Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Costa Concordia salvage

Costa Concordia salvage

Old Sep 16th 2013, 9:05 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Costa Concordia salvage

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24104741

Live link of it. Quite an engineering task moving something that big stuck on rocks. Interesting to see how it plays out.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 9:50 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Costa Concordia salvage

Great bit of engineering, still can't believe it's going to be scrapped though.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome. I love stuff like this.

Love the site office location too.

Glad the Italians haven't been left to sort it out, that would have lead to all kind of disasters.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 10:02 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

I would of thought the Chinese would of bought it and recommissioned it. Sure that happened before with a car ferry that sunk.

Blimey if the Italians had been left to it I don't think it would over of moved. I wonder what its scrap value is? Must be a fraction on the $700m cost of moving it
Old Sep 16th 2013, 10:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I'll have it.

Would make a wicked paintball arena.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
I wonder what its scrap value is? Must be a fraction on the $700m cost of moving it
Well if you look at it's tonnage of 114,500 and at say 180GBP/T you are looking at about 21M GBP, but that is considering it as all being steel. There must be a considerable amount that isn't. So say 15M GBP.

Personally I would have made it environmentally safe and left it.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 11:36 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Shame - diving it would have been really interesting
Old Sep 16th 2013, 11:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Well if you look at it's tonnage of 114,500 and at say 180GBP/T you are looking at about 21M GBP, but that is considering it as all being steel. There must be a considerable amount that isn't. So say 15M GBP.

Personally I would have made it environmentally safe and left it.
Surely there is more to be made than that?

Other than being forced to, why would anyway shell out to salvage it?
Old Sep 16th 2013, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scamp
Surely there is more to be made than that?

Other than being forced to, why would anyway shell out to salvage it?
Maybe, depends what they can salvage I suppose. That was just the current steel scrap value.

I think you are right on the 'forced to' bit. I expect that it would be included in the insurance policy that in the event of it sinking in shallow waters / running aground they would be liable to remove it.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 12:25 pm
Account Closed

Maybe, depends what they can salvage I suppose. That was just the current steel scrap value.

I think you are right on the 'forced to' bit. I expect that it would be included in the insurance policy that in the event of it sinking in shallow waters / running aground they would be liable to remove it.
Hmm, quite.

Cool to watch it happen though.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 12:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

scapping price will be based on the vessels LDT which will be a lot lower.
assume she'll be heading to Turkey so it will only be about US$300 per ldt at the moment.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 12:33 pm
Shark Fisherman

Seems to of lifted 2/3m now. I can only imaging how many twitchy bottoms there are working on it.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 12:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
scapping price will be based on the vessels LDT which will be a lot lower.
assume she'll be heading to Turkey so it will only be about US$300 per ldt at the moment.
to clarify my last, the newspapers are reporting the tonnage as 114,500 but that is her Gross Tonnage which is, confusingly, a measure of volume rather than weight.

She has a Deadweight of 8900mts so LDT will only be about 7000mts.

so her scrap value will only be USD 2.1 million or thereabouts. doesnt really cover much of the salvage costs.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

ADteacher is an unknown quantity at this point

Looking at some of the shots, it's still shocking to see just how stupidly close to the island he took the ship!
Old Sep 16th 2013, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ADteacher
Looking at some of the shots, it's still shocking to see just how stupidly close to the island he took the ship!
I dont think she was that close when he holed her. The Idiot steered her in closer to stop her going down completely. Thats before he tripped and fell into the lifeboat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.