a "giver" (which was seen as very unmanly for men in higher positions) rather than caring about which gender you prefer to have sex with.

I don't know enough about African culture, especially since Africa is huge and has some vastly different cultures to be able to agree or disagree with your statement that most do not accept homosexuality as a societal norm. I do know that in places where it is persecuted one can normally find Abrahamic religion closeby.

N.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 6:48 am
Banned

Talking Stick is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to coach football in a very affluent area in the foothills outside of Denver, and I used to recruit black kids out of foster homes. Thats the only place you could find them up there so over the years I knew a lot of foster kids and I always got the impression the foster parents did it for the money. You get 4 foster kids and you don't have to work. I remember my best player ever besides one of my sons was a troubled young black boy, he attacked his foster mom with a baseball bat while she was sleeping one morning and they immediately traded him in for a chinese girl, so I lost him. I really believe we could have won the Carnation Bowl the next year if we had him back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.