British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Could you afford to gamble ... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/could-you-afford-gamble-784879/)

hnd Jan 23rd 2013 7:11 pm

Could you afford to gamble ...

if you were living on benefits? Would you gamble if you were living on benefits?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...dale-year.html

Yes, I know it's the Daily Fail but the article and some of the replies raise questions which, I guess, need to be answered.

claimsboys Jan 23rd 2013 7:35 pm

Re: Could you afford to gamble ...

Thankfully I have never been on benefits, I have never in my years played a gambling, or fruit machine, the only flutter I ever have is on the Grand National and that is only ever about £20 on about 10 different horses.

It's a sad fact that those in the poorest areas are targeted. There was an article on Liverpool not so long ago, the Everton, and Anfield areas in particular. There is not a cash machine in these areas that does not charge £2 for taking out money, even to use your card, there is a charge within a shop?

If you have nothing, I suppose the allure of a big money win is an addiction for most? That coupled with what is certainly a lack of education.

UKCityGent Jan 23rd 2013 7:35 pm

There is a big difference between an addiction and gamble/speculating. I remember reading a study on this topic - there were huge difference in brainwave activity/hormonal releases during addiction rather than gambling.

Bahtatboy Jan 23rd 2013 7:58 pm

Probably would, out of desperation rather than as a pastime.

If advertising actually works, gambling's going to grow in uk: just watching Swansea v Chelsea on Sky: Swansea sponsored by 32Red replete with strip and field-side ads, and 3 gambling ads during half-time by Bet365 and BetFair. Bet365 offers a variety of bets on matches while they're in progress. Not allowed to advertise condoms, but gambling's fine.

And there's a definitely unique buzz to gambling (for me at any rate). I can only describe it as akin to the anticipation of a sexual encounter with someone new, if my memory serves me right (now what are the odds on that?).

hnd Jan 23rd 2013 8:35 pm

We very, very occasionally went to the races and our budget was strictly fixed - GBP10 per race and many times we didn't even bother to place a bet.

I do remember being invited by a friend to be a guest in his box once many years ago and couldn't quite work out why all the Japanese guests manage to pick the winner in each race. The answer was simple - they simply backed each horse to win in every race.

claimsboys Jan 23rd 2013 9:08 pm

A sexual encounter?! That has to be an individual thing.

scot47 Jan 23rd 2013 9:33 pm

Desperation and addiction are factors here. Notice how many TV shows now focus on an instant cash fix ? All those "Game Shows" with huge prizes. All those ads telling you can get rich by suing someone after an accident. Adds for "Payday Moneylenders".

Yookay is full of desperate people.

The Dean Jan 24th 2013 4:40 am

I'm curious - do people who buy a lottery ticket, even if only (say) one pound per week, regard themselves as gamblers? They are............ aren't they? :huh:

britexpat76 Jan 24th 2013 6:58 am

I am a fairly seasoned gambler who has several accounts with bookies and spread betting accounts who has won large amounts on sport and also been spanked royally (Especially on spread betting). I remember Ricky Ponting playing shit and struggling to 30 in the 1st ashes test 2006 so I sold his runs at 96 at £10 a run. (Anything less than 96 I would win £10 a run. ie he scores 56 only I win £400). He smashed 196, I remember watching every 4 he hit and thinking thats £40 gone........ The point is I was watching the match and made an (ill) informed decision whereas these machines in Bookies there is no skill involved - They pay out a set percentage. Where is the fun in that? I also never play pub bandits for the same reason.And I never talk about the night a number 99 scored 2 goals against Liverpool............

weasel decentral Jan 24th 2013 7:20 am

Originally Posted by claimsboys (Post 10501628)
A sexual encounter?! That has to be an individual thing.

the thrill of anticipation I'd imagine rather than the encounter itself. I hope

weasel decentral Jan 24th 2013 7:27 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10502278)
....spread betting accounts.... ... been spanked royally (Especially on spread betting).

I used to have a spread account on stocks and shares, not sports. It almost ruined me.
Work was not busy at the time so I used to dabble a bit (it almost turned into a full time job eventually I was doing it so much) and early wins got me a bit cocky.
Anyhoooo one fine day I did happen to be busy in work and one of the initial positions I had set up was running all day (I used to close all positions daily basically) but I had never set any stop loss.
So after all the meetings were over I returned to my computer to find I had gotten fleeced and lots of missed calls from the company asking me to transfer funds to cover the bet.
I restrict my activities to the odd race track gamble these days. The internet is a dangerous place for gambling

britexpat76 Jan 24th 2013 7:30 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10502323)
I used to have a spread account on stocks and shares, not sports. It almost ruined me.
Work was not busy at the time so I used to dabble a bit (it almost turned into a full time job eventually I was doing it so much) and early wins got me a bit cocky.
Anyhoooo one fine day I did happen to be busy in work and one of the initial positions I had set up was running all day (I used to close all positions daily basically) but I had never set any stop loss.
So after all the meetings were over I returned to my computer to find I had gotten fleeced and lots of missed calls from the company asking me to transfer funds to cover the bet.
I restrict my activities to the odd race track gamble these days. The internet is a dangerous place for gambling

With spread betting rule number 1 is always be watching the event. It ranks just ahead of never gamble when pissed.

weasel decentral Jan 24th 2013 7:38 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10502182)
I'm curious - do people who buy a lottery ticket, even if only (say) one pound per week, regard themselves as gamblers? They are............ aren't they? :huh:

of course its gambling. Just a more sanitised and state sponsored version.

i think bob geldof used to call the lottery "a tax on the stupid" :D

The Dean Jan 25th 2013 5:56 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10502335)
of course its gambling. Just a more sanitised and state sponsored version.

i think bob geldof used to call the lottery "a tax on the stupid" :D

You're right - but I bet a number of them would be shocked to be described as gamblers...........

Bahtatboy Jan 25th 2013 8:27 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10504453)
You're right - but I bet a number of them would be shocked to be described as gamblers...........

As do people who buy shares.