British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Coup in Saudi Arabia (?) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/coup-saudi-arabia-600742/)

alfrombarking Mar 30th 2009 10:49 am

Coup in Saudi Arabia (?)

or?

Sh*t almost went down on Friday...there seems to be a news black out on this....apparently our friend Prince Bandar Bush is said to have been involved or did try to engineer something

Looks like The Sudairi 7 will soon be 5 since one is about to bite the dust(allegedly)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._G.W._Bush.jpg

ohh its not military coup but...

Rumours are rife over the position of Prince Bandar bin Sultan, 60, son of the heir to the Saudi throne, who has not been seen in public for weeks. Prince Bandar is better known abroad than almost any other member of the Saudi royal family, not only for his extravagant lifestyle, but because of his daring foreign policy initiatives during 22 years as the Saudi ambassador in Washington, where he played an important role after 9/11 and during two Gulf wars. His absence from public life comes at a sensitive time in Saudi Arabia: his father, Crown Prince Sultan, is gravely ill with cancer, throwing the succession to King Abdullah into question.

One theory in political circles in Riyadh is that Prince Bandar was seeking to oust King Abdullah before Prince Sultan dies, thus placing his father on the throne. Other rumours claim that Prince Bandar is ill, or that he angered King Abdullah by dabbling in Syrian politics without authorisation. The Saudi embassy in London could not be contacted for comment last week, but this weekend political tensions in the kingdom came dramatically to the surface.

On Friday night King Abdullah unexpectedly announced the appointment of one of his half-brothers, Prince Nayef, the 76-year-old interior minister, to the post of second deputy prime minister, which had been left vacant. This was immediately taken as an indication that he would become crown prince when Prince Sultan dies or becomes king. But yesterday Prince Talal, another senior figure, publicly demanded that the king confirm that the appointment did not mean Prince Nayef would automatically become the next crown prince. Such public disagreement among senior Saudi royals is highly unusual.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...m-1656644.html

lionheart Mar 30th 2009 11:23 am

Re: Coup in Saudi Arabia (?)

There is some talk about the Saudi Royal succession on here. Also King Abdullah has just stormed out of an international conference, so maybe the pressure is getting to him .
http://www.gulfnews.com/news/gulf/sa.../10299544.html

alfrombarking Mar 30th 2009 11:33 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7434582)
There is some talk about the Saudi Royal succession on here. Also King Abdullah has just stormed out of an international conference, so maybe the pressure is getting to him .
http://www.gulfnews.com/news/gulf/sa.../10299544.html

Their masters in Beltway and Langley wont allow this...i wonder what options they have in a situation like this

lionheart Mar 30th 2009 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by alfrombarking (Post 7434608)
Their masters in Beltway and Langley wont allow this...i wonder what options they have in a situation like this

In a few years time, I think you will find that the USA will no longer be either Saudi Arabia's master or even partner. So long as over a million Jews reside in New York City and while they continue to control the media networks, USA will always remain a true friend and supporter of Israel...and rightly so. Once the dependence on oil wanes (as it surely will) the USA will become less Arab friendly, leading to Saudi Arabia possibly becoming an even more Islamic fundamentalist state than it already claims to be. After all, Mecca is the spiritual home of Islam, so you cannot blame them. Just my two pennyworth.

AnotherWorld Mar 30th 2009 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7434697)
In a few years time, I think you will find that the USA will no longer be either Saudi Arabia's master or even partner. So long as over a million Jews reside in New York City and while they continue to control the media networks, USA will always remain a true friend and supporter of Israel...and rightly so. Once the dependence on oil wanes (as it surely will) the USA will become less Arab friendly, leading to Saudi Arabia possibly becoming an even more Islamic fundamentalist state than it already claims to be. After all, Mecca is the spiritual home of Islam, so you cannot blame them. Just my two pennyworth.

Awesome. And whoever said religion isnt dangerous? :rofl:

bimcnorth Mar 30th 2009 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7434697)

The importance of USA is in free fall so I doubt that much will change even if oil dries up within say 80 years.
The GCC nuclear agenda is moving forward briskly and the pro-jewish lobby in Washington have no leverage as long as the US is totally dependant not only of imported oil but also of imported money to finance their trillion dollar deficits the coming years.

I expect both India and China to gradually increase their military presence in the region, the fact that France will open a military base in Abu Dhabi in May have been noted as well as the fact that Pentagon is bracing themselves for budget cuts.

The fact that Pakistan already got close military ties with GCC countries like Saudi and UAE also enters the equation of course..would anyone really be surprised if they where told that Pakistani nuclears already are in place given that UAE and Pakistan was that close to become a union just a few decades back.

still.unsure Mar 31st 2009 5:47 am

Originally Posted by bimcnorth (Post 7436261)
The importance of USA is in free fall so I doubt that much will change even if oil dries up within say 80 years.
The GCC nuclear agenda is moving forward briskly and the pro-jewish lobby in Washington have no leverage as long as the US is totally dependant not only of imported oil but also of imported money to finance their trillion dollar deficits the coming years.

I expect both India and China to gradually increase their military presence in the region, the fact that France will open a military base in Abu Dhabi in May have been noted as well as the fact that Pentagon is bracing themselves for budget cuts.

The fact that Pakistan already got close military ties with GCC countries like Saudi and UAE also enters the equation of course..would anyone really be surprised if they where told that Pakistani nuclears already are in place given that UAE and Pakistan was that close to become a union just a few decades back.

the thought of pakistan influencing much in the way of foreign policy (other than "we've got to try and sort their mess out") is a bit dubious at the moment. they're going to have a helluva lot of fun over the next 10 years trying to figure themselves out.

india and china would certainly play a big part in the gcc (swap goods for resources) especially with the magic kingdoms mineral (not oil) wealth coming online in the last decade.

btw, has anyone heard that one about the deep-water port in pakistan and the chinese link? that is, the chinese are building the port and an overland link from china to save sending goods via boat through south asia? hadn't heard of it until the other day and not sure if it's a conspiracy theory/wishful thinking.

Shehryar Mar 31st 2009 8:04 am

Originally Posted by still.unsure (Post 7437346)
btw, has anyone heard that one about the deep-water port in pakistan and the chinese link? that is, the chinese are building the port

Both true, the port has been built (at Gawadar...itself bought by Pak from Oman in 1958!) and the Chinese are heavily involved in developing the infra. From what I have heard, its the only other deep-water port in the region apart from Jebel Ali.

shiva Mar 31st 2009 8:18 am

that deep water port should prove handy for the US Naval fleet once they decide to invade and I'm only slightly joking.

Iraq, no nukes few al qaeda, coming out of failed stae status
afghanistan, no nukes middling amount of al qaeda, failed state
Pakistan, nukes and a solid base for al qaeda, most of the madrasas that the west hates and a soon to be failed state......its a matter of when we invade not if imho

still.unsure Mar 31st 2009 8:29 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 7437620)
that deep water port should prove handy for the US Naval fleet once they decide to invade and I'm only slightly joking.

Pakistan, nukes and a solid base for al qaeda, most of the madrasas that the west hates and a soon to be failed state......its a matter of when we invade not if imho

sad but sounds plausible...

so if china has invested so much in pakistan, what are they doing about the north west frontier? i'm guessing their land link must pass through swat or it not, bl--dy close. i can't imagine the chinese being terribly amused about putting in the new port only to have the yanks use it as a jumping off point... into a country right on their border

Inselaffen Mar 31st 2009 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Shehryar (Post 7437587)
Both true, the port has been built (at Gawadar...itself bought by Pak from Oman in 1958!) and the Chinese are heavily involved in developing the infra. From what I have heard, its the only other deep-water port in the region apart from Jebel Ali.

there are plenty of Deep Water ports in the region

Muscat (Port Sultan Qaboos)
Sohar
Salalah
Port Khalifa (new port for Abu Dhabi due open 2010)

still.unsure Mar 31st 2009 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 7437677)
there are plenty of Deep Water ports in the region

Muscat (Port Sultan Qaboos)
Sohar
Salalah
Port Khalifa (new port for Abu Dhabi due open 2010)

my understanding was that the new one in pakistan would allow chinese goods to go across land from the factories in china to pakistan, then straight onto a boat to europe via the suez, thereby avoiding going through south asia and around india. (the assumption being a helluva lot of infrastructure (rail probably) going across china, through the himalayas and then the length of pakistan :blink: )

Shehryar Mar 31st 2009 8:58 am

Originally Posted by still.unsure (Post 7437720)
my understanding was that the new one in pakistan would allow chinese goods to go across land from the factories in china to pakistan, then straight onto a boat to europe via the suez, thereby avoiding going through south asia and around india. (the assumption being a helluva lot of infrastructure (rail probably) going across china, through the himalayas and then the length of pakistan :blink: )

I don't think any of that infra exists at the moment though. The Chinese provinces with all the trade and industry are hundreds/thousands of kms from Gawadar!

Shehryar Mar 31st 2009 9:09 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 7437620)

I don't think a 'full-scale' invasion, a la Afhganistan or Iraq is ever going to happen, too risky - a few nuclear missiles launched at Israel and India etc would be the deterrant. However, small-scale 'hot-pursuits' and drone attacks in the Western region would happen - the latter have been happening anyway for the past few years, but would increase after the new Obama plan for the region announced last week.

still.unsure Mar 31st 2009 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Shehryar (Post 7437750)
I don't think a 'full-scale' invasion, a la Afhganistan or Iraq is ever going to happen, too risky - a few nuclear missiles launched at Israel and India etc would be the deterrant. However, small-scale 'hot-pursuits' and drone attacks in the Western region would happen - the latter have been happening anyway for the past few years, but would increase after the new Obama plan for the region announced last week.

i'm not sure that any interested party (US, pak government, india even, and perhaps china?) can afford to take such a small step approach without dramatically increasing their human intelligence presence in the NW frontier. hell, the 'small-scale' approach is what Israel has been using with a significantly larger intel presence and that's (arguably) barely kept the lid on the bottle. additionally, with things like the events of just the last 6 weeks taking place (cricket team attack, sharia law, lahore police attack) don't think they can afford to procrastinate on the matter.

am loathe to see the US committed to a further military stoush in the region (or anywhere, for that matter) as their approach has typically been a bit clottish and not well enough supported by intel. perhaps we'll see someone else step in? (india in an action reminiscent of indonesia in east timor in '70's?)